Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manstein58
Those boots are eerily similar to the Nazguls' boots in LOTR!! Egads!
actually those are chanel. :sigh: don’t even get me started on how i know that
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is my problem with 1K pre-boarding. There's no line to cut into (except at NRT).
In HKG, in December they also organized a line for the 1Ks. I think it's to follow the same modus operandi that they had before. They always have agents going through the lines checking passports and boarding passes and in the process they make sure that passengers are in the correct lines. The checking of everyone in every line happens too in PVG and PEK.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Not quite a DYKWIA but my wife , my GS companion, was waiting to board a recent flight and a lady crowding the boarding area clearly annoyed when they called for GS, and my wife said excuse me as she boarded
the lady said really really loudly,

“you go fancy lady”, she then proceeded to drink several glasses of her preferred wine , spilling the last glass, and being really rude to the flight attendants

my wife proactively complimented them and wrote a letter in their support
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:44 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
This AM first flight ORD > LGA GS shows up at the end of boarding with a roller board and huge carry-on while he's in 1A. Proceeds to berate the FA when they calmly say "let's see if we can find anything farther back for you...". Ultimately found him something a few rows into coach but he wouldn't let it go. As we disembark he was still complaining loudly to the FA about "being late for meetings" because he had to wait 90 seconds to get his bag. I just stared at him until we made direct eye contact for long enough that I guess he got uncomfortable and shut up. People are ridiculous. Not what I needed after a 3:40 AM wake-up call on a -5 degree day in Chicago.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2019 at 5:45 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
This is my problem with 1K pre-boarding. There's no line to cut into (except at NRT).

Instead, people hover somewhere near the entrance to the gate area and more-or-less wait for 1K pre-boarding to be called -- but since there's no line, it's impossible for anybody to tell the difference between other 1Ks waiting for the pre-boarding call and non-1Ks who like to stand near the gate... and so you get this mass of people all independently moving toward the gate agent like the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.
That is exactly my point. And that GAs call the groups in seemingly random order, it makes it even more of a cluster. Obviously, for bag issues, I usually don't care- except if I'm in a bulkhead row, on a small 318/19 especially. Other than that it just irks my inner (and usually dormant) order freak. I LOVE lines. They are simple, they are monovariable. Everyone knows what the order is. The degrees of freedom in the BP doesn't need to be there.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PushingTin
That is exactly my point. And that GAs call the groups in seemingly random order, it makes it even more of a cluster. Obviously, for bag issues, I usually don't care- except if I'm in a bulkhead row, on a small 318/19 especially. Other than that it just irks my inner (and usually dormant) order freak. I LOVE lines. They are simple, they are monovariable. Everyone knows what the order is. The degrees of freedom in the BP doesn't need to be there.
Ditto on the benefit of lines, but the order is very clear and the gate area monitors reinforce that -- so except for the (smaller and smaller number) of GAs that go rogue no 1K should be surprised by the pecking order at this point. As the GA paged at the beginning of my last trip "Our final pre-boarding group is here more often than I am -- our Premier 1K flyers, you know who you are -- 100,000 or more miles per year -- you are welcome to pre-board and thank you for your business..."
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As the GA paged at the beginning of my last trip "Our final pre-boarding group is here more often than I am -- our Premier 1K flyers, you know who you are -- 100,000 or more miles per year -- you are welcome to pre-board and thank you for your business..."
Well, not quite true. Three round-trips in paid Z east coast to SIN gets you enough PQM for 1K.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC

Instead, people hover somewhere near the entrance to the gate area and more-or-less wait for 1K pre-boarding to be called -- but since there's no line, it's impossible for anybody to tell the difference between other 1Ks waiting for the pre-boarding call and non-1Ks who like to stand near the gate... and so you get this mass of people all independently moving toward the gate agent like the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.
Guess I'm the odd one out here, I don't mind this at all. Even out of IAH where 1K pre-boarding is 20+, it's a generic "shuffle" to get on the plane. No real line, but definitely a lot less anxiety then when it was G1 and you could be 50 people back. The (still large) pre-boarding group is small enough to where there's no anxiety to ensure you don't get cut in the non-existent pre-board line, IMO.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
This morning at SFO; premier check-in area was a bit weird. But that's no excuse to GS members. I'm sorry but this guy gives you guys a bad rep. So, there are two lines, GS/1K,Polaris and Premier.

Everyone appears to be lined up in Premier. I line up in 1K,Polaris line (and GS) and ...

GS#1 says "that's not a line".
Me: "Ok, thanks" and I line up behind everyone else in the Premier line.
Wait 2 minutes...
GS#2: <Lines up in the 1K/Polaris/GS line that I was just in>
GS#1: "That's not a line"
GS#2: "I'm GS" "Who are you" "I don't have to listen to you"
GS#1: "Hey man, I'm GS too. The agent told me to line up here; there's only one line"
GS#2: "Shut up. Who are you. I'm GS"
<insert 90 seconds of bickering like 5 year olds>
Agent: <Tells GS#2 that he's not in a line and he moves to the back of the queue like everyone else>

I mean seriously guys. These were grown men wearing wedding rings. It's not a freaking contest about who has the biggest ego. Grow up. If I'm in my 20s and I understand the concept of lines, you have had 20-30+ years longer to understand the concept of lines. <Insert comment about how I wish I could publicly shame some people but i bet you if I stuck my neck out that guy would just be an ahole right back...so I post it on Flyertalk>
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
This morning at SFO; premier check-in area was a bit weird. But that's no excuse to GS members. I'm sorry but this guy gives you guys a bad rep. So, there are two lines, GS/1K,Polaris and Premier.

Everyone appears to be lined up in Premier. I line up in 1K,Polaris line (and GS) and ...

GS#1 says "that's not a line".
Me: "Ok, thanks" and I line up behind everyone else in the Premier line.
Wait 2 minutes...
GS#2: <Lines up in the 1K/Polaris/GS line that I was just in>
GS#1: "That's not a line"
GS#2: "I'm GS" "Who are you" "I don't have to listen to you"
GS#1: "Hey man, I'm GS too. The agent told me to line up here; there's only one line"
GS#2: "Shut up. Who are you. I'm GS"
<insert 90 seconds of bickering like 5 year olds>
Agent: <Tells GS#2 that he's not in a line and he moves to the back of the queue like everyone else>

I mean seriously guys. These were grown men wearing wedding rings. It's not a freaking contest about who has the biggest ego. Grow up. If I'm in my 20s and I understand the concept of lines, you have had 20-30+ years longer to understand the concept of lines. <Insert comment about how I wish I could publicly shame some people but i bet you if I stuck my neck out that guy would just be an ahole right back...so I post it on Flyertalk>
Can’t wait for the corresponding post in the GS benefits thread with someone complaining about how GS has gone down the tubes because they couldn’t cut the line 🙂

wondering why they didn’t just use the GS lobby?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Can’t wait for the corresponding post in the GS benefits thread with someone complaining about how GS has gone down the tubes because they couldn’t cut the line 🙂

wondering why they didn’t just use the GS lobby?
i assume because it wasn’t open? When does it open on weekdays?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:24 am

This morning at SFO;
I know there are entitled folks at every airport, but I feel like I see something similar every time at SFO in the premier check-in area.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by bman1002
I know there are entitled folks at every airport, but I feel like I see something similar every time at SFO in the premier check-in area.
There is something about that particular line. Two side by side with a rope - sign at the beginning but a 90 degree turn along the way - not terribly clear there's a difference when you're at the head of the line.

And 1K / Polaris usually has no one.

Funny the GS don't know their lobby benefit.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:44 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM

i assume because it wasn’t open? When does it open on weekdays?
Was this at SFO terminal 3 or in the International terminal? I believe the GS check-in area is in terminal 3, which would make for a very long walk if you were in International terminal.
I am more amused than surprised by such bickering. A thread like this one has made me more aware at all the nonsense ant entitled behavior happening around airports. It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by GDL
It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.
Other than trying to be a nice person in general, this is why I try to avoid being snippy to other folks at the airport :-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.