Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by caliform
I try to be police...
Do you flash a badge?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
The threat of arrest really tends to get me the best treatment
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:12 pm

Luggage ettiquette

So I had my first dykwia indicent on United.

I boarded a flight in geoup one like i like I always do. We were on an embraer 175. I shove my bag overhead and my backpack under the seat I. Front of me. all good so far.

Thwn thia jerk jerk comes along. He sitting in the row behind me. He starts trying to fit his back in the overhead. No dice, it’s full.

So he pulls my bag bag out and turns it sideways. I look up, tel him that’s my bag and it won’t fit that way. “Don’t worry, I got it” he says. Then he messes around a bit more.

Finally he looks at me and aays “do you mind if I move this?”

I told him flat flat out that I did and I was far more comfortable with the bag where it was. His comment?

”thanks for the help and understanding buddy”.

Now I finally did relent and move my bag for this guy. But I thought behavior was beyond entitled. I suppose there are lots of self absorbed people out there, but the brashness of this took me by surprise. Usually people ask before even messing with things.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:33 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I feel your pain! There’s nothing more annoying than people touching my stuff without asking!

If it doesn’t fit, you find an open spot elsewhere even if you have to swim upstream!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Unfortunately, there are a whole bunch of people who think they should board with (or before) GS. I've had the following push past me on a regular basis:

1) First Class with sub-1K status
2) No-status passengers with intl coach tickets ("We're Global!")
3) Credit card holders *("We get Premier access")
4) Global Entry card holders
5) Random Zone 3-5 who think you just crowd on whenever you can

Out of the airports I travel it happens most in MFR, FLL, and MCO.
MFR as in Medford?

Originally Posted by mr8
We've all been there! I remember unexpectedly qualifying for silver the first time and having no idea what it meant or what the different tiers meant. I would guess 99% of the Silver DYKWIA are due to a lack of awareness and how things work or what perks they get.

Gold requires a bit more effort, and is where I think you become more self aware of the whole system and can more fully appreciate all the perks that come from frequent flyer programs. Probably the least number of DYKWIA in this group.

Once you get to Platinum and 1k, I think you start seeing more entitled DYKWIA people again because of the extra miles that they're flying, but at the same time they haven't yet realized there are also many other people that fly a lot more. e.g. the people that cut to the front of group 1. Yes, there are many people in group 1, and they're not just standing around the sign that says group 1 - they're actually lining up to board with group 1.
I have been Silver for 2 years now (will be Gold next Wednesday on my way back from NYC). Does that mean I will be pretty average?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:53 pm

So what's the etiquette on lining up for gate checked bags in the jetway?

I just assumed it's form one line on one side, but I've seen flights where someone breaks rank and you get two lines (usually of different lengths) going. Is that a DYWIA move?

Honestly not sure what's 'right' or if they're both fine. I've always picked the longest line to be extra safe - or just sit on the plane for a while until I see the bags start coming up.

I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

I just assumed it's form one line on one side, but I've seen flights where someone breaks rank and you get two lines (usually of different lengths) going. Is that a DYWIA move?

Honestly not sure what's 'right' or if they're both fine. I've always picked the longest line to be extra safe - or just sit on the plane for a while until I see the bags start coming up.

I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
Since generally people come out of line to get their bags when they appear, I don't think it really matters how they're lined up, as long as they leave space for others to get through.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

The first person to put their bag in a bin cannot possibly tell if it's in an efficient place or not without seeing what bags come after. A certain amount of defraging I think is acceptable, especially if it just involves sliding the bag left or right a few inches within the same bin. Personally, it's when the repeated bin slamming or repeated shoving (with danger of damage) happens that I get annoyed. Or moving my bag to a different bin where I might not find it.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

IMO the DYKWIA ones are the ones who stay on the side with the bags after being told 10 times by the gate agent which side to stand on.

I think it is funny cause I wear steel toe boots and have a HEAVY bag with big wheels and I am quite sure I have rolled over or stepped on many a toe, mainly cause I can hear the cussing.
I just think to myself, if you only could have listened and maybe gotten where you were supposed to be you wouldn't be in writhing pain in your flip flops right now.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by gregoryad
MFR as in Medford?
Yup. I always think twice before boarding as GS in MFR because I get more grief there than anywhere else. For example, when I'm with my 12-yo, I get "Hey, he's a lot older than 2!" (happened more than once). People don't get GS (or any airline status) in MFR. There's a certain "egalitarian" spirit in Southern Oregon. You see that on the freeways, where a solid moiety drive really slow in the left lane, but will speed up to 85 if you try to go around them. "You can't get ahead of me. If you try, I'm going to stop you!"

To keep this on topic, one MFR guy who got a First Class upgrade insisted on boarding with me. The agent must have stopped him and explained GS to him, because he spent the entire flight trying to figure out who I was, asking me for a biz card, etc.. I pretty much said: you Don't Know Who I Am (DKWIA) and you never will.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Thwn thia jerk jerk comes along.
This is my favorite sentence ever on this website solely for the double use of the word jerk. Thanks for making me laugh.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I couldn't care less if someone wants to shift my bag around to me more efficient.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:43 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

The thread's topic is DYKWIAs sightings. Discussing or so labeling other posters is OT and not allowed by the FT rules.

Let's return to poking light-hearted fun at DYKWIAs -- always a favorite topic for the forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
DYKWIA
MFR 0500 on a flight to SFO was looking at an a320 just starting up for preflight and a guy slightly older than me comes up to me and says yep thats an a320. I said wow thats pretty cool then begins to spew off facts about the plane. I am paying half attention to be polite and the other half paying attention to see if my waitlist gets cleared yep it did. He asks where I am going and I say BKK. He says nice and immediately hes quite and I don't see him again once we board I believe I recall him passing into coach but he didn't look at me.

He looked like the type that tries really hard to impress people but fails (pretend bigshot). The kind that waits in BG3 for 20 minutes to board "first."
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by gregoryad
DYKWIA
MFR 0500 on a flight to SFO was looking at an a320 just starting up for preflight and a guy slightly older than me comes up to me and says yep thats an a320. I said wow thats pretty cool then begins to spew off facts about the plane. I am paying half attention to be polite and the other half paying attention to see if my waitlist gets cleared yep it did. He asks where I am going and I say BKK. He says nice and immediately hes quite and I don't see him again once we board I believe I recall him passing into coach but he didn't look at me.

He looked like the type that tries really hard to impress people but fails (pretend bigshot). The kind that waits in BG3 for 20 minutes to board "first."
Not exactly sure that fits the DYKWIA description; seems like he was just trying to be friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.