Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
A guy boards domestic mainline narrowbody about five minutes before boarding door closes, after all of group 5. He can't find a space in Y, goes back up to F and still can't find a space. FA tells him there are some near row 30. He doesn't like that and demands to check the roller, but not before pointedly telling another FA that he is a 'million miler former 1K' and that it's a travesty there's no space in the overhead.

FA good-naturedly asks him what his boarding group was, he says 2, and FA says they would have had loads of space for him if he'd boarded then. And on this flight, the FAs were actually proactive about protecting overhead bin space in E+.

It took him more than million miles to learn how bin space works in the era of no free checked bags.
It probably wasn't the case, but he could have been on a late connection or some other legitimate reason why he boarded so late. And it would have been worse DYKWIA behavior had he demanded the FA put his bag in the closet or move someone else's bag to make room for his.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zrs70

What I find most disturbing is that on a flight where a special meal can’t be ordered, neither option is vegetarian.
The entree salads are almost always catered with the meat separately, so they can be made vegetarian on demand.

Originally Posted by helvetic
I ordered the Jambalaya myself and it was quite good. Definitely in the top 10th percentile of domestic F meals I've had on UA, and certainly better than many a p.s. or long-haul J meal.
+1. Was thinking more jambalaya for the rest of us

Originally Posted by steve4031
It was a flight from ORD to DCA. I didn’t complain or anything. Picked what I thought was the least terrible of the two choices. I nibbled and decided it wasn’t worth it. . Quietly ate the dessert and then put my headphones on. The Fa came by and noted I had not eaten. I explained it wasn’t that good and that was ok. She offered to get the other choice. I was impressed.
Since when does ORD-DCA have meals?
Old May 7, 2018, 9:21 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by steve4031
It was a flight from ORD to DCA. I didn’t complain or anything. Picked what I thought was the least terrible of the two choices. I nibbled and decided it wasn’t worth it. . Quietly ate the dessert and then put my headphones on. The Fa came by and noted I had not eaten. I explained it wasn’t that good and that was ok. She offered to get the other choice. I was impressed.
That happened to me once. I left most of the food and the FA came over to ask if everything was alright and if I wanted anything else.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Is it DYKWIA to request a meal from Y when sitting in F? I have done this a couple of times and offered to pay. Today I was on UA 2045 from BOS to IAH and wasn't tempted by the two meals offered in F, but really would have been happy with a one of the Bistro-on-board items from Y. I hesitated not wanting to require extra effort from the F FA's coordinating with the Y, or worse having other pax decide to follow suit and thereby create even more disruption. Thoughts?
Old May 7, 2018, 10:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
Is it DYKWIA to request a meal from Y when sitting in F? I have done this a couple of times and offered to pay. Today I was on UA 2045 from BOS to IAH and wasn't tempted by the two meals offered in F, but really would have been happy with a one of the Bistro-on-board items from Y. I hesitated not wanting to require extra effort from the F FA's coordinating with the Y, or worse having other pax decide to follow suit and thereby create even more disruption. Thoughts?
I do it frequently, if the F options are unappetizing. But I'm nice about it (i.e. "do you think I could do the burger from economy instead? thank you so much!")
Old May 7, 2018, 10:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Is it DYKWIA to request a meal from Y when sitting in F?
It's strictly allowed to do so. Hardly DYKWIA. Also, no charge if you're taking it in lieu of your meal (policy is less clear if you ate the meal). Coordination isn't hard: interphone call to the back, "Hey, can you get me a burger and a tapas box when y'all push up? thanks"

I will say, if the whole F cabin asks for BoB, things get complicated fast. So I, for one, appreciate the effort to be subtle.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
It probably wasn't the case, but he could have been on a late connection or some other legitimate reason why he boarded so late. And it would have been worse DYKWIA behavior had he demanded the FA put his bag in the closet or move someone else's bag to make room for his.
Certainly there could be a legitimate cause for late boarding—and I have been through some of those late boardings myself!—but there's not really a legitimate reason to make a such a stink, replete with '1MM former 1K', in those situations.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
As a vegetarian, I've done it before when no option or veg option gone. I always ask nicely and always offer to pay, have never had an issue or been charged. Once the FA did say that they would wait until the whole Y cabin had a chance to buy and then let me know what options were left (seemed fair to me to give Y first shot). I don't think it is DYKWIA at all if you are polite. I also once had a FA see me not eating, look at the meal, say "that looks terrible" and go off to figure something out for me.

Isn't that the issue in most of these cases -- asking politely for something and accepting a "no" vs demanding something and acting entitled to it? Big difference between "If you have time and it is allowed, could I buy a BOB from Y, please?" vs "this meal is beneath the standards of a *Gold's palate, UA has gone to heck, I deserve better than this, go fetch me a box from Y!" :-)
Old May 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
oops, this might have been AA.

Originally Posted by findark
The entree salads are almost always catered with the meat separately, so they can be made vegetarian on demand.

+1. Was thinking more jambalaya for the rest of us

Since when does ORD-DCA have meals?
Now that I think about it, this might have been an American Airlines flight. It was several years ago.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Well, any of the snack boxes from economy could have been requested instead. Or the mezze sampler, assuming domestic mainline (given the hot entree option).
Spoken like a true meat eater. All of the snack boxes and other options are fairly unpalatable and the mezze sampler isn’t available on shorter hauls where everyone else gets to nosh in first.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Spoken like a true meat eater. All of the snack boxes and other options are fairly unpalatable and the mezze sampler isn’t available on shorter hauls where everyone else gets to nosh in first.
Nah, the snack boxes are even less palatable to a true meat eater. It would take a lot to get me to order one of those snack boxes even if they were free.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
no he was DYKWIA because he wanted FA to whip up a lobster dish just for him as he disliked the 2 meals on offer.
Maybe there was an edit to the post, because I'm not seeing anything about wanting the FA to "whip up a lobster dish"?
Old May 10, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Definitely not UA, FC food is pretty nasty , if something is better in the box section don't be concerned , about half the time if I see something I like at the airport I will take it on board
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I'm not exactly sure if this is DYKWIA, but it was crazy.

UA321 yesterday (MCO-IAH) boarding yesterday. There's an older woman in a wheelchair for preboarding. She had nine people with her to "assist" and that's got to be a record. I and the other folks in Group 1 started laughing when we saw the number of people with her. I'd have no problem with two or three people, but nine? Due to ugly IRROPS, I actually got to see this three times.

This was followed by another passenger that tried to preboard with a kid that was at least eight years old. At least the GAs stopped that one.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by 1120
She had nine people with her to "assist" and that's got to be a record. I and the other folks in Group 1 started laughing when we saw the number of people with her.
At that point I may have offered my assistance too, just to make it an even 10!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.