Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Read first line, immediately thought they Sound like unearned/gifted/corporate GS or MM designees since not using Global Reception
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There is something about that particular line. Two side by side with a rope - sign at the beginning but a 90 degree turn along the way - not terribly clear there's a difference when you're at the head of the line.

And 1K / Polaris usually has no one.

Funny the GS don't know their lobby benefit.
So I’m a bit confused... was there actually only one line with two signs above it or were there two signs representing two lines but the agent was only recognizing one?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GDL
Was this at SFO terminal 3 or in the International terminal? I believe the GS check-in area is in terminal 3, which would make for a very long walk if you were in International terminal.
I am more amused than surprised by such bickering. A thread like this one has made me more aware at all the nonsense ant entitled behavior happening around airports. It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.
This was T3.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

So I’m a bit confused... was there actually only one line with two signs above it or were there two signs representing two lines but the agent was only recognizing one?
the latter. 2 lines; 2 signs, but the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line. I do not blame the agent/UA at all. She was very nice; kept asking what people needed and if they were just checking a bag; did it for them at the machines. She bent over backwards to be nice to this gentlemen who clearly didn't deserve it.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
the latter. 2 lines; 2 signs, but the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line. I do not blame the agent/UA at all. She was very nice; kept asking what people needed and if they were just checking a bag; did it for them at the machines. She bent over backwards to be nice to this gentlemen who clearly didn't deserve it.
I didn’t see it, so I defer to you who did -

but in this case I might have questioned in the same way GS2 did. I wonder if GS1 could have said “the agent isn’t allowing two lines” rather than just “that’s not a line”. But tone (for both GS1 and 2) maters a lot.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line
Limited staffing is a big problem at SFO T3 Premier check-in counters virtually all day. The two times I've had to drop a bag recently there were either 1 or 2 agents working, a row of unstaffed kiosks, and a long line.

The UA employees managing the lines are not at all happy about it because they have to field complaints from angry Premiers all day long. They say that line-cutting by non-Premiers is also a big problem. UA has now put up manned barriers to block access, but apparently people just sneak under and the contract agents staffing the kiosks won't send them back.

This is purely cost cutting by UA. It matches up with what they're doing to the onboard Polaris service.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee

This is purely cost cutting by UA. It matches up with what they're doing to the onboard Polaris service.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the FAs they cut from the Polaris flights could work the desk!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:55 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
...wondering why they didn’t just use the GS lobby?
My experience with the SFO GS lobby is that it often has a 3-5 person line in it so isn't worth anything other than getting to hop the TSA line.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
That seems like something everybody should be writing to complain about then. Part of being GS/1K or flying "Polaris" is that you're not supposed to be stuck in a single line with everyone else.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH
My experience with the SFO GS lobby is that it often has a 3-5 person line in it so isn't worth anything other than getting to hop the TSA line.
The Premier check-in often has a 10-20 person line.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That seems like something everybody should be writing to complain about then. Part of being GS/1K or flying "Polaris" is that you're not supposed to be stuck in a single line with everyone else.
I agree with you. If you don’t like it, do something. Write in. Call in. Contact your corporate contacts.

But I’m sorry. Just because a line is closed, grown men have absolutely no right to be downright snobby, rude, or an ahole to other people and bicker like little five year olds. There’s rarely any justification for such snobby attitude displayed by the GS #2 imo.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:43 pm

There’s rarely any justification for such snobby attitude displayed by the GS #2 imo.
And GS#1, for that matter
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
1K Zombie Apocalypse.
Only once in a very long while does someone utter or write a brief pithy phrase that captures a concept so accurately and poetically. Well done!

The NRT preboarding area is a pretty good compromise, I think. UA is on a tightrope. They actually have ten boarding groups, but they don't want anybody to know that. If it were transparent, then they'd have constant DYKWIA from non-elite first-class pax and Silver elites, and everyone in between, who are all the way down in groups 6 or 7.

Maybe this is just temporary, and next year it'll be smoother when there are fewer 1Ks due to the higher PQD requirements and the reduction in GPU/RPU earnings.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by flyingvee
Maybe this is just temporary, and next year it'll be smoother when there are fewer 1Ks due to the higher PQD requirements and the reduction in GPU/RPU earnings.
People have been saying that since 2013 when PQD requirement was first announced. Hasn't happened yet.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
People have been saying that since 2013 when PQD requirement was first announced. Hasn't happened yet.
Ha, I guess my greenness is showing! This is only my third year as a 1K. Soon I'll learn to let go of my optimism and faith in humanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.