Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 19, 18, 5:25 am
  #901  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Happily back in Lancashire :D
Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
At EWR Enterprise rental car booth a few weeks ago:

Enterprise agent: "Hello. Do you have a reservation?"

Me: ....pause.....eventually: "I don't know. I can't remember."
(More than once...)

Cheerful Hertz check-in guy: "So where you flying today ?"

Me: Umm, not sure - let me check

That was a bit of a crazy time in my life
narvik and dorisrpas like this.
OverTheHorizon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 18, 5:52 am
  #902  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Posts: 496
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon View Post
(More than once...)

Cheerful Hertz check-in guy: "So where you flying today ?"

Me: Umm, not sure - let me check

That was a bit of a crazy time in my life
Must be a Lancashire thing I took my Hertz car back to Avis a couple of weeks ago
JVPhoto likes this.
wanderingkev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 18, 6:41 am
  #903  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Happily back in Lancashire :D
Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by wanderingkev View Post
Must be a Lancashire thing I took my Hertz car back to Avis a couple of weeks ago
LOL more of an age thing - last month I took my Heathrow-rented car back to Gatwick
OverTheHorizon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:30 pm
  #904  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,342
Boarded IAH-SYD, my favourite seat 6D on 787-9. Lady in 6E wants me to swap with her husband, I quickly refuse, suggesting that she could swap with her husband’s seatmate instead. Immediate tantrum calling me rude. Not a millennial, at least in 50s. Her husband manages to switch up to 6B, and sits there & calls me a ‘tool’ many times. I then hear that they have children back in coach+ who have trouble with the AVOD & need personal attention. She made sure to tell me she was GS. I fear for the future.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:52 pm
  #905  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,138
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Boarded IAH-SYD, my favourite seat 6D on 787-9. Lady in 6E wants me to swap with her husband, I quickly refuse, suggesting that she could swap with her husband’s seatmate instead. Immediate tantrum calling me rude. Not a millennial, at least in 50s. Her husband manages to switch up to 6B, and sits there & calls me a ‘tool’ many times. I then hear that they have children back in coach+ who have trouble with the AVOD & need personal attention. She made sure to tell me she was GS. I fear for the future.
What did you say? I certainly would have spoken my mind if someone kept calling me rude and a tool.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 7:58 pm
  #906  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IAH
Programs: UA GS (1MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Titanium"
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
I totally agree: I go through phases where once a year I will initially sit in the wrong seat maybe 3 times in a month and then revert to double-checking my seat 3-4 times after I sit down to make sure it is correct. Self-deperecation and a sense of humor is key. So far (fingers crossed) people have been very understanding!
BeanTownBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 8:28 pm
  #907  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Boarded IAH-SYD, my favourite seat 6D on 787-9. Lady in 6E wants me to swap with her husband, I quickly refuse, suggesting that she could swap with her husband’s seatmate instead. Immediate tantrum calling me rude. Not a millennial, at least in 50s. Her husband manages to switch up to 6B, and sits there & calls me a ‘tool’ many times. I then hear that they have children back in coach+ who have trouble with the AVOD & need personal attention. She made sure to tell me she was GS. I fear for the future.
GS? So presumably flies a fair bit and is incapable of sitting beside a stranger? No harm in asking and you replied. Should have been the end of the conversation.

I too would not swap from 6D or 6E, especially as those middle seats are made for people not travelling together.

if in her 50s, then unless IVF babies or surrogate pregnancy, children should have been perfectly capable of working the technology. Also, interesting she could not sit without her husband (who switched into a good seat!) but she did not feel the need for a parent to sit with one of the "children".

Sure she was GS and not GE?

I am not sure how I would respond if someone kept calling me a tool, but guess headphones would go a long way.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:07 pm
  #908  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 7,254
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
What did you say? I certainly would have spoken my mind if someone kept calling me rude and a tool.
"You would know!" is often a good response for such situations.

Seriously, perhaps that's not the best of ideas. With someone talking and behaving that way, you already know that they're at least a big unhinged. Do you really want to escalate the situation, where you're going to be confined in a small space with them for 17+ hours, just to "stand your ground?" The way I look at such situations is that with that sort of attitude, they probably live a fairly miserable life, often being upset about whatever situation they're in. My revenge is knowing that I'm living a life well lived, not constantly being upset about things like that.
LAXOGG and new_places like this.

Last edited by Steve M; Dec 21, 18 at 9:55 pm
Steve M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:23 pm
  #909  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,199
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
...She made sure to tell me she was GS. I fear for the future.
Maybe “Companion GS” with enabler seated?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:55 pm
  #910  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,057
Should have told her to call the GS line while the door was still open.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 18, 5:53 am
  #911  
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HKG, SFO, NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,419
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
What did you say? I certainly would have spoken my mind if someone kept calling me rude and a tool.
I did almost get into a fight with someone like that boarding a plane once. They don't expect you to stand your ground.

Just wish my girlfriend wasn't there, because she gave me an earful for making a scene.

Some people, though, shouldn't be allowed to fly planes. More people should call them out and stand their ground.
iluv2fly and Smrtmom1 like this.
helvetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 18, 7:25 am
  #912  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,342
A bit later she tried questioning me, I just said “I don’t want to talk to you” and found my earphones, cranked up the Christmas music Yes, I think it more likely that she’s a GS companion, but if the real GS is her husband, he’s no prize peach either. Enjoy my country, terrible family.
iluv2fly and wrp96 like this.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:03 am
  #913  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 714
Not an elite DYKWIA but yesterday SMF-DEN a female teen with a knee immobilizer was making a scene at the gate about having to sit in a middle seat at the back of the plane. Shouting at the gate agent, asking for her manager, crying, calls to Grandma, who booked the ticket, demands for a refund until she realized that a refund would mean she wasn't flying and general attitude. She also took the opportunity to extoll about the virtues of Southwest and how she never has any troubles with this and United was mean and didn't want her to fly. Her mother (I assume) accompanied her to the gate and based on her lack of correction of the teen, clearly enables this type of behavior. She eventually boarded and took her middle row seat near the back of the plane, thankfully out of earshot for me in 21F. I love traveling around the holidays - so much cheer!
RockinRon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:50 am
  #914  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by RockinRon View Post
Not an elite DYKWIA but yesterday SMF-DEN a female teen with a knee immobilizer was making a scene at the gate about having to sit in a middle seat at the back of the plane. Shouting at the gate agent, asking for her manager, crying, calls to Grandma, who booked the ticket, demands for a refund until she realized that a refund would mean she wasn't flying and general attitude. She also took the opportunity to extoll about the virtues of Southwest and how she never has any troubles with this and United was mean and didn't want her to fly. Her mother (I assume) accompanied her to the gate and based on her lack of correction of the teen, clearly enables this type of behavior. She eventually boarded and took her middle row seat near the back of the plane, thankfully out of earshot for me in 21F. I love traveling around the holidays - so much cheer!
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!

Seriously Gen Z is very entitled. Their parents ensured that everyone was a winner and that they got whatever they wanted. I see these kids as freshman students at university and the sense of entitlement some of these kids display is amazing. Some parents contact me (against the FERP rules for me to discuss a student with anyone) to "fix" the issue that will cause a student to fail a class. No accountability by the student. The parents of some of the Gen Z population are responsible for these entitled brats. I feel extremely sorry for that GA. Bet the mom is partying this weekend! It is the festive season.
windscar likes this.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:52 am
  #915  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,043
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!
lol
narvik is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread