Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL GS; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Some horrid holiday behavior from the once-a-year crowd
Old Dec 22, 18, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Not a millennial, at least in 50s.
I've rarely ran into a millenial DYKWIA when it comes to plane behaviour. Its usually the old folk (50+) like the clearly miserable hag in your story.

Originally Posted by manstein58 View Post
Some horrid holiday behavior from the once-a-year crowd
Sorry, but the most DYKWIAs in this thread are part of the GS/1K crowd.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I've rarely ran into a millenial DYKWIA when it comes to plane behaviour. Its usually the old folk (50+) like the clearly miserable hag in your story.
IME no one generation has a monopoly on boorish behavior. Flying ex-SFO I run into plenty of 20 or 30-somethings exhibiting DYKWIA behavior. Often relating to their electronic devices, or the general sense of entitlement and self-importance that has become endemic in the bay area these days. I've also certainly witnessed/experienced anti-social behavior by older pax as well.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

A minute later GS was called, and I said, "Excuse me please..."
iluv2fly, jsloan, EricH and 29 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
A bit later she tried questioning me, I just said I dont want to talk to you and found my earphones, cranked up the Christmas music Yes, I think it more likely that shes a GS companion, but if the real GS is her husband, hes no prize peach either. Enjoy my country, terrible family.
Tried questioning you? She sounds like a psychopath.
Old Dec 22, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

Happened to me a while back , same question, same answer from me , pax asked me why didn't tell him I was GS , I told him he didn't ask
Old Dec 22, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wanderingkev View Post
Happened to me a while back , same question, same answer from me , pax asked me why didn't tell him I was GS , I told him he didn't ask
I should have said with a crestfallen face, "I was until seven years ago. But no more..."
lincolnjkc, big V and Cotumely like this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I should have said with a crestfallen face, "I was until seven years ago. But no more..."
Just a coaching moment
Old Dec 22, 18, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite

How does someone get to be 1K and NOT know there are even more privileged flyers?
mdtakamine and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
How does someone get to be 1K and NOT know there are even more privileged flyers?
I have known 1Ks that had not idea what the elite structure was, what the requirements were and no idea what GPUs were. Travel was just getting from one meeting to the next. CPUs (UDU) was created partially because those folks never understood e500s.
John Aldeborgh likes this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!

Seriously Gen Z is very entitled. Their parents ensured that everyone was a winner and that they got whatever they wanted. I see these kids as freshman students at university and the sense of entitlement some of these kids display is amazing. Some parents contact me (against the FERP rules for me to discuss a student with anyone) to "fix" the issue that will cause a student to fail a class. No accountability by the student. The parents of some of the Gen Z population are responsible for these entitled brats. I feel extremely sorry for that GA. Bet the mom is partying this weekend! It is the festive season.
Don't blame a generation for lousy parenting. This isn't a Gen Z problem, this is crap parent problem. If you're gonna blame a generation, blame the parents'.

Also let's keep in mind this is a uniquely American problem. So, really, blame modern American culture.
jb64 and John Aldeborgh like this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Don't blame a generation for lousy parenting. This isn't a Gen Z problem, this is crap parent problem. If you're gonna blame a generation, blame the parents'.

Also let's keep in mind this is a uniquely American problem. So, really, blame modern American culture.
I can assure you that this is is definitely not unique to the modern US culture. UK millenials are equally self centred.
Fizzer, wrp96, chavala and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 5:29 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix
Programs: UA LT GS/4.6MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire Elite, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC

Now thats funny 😃
Old Dec 23, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I have known 1Ks that had not idea what the elite structure was, what the requirements were and no idea what GPUs were. Travel was just getting from one meeting to the next. CPUs (UDU) was created partially because those folks never understood e500s.
This used to describe my boss. I was even giving him some of my (unused) GPU's, explaining how they worked, etc. That stopped once we found out he was a 1K.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
While I didnt quite hear a DYKWIA uttered, I had a good laugh at SEA catching 419 to IAD yesterday. The agents did their usual Disabilities, Military, GS, Parents call, and then when the agent called for 1Ks to board, this woman who was about 15 people back in the Group One line, literally started shouting... 1K, 1K, Out of the way, 1K coming through" and literally was a like a bowling ball knocking down all the people in the line in front of her to push her way to the front. Rather than getting annoyed, most of the people in the group one line all laughed at her....

Search this Thread