Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not a DYK but still interesting to witness.
Waiting at the front door of the 773 (amazing swap!) having just landed HNL-SFO I hear the lady who jostled her way up (elbowing my Mom in the process) ask the FA as we wait for the door to open if they'll hold a flight.
The FA asked for more info saying that we are not really late so shouldn't be a problem. Lady says boarding ends at 9:25 and it's about 9:12 at this point. The FA said let me see your BP that's probably when it begins because we are only 10-12 min late. Sure enough boarding began on her flight (I forgot the number but the FA found out it was at 66 and we were at 82) at 8:55 and ended at 9:25. So yes even if we landed on time they would have been boarding before we touched the ground.
Lady then goes on and on about that we are late and it's ridiculous and that the FA should call the gate and tell them to hold. She then stopped and started talking to the jet bridge crew about holding the flight but I just kept on walking.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not a DYK but still interesting to witness.
Waiting at the front door of the 773 (amazing swap!) having just landed HNL-SFO I hear the lady who jostled her way up (elbowing my Mom in the process) ask the FA as we wait for the door to open if they'll hold a flight.
The FA asked for more info saying that we are not really late so shouldn't be a problem. Lady says boarding ends at 9:25 and it's about 9:12 at this point. The FA said let me see your BP that's probably when it begins because we are only 10-12 min late. Sure enough boarding began on her flight (I forgot the number but the FA found out it was at 66 and we were at 82) at 8:55 and ended at 9:25. So yes even if we landed on time they would have been boarding before we touched the ground.
Lady then goes on and on about that we are late and it's ridiculous and that the FA should call the gate and tell them to hold. She then stopped and started talking to the jet bridge crew about holding the flight but I just kept on walking.
Doesn't sound too DYKWIA.

Last edited by joshwex90; Aug 17, 2017 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Doesn't sound too DYKIA.
Agree. Just a fretful bird
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And the first words of my post "Not a DYK" but I guess you must have stayed reading after the I first sentence. Figured we could still post here the hapless pax harping on others for their own faults. :shrug:
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
That one time I pretended to be a DYKWIA:

Overheard outside the new C UA Club at IAH, guy to his girlfriend: "Did you know it's $10,000 a year to be a member of the United club?"

I promptly whisked past them and disappeared through the frosted blue doors. So rich. So luxurious. But you'd think my $10,000 would allow them to afford a better sparkling wine for my mimosa 😂

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Aug 11, 2017 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
That one time I pretended to be a DYKWIA:

Overheard outside the new C UA Club at IAH, guy to his girlfriend: "Did you know it's $10,000 a year to be a member of the United club?"

I promptly whisked past them and disappeared through the frosted blue doors. So rich. So luxurious. But you'd think my $10,000 would afford a better sparkling wine for my mimosa ��
C'mon Miles, we know you're a secret zillionaire...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Were you a DYKWIA? Not in the slightest. More like a security lady on a power trip. If anything she was a DYKWIA.
Securitas is all of Hawaii's airports are an absolute joke. Garbage company doing police work.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
In the SFO GFL lounge today, we have a guy in the "quiet room" conducting an extended (and loud) mobile phone conversation. Amazing.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by porciuscato
In the SFO GFL lounge today, we have a guy in the "quiet room" conducting an extended (and loud) mobile phone conversation. Amazing.
I may be a bad person, but in those cases if excessive staring doesn't get the message through, I've been known to take that as an invitation to join the conversation...
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Depending upon the conversation, I have walked up to the person and said am sure their legal counsel for the company would like to know what I heard if it is an M&A deal, or when it was a sales pitch being prepared and I knew the industry mentioned I was certain their competitor would be interested (mentioned the name of the competitor ).

Alternatively, if I am really cheesed off I sit down next to them, take out of my phone and start having a loud one way conversation.

All these are passive-aggressive reactions, and I recognize that, but if they ignore the quiet room rules I am fairly certain my asking them to be quiet is not going to make one iota difference to them since I obviously Do Not Know Who They Are!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, obviously, they needed a quiet room in order to hear their extended, loud conversation. If they were in a loud room, they couldn't have heard what was being said!

Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I just point at them until they look at me, then draw their eyes with my finger to the sign, then gently shake my finger in a no gesture. I stare at the the whole time without blinking and all without making a single sound. It works remarkably well and I have never received any negativity from the miscreant.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by timfountain
I just point at them until they look at me, then draw their eyes with my finger to the sign, then gently shake my finger in a no gesture. I stare at the the whole time without blinking and all without making a single sound. It works remarkably well and I have never received any negativity from the miscreant.
That, or simply walking up to the person and saying "Excuse me, you may not be aware but you're talking rather loudly, and this is a quiet room. Do you mind?" in a friendly tone works wonders. That way, you've made them aware of the transgression, while leaving room for them to get out of the situation without losing face, by encouraging them to think of it as an accident.

Don't assume everyone is a bad person. It's hard to gauge your own volume on the phone, and sometimes people forget about the rules.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA
Although the loud people in quiet places is annoying I don't see it as a DYKWIA in most situations. There is a better thread for that kind of event too:
Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Me back in May. I'll preface this with how I usually dress: T-shirt and shorts.

1K this year flying E, checking in at LHR, I notice that the front desks are all for E and there are about 20+ people in line. I walk around to go to the Polaris/1K desks while the English version of a red coat is saying economy check in is right here. I walk by her and have to say I'm 1K and she changes her tone to say "right over there sir" while pointing to the 1K check in.

No complaints from me, I expected it with the dress. I must have looked real smug to everyone else though.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Aug 22, 2017 at 5:20 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Although the loud people in quiet places is annoying I don't see it as a DYKWIA in most situations. There is a better thread for that kind of event too:
Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Me back in May. I'll preface this with how I usually dress: T-shirt and shorts.

1K this year flying E, checking in at LHR, I notice that the front desks are all for E and there are about 20+ people in line. I walk around to go to the Polaris/1K desks while the English version of a red coat is saying economy check in is right here. I walk by her and have to say I'm 1K and she changes her tone to say "right over there sir" while pointing to the 1K check in.

No complaints from me, I expected it with the dress. I must have looked real smug to everyone else though.
I've had a few similar experiences in the past since I also dress in shorts and a T shirt. The best one happened last January while waiting to board the SFO flight in Frankfurt. I was on my way back from a weekend trip to Bangkok so all I had was my backpack. Although casual, nothing like a young student traveler style.

As I'm standing in BG1, the guy in front of me making the assumption that I didn't belong there said I was in the "business class line" and the regular line started "over there". I apologized for being in the wrong place and showed him my BP for seat 1A in GF and asked him where the first class line was. The look on his face was priceless and I could hardly contain myself as he watched me make the left into GF when boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.