Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsloan
the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.
Originally Posted by flyingvee
Ha, I guess my greenness is showing! This is only my third year as a 1K. Soon I'll learn to let go of my optimism and faith in humanity.
Naw - you'll just be one of those 1Ks sitting in Y who get served a snack box and then comment to the FA: "But I wanted the _new_ brains"

(this _is_ the DYKWIA thread...)

David
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw - you'll just be one of those 1Ks sitting in Y who get served a snack box and then comment to the FA: "But I wanted the _new_ brains"

(this _is_ the DYKWIA thread...)

David
You win the thread!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by flyingvee
Ha, I guess my greenness is showing! This is only my third year as a 1K. Soon I'll learn to let go of my optimism and faith in humanity.
The longest journey begins with the smallest steps.....don't forget that you are posting with people who flew with the Wright brothers on this forum
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Here's a new angle for your consumption.

Waiting in SDF for my return to EWR. No boarding lanes so the usual lousing starts to occur. GA begins the pre-board process and I notice a deadheading pilot from another airline not affiliated with United start to push forward, his BP has BG1. GA calls 'those needing more time to board' and an elderly couple gets on. Military is called but there are none. Pilot begins to move towards the scanner when she calls GS so I scan and get on.

I've stowed my bag and was getting my laptop out when the deadheader, who was sitting across the aisle, says, 'Next time you should make sure the gate agent can see your name on the pass instead of just scanning it and getting on'.

I tell him I'll take it under advisement and he says, 'You better'.

I kind of chuckled at that point and got on with my emails. Long story short, I think he was not pleased that he wasn't on first since he had to stow his bag one row back and not over his seat since the cruddy EMB would only fit my bag in that row.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by AugustusM

I've stowed my bag and was getting my laptop out when the deadheader, who was sitting across the aisle, says, 'Next time you should make sure the gate agent can see your name on the pass instead of just scanning it and getting on'.

I kind of chuckled at that point and got on with my emails. Long story short, I think he was not pleased that he wasn't on first since he had to stow his bag one row back and not over his seat since the cruddy EMB would only fit my bag in that row.
He probably didn’t think you “looked” like Global Services. I’ve had a couple of those recently.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I would have just replied “and how would him/her seeing my name matter since they already checked my ID at TSA and not at the gate or do you think they are psychic?” OR “Maybe you haven’t flown in a long time, but they haven’t checked IDs and names at gates in the last several decades”.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:33 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Waiting in SDF for my return to EWR. No boarding lanes so the usual lousing starts to occur. GA begins the pre-board process and I notice a deadheading pilot from another airline not affiliated with United start to push forward, his BP has BG1. GA calls 'those needing more time to board' and an elderly couple gets on. Military is called but there are none. Pilot begins to move towards the scanner when she calls GS so I scan and get on.

LOL what difference does the GA seeing your name before you scan make? After you scan, your name and seat number always show up on the scanner screen anyway. And they can also see it on their computer monitor. He was definitely not happy that you got to board before him!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
He probably didn’t think you “looked” like Global Services. I’ve had a couple of those recently.

I didn't. Not with my wool beanie and 2 days without shaving.

But I wonder if he even knew what that is being he was from XXXXX Airlines.

Originally Posted by S.R
LOL what difference does the GA seeing your name before you scan make? After you scan, your name and seat number always show up on the scanner screen anyway. And they can also see it on their computer monitor. He was definitely not happy that you got to board before him!

I thought about giving him that whole rundown but I figured he was just in a pissy mood since he couldn't get on first and that it wouldn't matter.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:41 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

I read that as boarding in SFO for a EWR flight and had a bit of a shock at the end of the post when I though about the horror of flying that route in an E75.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by S.R

Absolutely. I wait for the beep to make sure I'm actually reconciled onto the flight / I haven't had a last-second upgrade or seat change / I'm actually using the right boarding pass on the right flight... but once it give the "happy beep" the agent is already mentally done caring about you, IME. Only the "angry beep" draws any kind of attention.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

A guy took my bag out of a bin and moved it across the aisle a couple of rows behind me to make space for his. If I had not seen him doing it, I would been in a total panic when we landed and I found my bag missing. I spoke up and of course he lied and said he would have told me but he had no way of knowing who to tell. It still makes me mad to think about it.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by S.R

Right, and what about mobile boarding passes...the GA is supposed to look at all of our screens before we scan? What airline is this guy working for?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tizzette
A guy took my bag out of a bin and moved it across the aisle a couple of rows behind me to make space for his. If I had not seen him doing it, I would been in a total panic when we landed and I found my bag missing. I spoke up and of course he lied and said he would have told me but he had no way of knowing who to tell. It still makes me mad to think about it.
I trust you called the FA and forced him to put yours back. (I would have done at least that; or if I noticed him taking it down, I'd yell "STOP THIEF!")
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Right, and what about mobile boarding passes...the GA is supposed to look at all of our screens before we scan? What airline is this guy working for?
It started with 'S' and rhymed with 'fear it'.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Boarding gate E12 at ORD last night for ORD-SLC. No priority line signs at gate. Group 1 boarded, as I was walking to gate, agent called group 1-3, so we got in line. I'm about 3 people from gate reader and I get nudge from behind with an iphone from someone trying to walk around me. I turned around, and said "I'm group 1 too, dude." Thankfully he kept his mouth shut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.