Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Nomination for DYKWIA of the Year

I boarded a 737 at EWR and sat down in my assigned 1A. Behind me, in 2A, was a gentleman yelling into his cellphone -- certainly loud enough I could not ignore him. I had apparently wandered into his conversation mid-stream, when he was demanding to speak with a supervisor. When connected, he made the following points (in a loud, angry voice):
  • I've been a 1K for three years! I'm one of UA's very best customers!
  • I have TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES in my account!
  • I fly BILLIONS of flights a week (yes, he really said that).
He had two complaints:

1. He didn't get PRE-CHECK on this flight, and wasted 45 minutes of his life waiting in the standard security line. He was *certain* that this was caused by the UA APP updating earlier in the day, and dropping his KTN from his reservation. While I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, I assume the agent explained that PRE-CHECK is not guaranteed -- that it can randomly be withheld on any flight by TSA, and there's nothing UA can do about that. Yep, in my 250K BIS this year, I've had it happen three times, including one SSSS, despite having had Global Entry for eight years.

2. He was furious that he was upgraded earlier in the day and his wife wasn't. He said that as a 1K, his wife is upgraded with him *every* time except today. He said when he was upgraded, there were three other seats empty* and his wife was entitled to one of them. I assume at that point the agent explained the concept of split PNRs, but he *demanded* compensation of a $100 ETC. I don't know if he got it, because he replied, "I'll be calling Oscar tomorrow and I want your name and ID number." (Why he should get compensation because his wife didn't get a companion CPU is another question...)

*I know where those three seats went -- I along with two other full biz fare GS pax from an international flight that came in to EWR early did an SDC from our original later connection flight into them. And then there were none. Sorry!

Sir, if you're reading this, I understand your frustration. But you were unbelievably rude to the UA phone agent, and simply wrong on both counts. When you travel a lot, things happen.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n198ua
I was flying exSFO on a full 737 and sitting in 1B. One of the last to board was a woman who loudly was complaining to the flight attendants that she was 1K and paid $3000 for the ticket and had to sit in economy. She repeated this several times and how she couldn’t believe she had to sit in the back. It was all I could do to refrain from telling her I was a lowly 2P flying on a K-fare and had paid around $200 TOD at check in to fly in F ^ She was really perturbed when she had to gate check her bag b/c all the bins were full.
To be slightly fair to s/he, I’ve been pretty miffed booking a super last minute (same day departure) transcon fare for $2,200 with no remaining F for sale, and getting a middle seat in regular Y (not even E+) ... only to learn that the intern on my team on same flight paid $149 for a TOD at T-24 to upgrade himself. Agreed, though, the difference is I don’t complain to everyone about it
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau

To be slightly fair to s/he, I’ve been pretty miffed booking a super last minute (same day departure) transcon fare for $2,200 with no remaining F for sale, and getting a middle seat in regular Y (not even E+) ... only to learn that the intern on my team on same flight paid $149 for a TOD at T-24 to upgrade himself. Agreed, though, the difference is I don’t complain to everyone about it
And I agree with you, if I had been in her shoes I'd of been upset too. It was the way she was going about it that was super-DYKWIA.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n198ua
And I agree with you, if I had been in her shoes I'd of been upset too. It was the way she was going about it that was super-DYKWIA.
THAT I can imagine ... it’s probably the same SFO 1K lady that rolled her overstuffed carryon over the ankle of a disabled 90 year old woman on the jetway as she pushed passed her, during the call for GS preboarding. I did actually speak to her about it after the flight was done - I waited at the end of the jetway and asked her to show more courtesy and respect next time. She looked at me speechless!!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau

THAT I can imagine ... it’s probably the same SFO 1K lady that rolled her overstuffed carryon over the ankle of a disabled 90 year old woman on the jetway as she pushed passed her, during the call for GS preboarding. I did actually speak to her about it after the flight was done - I waited at the end of the jetway and asked her to show more courtesy and respect next time. She looked at me speechless!!
What is wrong with people ?! I have no words.....
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Last 1/4 of boarding.
I’m in row 3 and hear the guy walk on and say to the FA in the galley.
“They said at the counter that F is full! There are empty seats.”
(Not really looking up from making the PDB tray) “The plane hasn’t finished boarding sir.”

Not the most egregious case but apparently we should know that once he graces the plane with his presence that they should close the door behind him.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wxguy
*I know where those three seats went -- I along with two other full biz fare GS pax from an international flight that came in to EWR early did an SDC from our original later connection flight into them. And then there were none. Sorry!
Every time I do something like this, I think about the people on the other side who are probably convinced it was either shenanigans or $39 upgrades to kettles
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Every time I do something like this, I think about the people on the other side who are probably convinced it was either shenanigans or $39 upgrades to kettles
Ah, yes, the SDC. I've done this before and gotten some angry, angry, nasty looks (they can look at the seat maps, you know ).

I've been so tempted to flash my old UA Silver card/tag (or better yet, my old US Silver credentials) to see their reactions
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
This is going back several years, but I've never forgotten the incident.

Checking bag at DCA for an international itin. Guy saunters up to the premiere lane, wife and kid in stroller hanging back. The guy says, "We are checking in for the flight to Denver." The Agent looks at him, a bit puzzled, and says, "We don't have any flights to Denver, sir. Perhaps you have a connection?"

Guy immediately gets huffy, saying he knows where he's going, etc. So the agent asks for his itin, looks at it, and then says, "Sir, you're at the wrong airport. Your flight leaves from Dulles."

Guy proceeds to go ballistic, starts yelling at the agent, telling her that he's elite, their best customer, gives them hundreds of thousands in business every year, and by God she better get him to Denver." His wife looked like she wanted to get swallowed up by a giant crack in the earth, but this DYKWIA was not going to be deterred and continued his ranting and demands. I left before I could see the resolution.

I felt awful for the agent and was thisclose to saying, "Sir, you're the one who showed up at the wrong airport. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer." But was reminded of the incident a colleague had recently told me about. She was checking in in the Elite lane and a similarly entitled DYKWIA showed up super-late for an international itin, yelling for everyone to get out of their way and for the agents at the check-in desk to hold the plane for them. When my little old lady colleague (truly a little old lady, about 5 ft tall and so kind and mild mannered) looked at him and said "Perhaps you should have strived to arrive to the airport on time for your flight," this DYKWIA made a fist, cocked his hand, and barely refrained from belting her.

I truly feel for UA staff who not only have to deal with entitled DYKWIAs, but those who become enraged enough to be dangerous.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by big V
This is going back several years, but I've never forgotten the incident.

Checking bag at DCA for an international itin. Guy saunters up to the premiere lane, wife and kid in stroller hanging back. The guy says, "We are checking in for the flight to Denver." The Agent looks at him, a bit puzzled, and says, "We don't have any flights to Denver, sir. Perhaps you have a connection?"

Guy immediately gets huffy, saying he knows where he's going, etc. So the agent asks for his itin, looks at it, and then says, "Sir, you're at the wrong airport. Your flight leaves from Dulles."

Guy proceeds to go ballistic, starts yelling at the agent, telling her that he's elite, their best customer, gives them hundreds of thousands in business every year, and by God she better get him to Denver." His wife looked like she wanted to get swallowed up by a giant crack in the earth, but this DYKWIA was not going to be deterred and continued his ranting and demands. I left before I could see the resolution.

I felt awful for the agent and was thisclose to saying, "Sir, you're the one who showed up at the wrong airport. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer." But was reminded of the incident a colleague had recently told me about. She was checking in in the Elite lane and a similarly entitled DYKWIA showed up super-late for an international itin, yelling for everyone to get out of their way and for the agents at the check-in desk to hold the plane for them. When my little old lady colleague (truly a little old lady, about 5 ft tall and so kind and mild mannered) looked at him and said "Perhaps you should have strived to arrive to the airport on time for your flight," this DYKWIA made a fist, cocked his hand, and barely refrained from belting her.

I truly feel for UA staff who not only have to deal with entitled DYKWIAs, but those who become enraged enough to be dangerous.
I feel like I would have burst out laughing in this situation That being said, I have also mixed up DCA and IAD.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You left without watching DCA guy finish?? I would have taken a later flight for this theater!

With the roller bag mowing over an old lady that’s when my 6’2” long legs would have quickly got behind him and accidentally put one of my size 12.5 clodhoppers right on the middle of his bag while he was trundling down the jetway.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:11 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
Yeah, I can relate. Arrived at cold and snowy CLE airport only to be told I had booked the flight for the same date but in the next month. Wasn't going to spend the next month of Cleveland winter waiting for my flight :-). I must admit UA was great to me that time and they re-booked me home on a connecting return flight a couple hours later.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by nomad420
Yeah, I can relate. Arrived at cold and snowy CLE airport only to be told I had booked the flight for the same date but in the next month. Wasn't going to spend the next month of Cleveland winter waiting for my flight :-). I must admit UA was great to me that time and they re-booked me home on a connecting return flight a couple hours later.
Likewise, I did it once in STL. It's the 28-day month of February that gets you while flipping through the reservation calendar. The same date falls on the same day of the week as March.
To stay on topic, I too was anything BUT a DYKWIA, which resulted in a simple complimentary change to the correct date.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
A story from a blogger: https://onemileatatime.com/cops-called-on-flight/

Ben had some drama on his UA flight, got an ETC out of it, and the cops were called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.