Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by fracmeister
As well as I can recollect these are the exact words exchanged between the passengers ahead of me on opposite aisles of a long domestic flight. I willrefer to them as A and B.

B continues to text well after the doors are shut and the plane is taxiing. Then he gets a call and speaks for a minute. Resumes texting.

A gets out his cell phone and and snaps a photo of B.

B: What the H*** are you doing?
A: My daughter likes me to take pictures of famous or important people I see.

B: I am not famous. Delete that now.
A: Aww but you must be important since that rule about turning off your phone doesn't apply to you!

B: That rule is stupid. Me texting doesn't affect the safety of this plane.

A: OH---I have worked with teenagers all my life--- I have heard the "That rule is dumb! It doesn't apply to me!" excuse from lots of them.

B: Shut up you (@#$@^@%#!)

A: And the kids often resort to swearing when their logic is challenged.

B: How would you like me to beat the S#@T out of you?

At this point the FA appears.

FAto B SIr, I am going to have to ask you to turn off your phone and refrain from making threats to passengers. We haven't taken off yet and I have no problems at all getting the captain to take us back to the gate where you will spend a long time chatting with the locals.

B: Shuts up the rest of the trip.

I refrained from applauding.
A should be ashamed of himself. A's behavior was far worse.

People who can't mind their own business deserve consequences.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jgsx
A should be ashamed of himself. A's behavior was far worse.

People who can't mind their own business deserve consequences.
I don't know who was worse. They were both bad.

A acted like the child he/she claims to parent. B making threats isn't less bad
Old May 3, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I recently was flying solo to Hawaii. I had a lie-flat seat. During boarding, a pax asked me to switch. No big deal, right.

Luckily, I asked in which seat she was booked. I don't remember the seat number, but it was middle seat in Y!

She didn't want a middle seat and "....you look like a nice guy!"
Old May 3, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I just don't get it - is asking to switch from Y to C, and nonchalantly at that, a thing? I've never seen it and just can't see the gall. What do they think will happen - someone will do it? And when the person realizes the seat is in Y and wants their original C seat back, do these DYKWIAs think they'll somehow win that fight?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I had a very nice 1C lie flat on the 752. Lady walks up and politely asks if I would switch with her so that she could sit next to her husband. I happily got up as I was by myself and asked which seat she was in. "11D", she said.
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I recently was flying solo to Hawaii. I had a lie-flat seat. During boarding, a pax asked me to switch. No big deal, right.

Luckily, I asked in which seat she was booked. I don't remember the seat number, but it was middle seat in Y!
It's epidemic!

Did some blogger post a new "how to" on creative ways to upgrade to F?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kevinsac

She didn't want a middle seat and "....you look like a nice guy!"
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I just don't get it - is asking to switch from Y to C, and nonchalantly at that, a thing? I've never seen it and just can't see the gall. What do they think will happen - someone will do it? And when the person realizes the seat is in Y and wants their original C seat back, do these DYKWIAs think they'll somehow win that fight?
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's epidemic!

Concern for personality disorder, if not a worse mental problem in these people! Yikes.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Concern for personality disorder, if not a worse mental problem in these people! Yikes.
Narcissistic personality disorder. Five bucks says these women are from SF and routinely do yoga poses in their seat.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Five bucks says these women are from SF and routinely do yoga poses in their seat.
Ten bucks says they do their routine yoga poses in someone else's seat!
Old May 3, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Last week, flying in 7D on a 175, ORD-IAH. Guy in 7C feels both his area and mine are really both his. His size 15's were so far into my area that I had to use the tray table to block him at times. I didn't need to read my own newspaper, as his was halfway into my area...

I finally asked if he would like me to move. He acted confused, but I explained that I don't appreciate his serious invasion into my space. While he didn't apologize, he did make more of an effort afterwards, but also commented that he his a big time flyer with UA and that he was shocked UA didn't block out a seat next him.

Later, after drink service he asked why I received a free drink and snack. I said it's a 1K perk, he responded that he is a Silver.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Last week, flying in 7D on a 175, ORD-IAH. Guy in 7C feels both his area and mine are really both his. His size 15's were so far into my area that I had to use the tray table to block him at times. I didn't need to read my own newspaper, as his was halfway into my area...

I finally asked if he would like me to move. He acted confused, but I explained that I don't appreciate his serious invasion into my space. While he didn't apologize, he did make more of an effort afterwards, but also commented that he his a big time flyer with UA and that he was shocked UA didn't block out a seat next him.

Later, after drink service he asked why I received a free drink and snack. I said it's a 1K perk, he responded that he is a Silver.
a classic
Old May 3, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
It's epidemic!

I guess there are enough people out there who think for 7 hours its worth the try, all that can happen is I say no.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
...all that can happen is I say no.
Well, if it's really prolific there may really be the occasional person who says "yes".
Sort of like telemarketers or SPAM; they wouldn't still be doing it, if there's NEVER anyone who actually says "yes"!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

doesnt get much more DYKWIA than that
Old May 3, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
IDKWYANDUA
I don't know who you are nor does United
Old May 3, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
IDKWYANDUA
I don't know who you are nor does United
ANC

And Nobody Cares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.