Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 15, 18, 4:38 pm
  #886  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 980
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Every time I do something like this, I think about the people on the other side who are probably convinced it was either shenanigans or $39 upgrades to kettles
Ah, yes, the SDC. I've done this before and gotten some angry, angry, nasty looks (they can look at the seat maps, you know ).

I've been so tempted to flash my old UA Silver card/tag (or better yet, my old US Silver credentials) to see their reactions
findark likes this.
radiowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:02 pm
  #887  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Our nation's capital
Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
Posts: 616
This is going back several years, but I've never forgotten the incident.

Checking bag at DCA for an international itin. Guy saunters up to the premiere lane, wife and kid in stroller hanging back. The guy says, "We are checking in for the flight to Denver." The Agent looks at him, a bit puzzled, and says, "We don't have any flights to Denver, sir. Perhaps you have a connection?"

Guy immediately gets huffy, saying he knows where he's going, etc. So the agent asks for his itin, looks at it, and then says, "Sir, you're at the wrong airport. Your flight leaves from Dulles."

Guy proceeds to go ballistic, starts yelling at the agent, telling her that he's elite, their best customer, gives them hundreds of thousands in business every year, and by God she better get him to Denver." His wife looked like she wanted to get swallowed up by a giant crack in the earth, but this DYKWIA was not going to be deterred and continued his ranting and demands. I left before I could see the resolution.

I felt awful for the agent and was thisclose to saying, "Sir, you're the one who showed up at the wrong airport. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer." But was reminded of the incident a colleague had recently told me about. She was checking in in the Elite lane and a similarly entitled DYKWIA showed up super-late for an international itin, yelling for everyone to get out of their way and for the agents at the check-in desk to hold the plane for them. When my little old lady colleague (truly a little old lady, about 5 ft tall and so kind and mild mannered) looked at him and said "Perhaps you should have strived to arrive to the airport on time for your flight," this DYKWIA made a fist, cocked his hand, and barely refrained from belting her.

I truly feel for UA staff who not only have to deal with entitled DYKWIAs, but those who become enraged enough to be dangerous.
mdtakamine and Cotumely like this.
big V is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:13 pm
  #888  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SFO
Programs: UA
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by big V View Post
This is going back several years, but I've never forgotten the incident.

Checking bag at DCA for an international itin. Guy saunters up to the premiere lane, wife and kid in stroller hanging back. The guy says, "We are checking in for the flight to Denver." The Agent looks at him, a bit puzzled, and says, "We don't have any flights to Denver, sir. Perhaps you have a connection?"

Guy immediately gets huffy, saying he knows where he's going, etc. So the agent asks for his itin, looks at it, and then says, "Sir, you're at the wrong airport. Your flight leaves from Dulles."

Guy proceeds to go ballistic, starts yelling at the agent, telling her that he's elite, their best customer, gives them hundreds of thousands in business every year, and by God she better get him to Denver." His wife looked like she wanted to get swallowed up by a giant crack in the earth, but this DYKWIA was not going to be deterred and continued his ranting and demands. I left before I could see the resolution.

I felt awful for the agent and was thisclose to saying, "Sir, you're the one who showed up at the wrong airport. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer." But was reminded of the incident a colleague had recently told me about. She was checking in in the Elite lane and a similarly entitled DYKWIA showed up super-late for an international itin, yelling for everyone to get out of their way and for the agents at the check-in desk to hold the plane for them. When my little old lady colleague (truly a little old lady, about 5 ft tall and so kind and mild mannered) looked at him and said "Perhaps you should have strived to arrive to the airport on time for your flight," this DYKWIA made a fist, cocked his hand, and barely refrained from belting her.

I truly feel for UA staff who not only have to deal with entitled DYKWIAs, but those who become enraged enough to be dangerous.
I feel like I would have burst out laughing in this situation That being said, I have also mixed up DCA and IAD.
bman1002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 18, 8:15 pm
  #889  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,058
You left without watching DCA guy finish?? I would have taken a later flight for this theater!

With the roller bag mowing over an old lady thatís when my 6í2Ē long legs would have quickly got behind him and accidentally put one of my size 12.5 clodhoppers right on the middle of his bag while he was trundling down the jetway.
BlueSky72 and Cotumely like this.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:11 pm
  #890  
LIH
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ORD | LGA | 2E
Programs: UA GS 1.3MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
Posts: 598
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
LIH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:56 pm
  #891  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
Yeah, I can relate. Arrived at cold and snowy CLE airport only to be told I had booked the flight for the same date but in the next month. Wasn't going to spend the next month of Cleveland winter waiting for my flight :-). I must admit UA was great to me that time and they re-booked me home on a connecting return flight a couple hours later.
nomad420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:29 pm
  #892  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Yeah, I can relate. Arrived at cold and snowy CLE airport only to be told I had booked the flight for the same date but in the next month. Wasn't going to spend the next month of Cleveland winter waiting for my flight :-). I must admit UA was great to me that time and they re-booked me home on a connecting return flight a couple hours later.
Likewise, I did it once in STL. It's the 28-day month of February that gets you while flipping through the reservation calendar. The same date falls on the same day of the week as March.
To stay on topic, I too was anything BUT a DYKWIA, which resulted in a simple complimentary change to the correct date.
1015-1k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:32 pm
  #893  
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HKG, SFO, NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,454
A story from a blogger: https://onemileatatime.com/cops-called-on-flight/

Ben had some drama on his UA flight, got an ETC out of it, and the cops were called.
helvetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:44 pm
  #894  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Posts: 507
Red face

Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.
I have booked a number of flights over the years ...in my head but forgot to inform UA of the arrangements..........never felt they were accountable for that ,seems like a situation for grovelling not yelling at someone
Aussienarelle and benewr like this.
wanderingkev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:55 pm
  #895  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver, AA PlatPro
Posts: 1,443
Originally Posted by wanderingkev View Post
I have booked a number of flights over the years ...in my head but forgot to inform UA
Never done that for a flight, but did do that for a hotel one time. Hotels.com saved me when I realized it a day before I left.

That being said, I have also mixed up DCA and IAD
I have a fear of doing that, but havenít yet.
Artpen100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:06 pm
  #896  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,058
What about booking a round trip flights but the wrong direction?
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 9:57 pm
  #897  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,402
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I have both showed up to the wrong airport as well as on the wrong day (or conversely having booked the wrong day without noticing it) and I found that a healthy dose of self-deprecation in those moments is the only path to a positive resolution. Same goes for the handful of times in my life I have woken up in a hotel room several hours past my ETD.


This is right up there with "HUACA" on the list of best FT advice ever.

I'm thinking of the time I left my rollaboard in the overhead on HKG-SFO, didn't realize until I was already at baggage claim. Pleaded mercy, they called the gate, and one of the FAs brought it through immigration for me.
wrp96 and W126Pilot like this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 11:37 pm
  #898  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,195
At EWR Enterprise rental car booth a few weeks ago:

Enterprise agent: "Hello. Do you have a reservation?"

Me: ....pause.....eventually: "I don't know. I can't remember."
mdtakamine likes this.
narvik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 18, 2:42 am
  #899  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EAU
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,540
Originally Posted by big V View Post
This is going back several years, but I've never forgotten the incident.

Checking bag at DCA for an international itin. Guy saunters up to the premiere lane, wife and kid in stroller hanging back. The guy says, "We are checking in for the flight to Denver." The Agent looks at him, a bit puzzled, and says, "We don't have any flights to Denver, sir. Perhaps you have a connection?"

Guy immediately gets huffy, saying he knows where he's going, etc. So the agent asks for his itin, looks at it, and then says, "Sir, you're at the wrong airport. Your flight leaves from Dulles."

Guy proceeds to go ballistic, starts yelling at the agent, telling her that he's elite, their best customer, gives them hundreds of thousands in business every year, and by God she better get him to Denver." His wife looked like she wanted to get swallowed up by a giant crack in the earth, but this DYKWIA was not going to be deterred and continued his ranting and demands. I left before I could see the resolution.

I felt awful for the agent and was thisclose to saying, "Sir, you're the one who showed up at the wrong airport. Perhaps you should be a bit nicer." But was reminded of the incident a colleague had recently told me about. She was checking in in the Elite lane and a similarly entitled DYKWIA showed up super-late for an international itin, yelling for everyone to get out of their way and for the agents at the check-in desk to hold the plane for them. When my little old lady colleague (truly a little old lady, about 5 ft tall and so kind and mild mannered) looked at him and said "Perhaps you should have strived to arrive to the airport on time for your flight," this DYKWIA made a fist, cocked his hand, and barely refrained from belting her.

I truly feel for UA staff who not only have to deal with entitled DYKWIAs, but those who become enraged enough to be dangerous.
In fairness, did United tell him the right airport to be at?

United sells tickets with hidden airport transfers...
raehl311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 18, 3:01 am
  #900  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.8MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
In fairness, did United tell him the right airport to be at?

United sells tickets with hidden airport transfers...
Iím confused, you buy a ticket from a specific airport to a different specific airport. Many cities have more than one airport. Example: EWR, JFK, LGA, not sure how someone gets confused. If youíre so clueless as to not know what airport youíre departing from, itís difficult to feel too much sympathy, particularly if you then start attacking the GA. To me itís simply about personal responsibility and itís not incumbent on any airline to compensate for someone not showing up at the correct airport at the right day and time.
Cotumely likes this.
John Aldeborgh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread