Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
...She made sure to tell me she was GS. I fear for the future.
Maybe “Companion GS” with enabler seated?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Should have told her to call the GS line while the door was still open.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:53 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by enviroian
What did you say? I certainly would have spoken my mind if someone kept calling me rude and a tool.
I did almost get into a fight with someone like that boarding a plane once. They don't expect you to stand your ground.

Just wish my girlfriend wasn't there, because she gave me an earful for making a scene.

Some people, though, shouldn't be allowed to fly planes. More people should call them out and stand their ground.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
A bit later she tried questioning me, I just said “I don’t want to talk to you” and found my earphones, cranked up the Christmas music Yes, I think it more likely that she’s a GS companion, but if the real GS is her husband, he’s no prize peach either. Enjoy my country, terrible family.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not an elite DYKWIA but yesterday SMF-DEN a female teen with a knee immobilizer was making a scene at the gate about having to sit in a middle seat at the back of the plane. Shouting at the gate agent, asking for her manager, crying, calls to Grandma, who booked the ticket, demands for a refund until she realized that a refund would mean she wasn't flying and general attitude. She also took the opportunity to extoll about the virtues of Southwest and how she never has any troubles with this and United was mean and didn't want her to fly. Her mother (I assume) accompanied her to the gate and based on her lack of correction of the teen, clearly enables this type of behavior. She eventually boarded and took her middle row seat near the back of the plane, thankfully out of earshot for me in 21F. I love traveling around the holidays - so much cheer!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Not an elite DYKWIA but yesterday SMF-DEN a female teen with a knee immobilizer was making a scene at the gate about having to sit in a middle seat at the back of the plane. Shouting at the gate agent, asking for her manager, crying, calls to Grandma, who booked the ticket, demands for a refund until she realized that a refund would mean she wasn't flying and general attitude. She also took the opportunity to extoll about the virtues of Southwest and how she never has any troubles with this and United was mean and didn't want her to fly. Her mother (I assume) accompanied her to the gate and based on her lack of correction of the teen, clearly enables this type of behavior. She eventually boarded and took her middle row seat near the back of the plane, thankfully out of earshot for me in 21F. I love traveling around the holidays - so much cheer!
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!

Seriously Gen Z is very entitled. Their parents ensured that everyone was a winner and that they got whatever they wanted. I see these kids as freshman students at university and the sense of entitlement some of these kids display is amazing. Some parents contact me (against the FERP rules for me to discuss a student with anyone) to "fix" the issue that will cause a student to fail a class. No accountability by the student. The parents of some of the Gen Z population are responsible for these entitled brats. I feel extremely sorry for that GA. Bet the mom is partying this weekend! It is the festive season.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!
lol ^
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Some horrid holiday behavior from the once-a-year crowd
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Not a millennial, at least in 50s.
I've rarely ran into a millenial DYKWIA when it comes to plane behaviour. Its usually the old folk (50+) like the clearly miserable hag in your story.

Originally Posted by manstein58
Some horrid holiday behavior from the once-a-year crowd
Sorry, but the most DYKWIAs in this thread are part of the GS/1K crowd.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I've rarely ran into a millenial DYKWIA when it comes to plane behaviour. Its usually the old folk (50+) like the clearly miserable hag in your story.
IME no one generation has a monopoly on boorish behavior. Flying ex-SFO I run into plenty of 20 or 30-somethings exhibiting DYKWIA behavior. Often relating to their electronic devices, or the general sense of entitlement and self-importance that has become endemic in the bay area these days. I've also certainly witnessed/experienced anti-social behavior by older pax as well.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

A minute later GS was called, and I said, "Excuse me please..."
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
A bit later she tried questioning me, I just said “I don’t want to talk to you” and found my earphones, cranked up the Christmas music Yes, I think it more likely that she’s a GS companion, but if the real GS is her husband, he’s no prize peach either. Enjoy my country, terrible family.
Tried questioning you? She sounds like a psychopath.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

A minute later GS was called, and I said, "Excuse me please..."
Happened to me a while back , same question, same answer from me , pax asked me why didn't tell him I was GS , I told him he didn't ask
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Happened to me a while back , same question, same answer from me , pax asked me why didn't tell him I was GS , I told him he didn't ask
I should have said with a crestfallen face, "I was until seven years ago. But no more..."
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
I should have said with a crestfallen face, "I was until seven years ago. But no more..."
Just a coaching moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.