Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
Isn't what you describe DYKWIA as well? "Look at me, I'm GS ... so I get all the attention"
no, if attention was demanded yes it might be, but it appears this was just passive sitting there. Did I miss something?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD

no, if attention was demanded yes it might be, but it appears this was just passive sitting there. Did I miss something?
No that was it ,just sitting there and for some reason I got attention levels l usually don't ,30% of my flights are in E+ ,last minute bookings or as in this case SDC to get home
early. My needs are that stuff works and I get there on time ,attention is not one.I would say and I am sure others GS members have the same experience that if you are behind the blue curtain it is rare to be called out for your status,I'm fine with that, generally I find that GS traveling recognition stops with a thanks for your business at the GA
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I've had a few of the FA's in F acknowledge my GS status.. one kindly states "my most loyal customers".. I'd say probably 10% of the time. I would also say I get asked first for my meal choice roughly 30% of the time. Usually, they just go front to back. I have never been asked for my second choice
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've had a few of the FA's in F acknowledge my GS status.. one kindly states "my most loyal customers".. I'd say probably 10% of the time. I would also say I get asked first for my meal choice roughly 30% of the time. Usually, they just go front to back. I have never been asked for my second choice
Well that is the policy. Ask for the orders front to back and then in the galley, away from view, prioritize the meals. If the FA went to you first (and you weren't sitting in front) or you were asked for your first or second choice, then that would be against policy.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
This might not be a DYKWIA story, but they were awful. The couple (he was about 70 and she in her late 50s or so) seated across from me in 5A/5B drove the FAs nut and were rude throughout the entire flight. Here are some of their greatest hits:
  • PDB - They made the FA list every drink available and then asked for about 5 things that they wanted that were not available (grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, Chianti).
  • She and her husband start insisting to the FA that United Wi-Fi is not working while we're still parked at the gate. Yes, it's not supposed to work but she insists that it always does for her. She then asks the flight attendant to confirm that she'll be able to watch her YouTube videos. He says she cannot stream video. She replies "United used to be a good airline."
  • The FA took the man's jacket as he was waving it at him. 10 minutes later he wanted it because he was cold. 20 minutes later he wanted it hung up.
  • When meal orders were taken they came to my husband and me (we were the only 2 GS in F) and took our meal orders first. While he was talking to us, she shouted from 5A that she needed a salad because she's on a diet and can't eat anything else. The FA gave her a salad but it didn't appear that she had status because the FA took her husband's order after everyone else.
  • About halfway through the flight she starts singing...loudly and quite awfully. This continues for about 10 minutes (I can hear her even with headphones on). The passengers in front of her ask her to be quiet. Both her husband and she are appalled. She says she needs to work on her music. I looked over and she was taking notes while she sang something. She took the pen from another FA and never gave it back.
  • We're about to land and they are pushing the call button demanding that they need to know what baggage carousel to go to. The FA opens the app and tells them. She exclaims "I never trust that app, go ask the captain." The FA walks to the front and walks back. He repeats the number and goes back to the galley.
  • Deplaning they tried to push past me and the people in row 4.
They seemed completely oblivious to everyone around them and never once said "thank you" or "please."
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: UA GS
I am surprised they didn’t put their luggage sideways in the bin. Normally that goes hand in hand.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
LAX-IAD, sitting in the exit row on a 739 (row 21 to be exact). Row 21 on other side gets up in aisle after we're at gate about to deplane. While we get closer to getting off, woman in row 20 scolds a woman from row 21 that "I leave the plane first since I'm ahead." Row 21 woman didn't want to escalate and just said OK, but honestly ridiculous from row 20 woman.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I am surprised they didn’t put their luggage sideways in the bin. Normally that goes hand in hand.
Don't forget the obligatory gripping that an F ticket does not include UA Club access on the ground. Fortunately, EWRFlyerAL wasn't exposed to the pre-flight joy this couple most assuredly provided to the UA staff on the ground...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I guess you should be happy these two jomokes are not your neighbors or relatives. Hope it was a short flight
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Unhappy

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
This might not be a DYKWIA story, but they were awful. The couple (he was about 70 and she in her late 50s or so) seated across from me in 5A/5B drove the FAs nut and were rude throughout the entire flight. Here are some of their greatest hits:
  • PDB - They made the FA list every drink available and then asked for about 5 things that they wanted that were not available (grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, Chianti).
  • She and her husband start insisting to the FA that United Wi-Fi is not working while we're still parked at the gate. Yes, it's not supposed to work but she insists that it always does for her. She then asks the flight attendant to confirm that she'll be able to watch her YouTube videos. He says she cannot stream video. She replies "United used to be a good airline."
  • The FA took the man's jacket as he was waving it at him. 10 minutes later he wanted it because he was cold. 20 minutes later he wanted it hung up.
  • When meal orders were taken they came to my husband and me (we were the only 2 GS in F) and took our meal orders first. While he was talking to us, she shouted from 5A that she needed a salad because she's on a diet and can't eat anything else. The FA gave her a salad but it didn't appear that she had status because the FA took her husband's order after everyone else.
  • About halfway through the flight she starts singing...loudly and quite awfully. This continues for about 10 minutes (I can hear her even with headphones on). The passengers in front of her ask her to be quiet. Both her husband and she are appalled. She says she needs to work on her music. I looked over and she was taking notes while she sang something. She took the pen from another FA and never gave it back.
  • We're about to land and they are pushing the call button demanding that they need to know what baggage carousel to go to. The FA opens the app and tells them. She exclaims "I never trust that app, go ask the captain." The FA walks to the front and walks back. He repeats the number and goes back to the galley.
They seemed completely oblivious to everyone around them and never once said "thank you" or "please."
Probably frequent posters in this forum, telling us how bad the service is on United.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
About halfway through the flight she starts singing...loudly and quite awfully. This continues for about 10 minutes (I can hear her even with headphones on). The passengers in front of her ask her to be quiet. Both her husband and she are appalled. She says she needs to work on her music. I looked over and she was taking notes while she sang something. She took the pen from another FA and never gave it back.
Most of this story I would consider "all in a day's work" for an FA having to put up with ornery F pax, but this is just...

How could anyone think this is acceptable behavior?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Definitely a DYKWIA story!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by physioprof
Definitely a DYKWIA story!
Or at least a "I don't care if you don't know who I am" couple.

David
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by UAL250
LAX-IAD, sitting in the exit row on a 739 (row 21 to be exact). Row 21 on other side gets up in aisle after we're at gate about to deplane. While we get closer to getting off, woman in row 20 scolds a woman from row 21 that "I leave the plane first since I'm ahead." Row 21 woman didn't want to escalate and just said OK, but honestly ridiculous from row 20 woman.
I agree with her, just not what she did. It is much more efficient and much less frustrating if you sit and wait your turn, and let those in front of you grab their things and go.
I hate the back end bum rushers....it is like driving slow in the passing lane.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
It was 10 years ago, and a lady had her 70 lb lab at her feet, middle seat. Tells the window guy to step over the dog- Oh, Heck no! We are getting ready to deplane and since it was so long ago, I inquire about if she is training a service animal. She said no, the dog is to help her with the stress of flying. The plane is completely quiet and I just say "You know what makes flying less stressful for me? Leaving my dog at home."

If you are that close to the edge on flying, you need to do something else. If you fly enough that you justify having a flying buddy dog- you really need to do something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.