Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
That story reminds me of a time perhaps 2008 or so, in any case PMCO. I was waiting in the line to board first along with the other CO Plat, Gold, and Silvers at SMF (Sacramento). Maybe 10 of us lined up, I’m somewhere in the middle of the pack. The GA announces boarding for elites. A guy comes pushing his way up from the back, waving his Silver card and shouting “Excuse me, excuse me, I’M ELITE!” People in line are a bit taken aback but by the time he gets to me I’ve figured out what is happening. I don’t move out of his way, look at him and say something to the effect of “Welcome to the club. Now get back to the end of the line behind all of the rest of us elites.” Poor guy was absolutely devastated to find that his Silver status did not make him the only ELITE on the plane.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jtet
That story reminds me of a time perhaps 2008 or so, in any case PMCO. I was waiting in the line to board first along with the other CO Plat, Gold, and Silvers at SMF (Sacramento). Maybe 10 of us lined up, I’m somewhere in the middle of the pack. The GA announces boarding for elites. A guy comes pushing his way up from the back, waving his Silver card and shouting “Excuse me, excuse me, I’M ELITE!” People in line are a bit taken aback but by the time he gets to me I’ve figured out what is happening. I don’t move out of his way, look at him and say something to the effect of “Welcome to the club. Now get back to the end of the line behind all of the rest of us elites.” Poor guy was absolutely devastated to find that his Silver status did not make him the only ELITE on the plane.
Had that happen in FRA at the check-in counter last year. A guy ducked under the barriers they'd set up, trying to cut the long line of pax waiting to complete the pre-check-in security questions. When people asked him what he was doing, he said "I'm 1k". He got pretty grumpy when half a dozen people responded with "we all are, now get back in line".
Old May 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Million Miler former 1K'

A guy boards domestic mainline narrowbody about five minutes before boarding door closes, after all of group 5. He can't find a space in Y, goes back up to F and still can't find a space. FA tells him there are some near row 30. He doesn't like that and demands to check the roller, but not before pointedly telling another FA that he is a 'million miler former 1K' and that it's a travesty there's no space in the overhead.

FA good-naturedly asks him what his boarding group was, he says 2, and FA says they would have had loads of space for him if he'd boarded then. And on this flight, the FAs were actually proactive about protecting overhead bin space in E+.

It took him more than million miles to learn how bin space works in the era of no free checked bags.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
ORD-LAX

> FA: Would you like Chicken Sausage Jambalaya or Roast Beef Noodle Salad?
> 3F: I tried both on previous flights and they were both terrible.
> FA: �� Ok… so would you like Chicken Sausage Jambalaya or Roast Beef Noodle Salad?
> 3F: I guess I’ll have the Roast Beef Noodle Salad because it was less terrible.

Last edited by helvetic; May 7, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reason: ��
Old May 7, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by helvetic
ORD-LAX

> FA: �� Ok… so would you like Chicken Sausage Jambalaya or Roast Beef Noodle Salad?
> 3F: I guess I’ll have the Roast Beef Noodle Salad because it was less terrible.
At least his decision tree was working. Having the Roast Beef Noodle Salad must have been "less terrible" than having neither.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
ORD-LAX

That could be considered more "making conversation" than "DYKWIA".
Old May 7, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
ORD-LAX

What I find most disturbing is that on a flight where a special meal can’t be ordered, neither option is vegetarian.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70

What I find most disturbing is that on a flight where a special meal can’t be ordered, neither option is vegetarian.
Well, any of the snack boxes from economy could have been requested instead. Or the mezze sampler, assuming domestic mainline (given the hot entree option).
Old May 7, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
ORD-LAX

Originally Posted by physioprof
That could be considered more "making conversation" than "DYKWIA".
no he was DYKWIA because he wanted FA to whip up a lobster dish just for him as he disliked the 2 meals on offer.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Well, any of the snack boxes from economy could have been requested instead. Or the mezze sampler, assuming domestic mainline (given the hot entree option).
Yep... I've seen FA's proactively offer when faced with a response like that from other pax. Maybe I'm borderline DYKWIA, but I've been in that position but instead of explicitly complaining about the selections managed a "eh...may I have the (whatever box I'm in the mood for that morning) from the back, instead please?"
Old May 7, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
no he was DYKWIA because he wanted FA to whip up a lobster dish just for him as he disliked the 2 meals on offer.
Counterfactually, I think it would be more DYKWIA to ask for both the jambalaya and the asian beef salad coupled with "since I am a (insert UA status level)". I'd love to see the FA's reaction. Incidentally, I like the asian roast beef salad and the jambalaya isn't bad either.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:06 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I ordered the Jambalaya myself and it was quite good. Definitely in the top 10th percentile of domestic F meals I've had on UA, and certainly better than many a p.s. or long-haul J meal.

IMO this guy was DYKWIA because when asked by a complete stranger what meal option he wanted, he took it on as an opportunity to create negativity and complained about how UA's food wasn't up to his standards. If he had simply said "I'll just have the burger or tapas box from economy" instead, it would've been a non-issue.

Last edited by helvetic; May 7, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I guess I'm DYKWIA because I always turn down both of those options and either don't eat or ask for something from the back. They both are awful.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I was amazed when I didn’t eat a meal in FC and FA was concerned

It was a flight from ORD to DCA. I didn’t complain or anything. Picked what I thought was the least terrible of the two choices. I nibbled and decided it wasn’t worth it. . Quietly ate the dessert and then put my headphones on. The Fa came by and noted I had not eaten. I explained it wasn’t that good and that was ok. She offered to get the other choice. I was impressed.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Yes, GS is BG1. It would make more sense if they didn't put a group number on the boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.