Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 17, 18, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
Proper overhead rearrangement etiquette always beings with asking "do you mind if I move your... around to fit my bag" and after that I am fine. Although I have seen a few folks try to shove their stuff in with the force and might usually reserved for pile driving and well drilling...
In the interest of boarding without delay I'm okay with people moving my bag around the bin without asking first. There are often 4 or 5 people seated nearby who are possible owners of the bag. And usually they can't see which bag you're referring to up there. So it becomes a 'who has the black Tumi bag - can I move it' - which gets some confused looks. Meanwhile people behind are trying to board the plane. Flow effects make every second delay amplify when there's a bottleneck in the aisle, which risks inconveniencing 200 other people.

But then I also happen to be fortunate enough to usually travel with a soft duffel that rarely requires me to move other people's things around and test a DYWIA. I just drop and sit and watch as others have their altercations.

Originally Posted by zymm View Post
That's awful! I understand not wanting to have your bag further than a row or two behind you, but there are so many people who overcompensate and put their bags rows ahead when there is plenty of space directly above their seats. When someone is among the first to board (so the plane is basically empty) and tosses their bag above the bulkhead seats before walking several rows back....that's a special kind of inconsiderate. I love FAs who guard the bulkhead space, that's some solid understanding of their customers!
I wonder how many people who do this are just clueless - operate under the assumption that the bins fill front to back like a line.

I guess if it's happening in Group 1 they fly enough to know better.
Old Aug 17, 18, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver | Global Entry | HH Gold
I was referring to the entitled mood he carried. I guess its not exactly DYKWIA. (And I never mind to strike up a conversation with anyone really except at 0500) just after I complete a 2 hour drive to get to the airport.
Old Aug 17, 18, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by gregoryad View Post
I was referring to the entitled mood he carried. I guess its not exactly DYKWIA. (And I never mind to strike up a conversation with anyone really except at 0500) just after I complete a 2 hour drive to get to the airport.
Maybe you should have worn a sign around your neck, "leave me alone."
Old Aug 17, 18, 12:27 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
In the interest of boarding without delay I'm okay with people moving my bag around the bin without asking first. There are often 4 or 5 people seated nearby who are possible owners of the bag. And usually they can't see which bag you're referring to up there. So it becomes a 'who has the black Tumi bag - can I move it' - which gets some confused looks.
You could alway just address the two or three people directly under the bag. If they're not sitting there, then they probably don't care if you move it.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Maybe you should have worn a sign around your neck, "leave me alone."
That's what the over-the-ear noise canceling headphones are made for!
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Yup. I always think twice before boarding as GS in MFR because I get more grief there than anywhere else. For example, when I'm with my 12-yo, I get "Hey, he's a lot older than 2!" (happened more than once). People don't get GS (or any airline status) in MFR. There's a certain "egalitarian" spirit in Southern Oregon. You see that on the freeways, where a solid moiety drive really slow in the left lane, but will speed up to 85 if you try to go around them. "You can't get ahead of me. If you try, I'm going to stop you!"

To keep this on topic, one MFR guy who got a First Class upgrade insisted on boarding with me. The agent must have stopped him and explained GS to him, because he spent the entire flight trying to figure out who I was, asking me for a biz card, etc.. I pretty much said: you Don't Know Who I Am (DKWIA) and you never will.
Love the post! Fly in and out of MFR often (miss the old Red Baron) and indeed GS is as rare as hen's teeth there. Just being 1K it is one of the places I can almost guarantee myself of a CPU. Always and interesting crowd out of MFR.
Old Aug 17, 18, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver | Global Entry | HH Gold
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
You could alway just address the two or three people directly under the bag. If they're not sitting there, then they probably don't care if you move it.

That's what the over-the-ear noise canceling headphones are made for!
Nah I generally enjoy talking to people also that might be considered a bit over the top. Medford just has "unique" lets put it people.
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
If it doesn’t fit, you find an open spot elsewhere even if you have to swim upstream!
I'm going to disagree in part. I agree that it's annoying when people touch stuff without asking but a lot depends on how they handle things because taking all the time for the pleasantries keeps people backed up in the aisles and I frequently find the first ones on board just tossed their stuff in without any regard for the follow-on passengers so you see one small or medium satchel taking up space that would allow another roll-aboard if they just tried to be a little space-efficient.

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
I couldn't care less if someone wants to shift my bag around to me more efficient.
Agreed as long as it's just shifting and they're respectful. I've seen guys just squaazing and cramming my camera bag even when it was obvious what was in there. The kicker is when they look at you like you're in the wrong for pointing out they're slinging around fragile equipment like it's a log.

Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
Proper overhead rearrangement etiquette always beings with asking "do you mind if I move your... around to fit my bag" and after that I am fine. Although I have seen a few folks try to shove their stuff in with the force and might usually reserved for pile driving and well drilling...
It's generally preferable to ask first but you have to balance that against the time required to go through the pleasantries against the people backed up behind you and the time it will take to "shift" or rearrange. In most cases I've seen, it's just a matter of sliding or shifting the bag a few inches without cramming.
One point that bugs me and fits almost in the DYKWIA topic, are people who board early and have no regard for their fellow passengers on a flight that was already announced to be completely full. You know the type -- they can't be bothered with putting any of their personal gear under the seat in front even if both of them are 5'6" or shorter but they somehow manage to fill the overhead bins over 2 whole rows before anyone else can even get on. I saw a couple like that last month, just made me sad that such people were so self-possessed and yet lowly Group 2 peons like me ... ;-)
Old Aug 18, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
One point that bugs me and fits almost in the DYKWIA topic, are people who board early and have no regard for their fellow passengers on a flight that was already announced to be completely full. You know the type -- they can't be bothered with putting any of their personal gear under the seat in front even if both of them are 5'6" or shorter but they somehow manage to fill the overhead bins over 2 whole rows before anyone else can even get on. I saw a couple like that last month, just made me sad that such people were so self-possessed and yet lowly Group 2 peons like me ... ;-)
I hate when people do this. Was on a very delayed flight out of Nashville. Had to board late for F because they kept changing the time and got stuck in the bathroom when I thought I had more time. First bins were full of laptop bags and other tiny bags but no regular bags. No one had anything under their seat. I did lowly grumble looking for space and settled for 15 rows behind me.

Here is the nice part, after landing I swim upstream for my bag. The F pax were like offensive linemen blocking as hard but once I reached the first row of Y the passenger asked me which bag, and like a bucket brigade, that bag was politely passed 10 rows forward to me.
NoLaGent, mhy, BlueSky72 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 18, 1:07 pm

Not United (but I don't know if Lufthansa has a thread like that). I am on an award 1st class ticket DEL-FRA. We are standing in the middle, with an LH "personal assistant" assigned to us (2 pax), waiting to board. Not in a rush, it ain't flying without us.
There is a *very* long line of passengers with children and special needs, that is boarding first - to the left of us. To the right - line of business class passengers, also quite long (it's an A380), then what's left of Y.
A guy runs out of the middle of the priority boarding line, runs straight to our "personal assistant" and starts loudly complaining that "he paid for his business class ticket" and "he should board first", "why does he have to stand in line with these people". He called the Y pax a few choice names (some in local language I don't understand). One of his phrases that stuck in my mind was "I should not stand in line with those people, they work for me" - I guess he was implying that he's a boss of all those Y pax. Mind you, this guy is dragging a worn out extra size "American Standard" suitcase.
I have to give a lot of credit to the LH agent - she was polite and calm, and somehow succeeded to usher that guy to the business class line.

A few minutes later, priority boarding is done and we are moving up and getting boarding passes scanned. A lady runs behind us and wants to be let on board first. She's also waiving a business class ticket that "she paid for herself". Again she picks our "personal assistant" out of a half dozen of LH agents around. When it was explained to her that the long line to her right is all business class, just like her, she was very unhappy. "I paid for business, why should I stand in a long line".

Then there was more of the same on board, but that's for another time.

I don't know if this is Delhi or something in the water, but there was a lot of entitlement in the air that day. Sorry if offtopic, but have never seen quite so much of DYKWIA at one time.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Not United (but I don't know if Lufthansa has a thread like that). I am on an award 1st class ticket DEL-FRA. We are standing in the middle, with an LH "personal assistant" assigned to us (2 pax), waiting to board. Not in a rush, it ain't flying without us.
There is a *very* long line of passengers with children and special needs, that is boarding first - to the left of us. To the right - line of business class passengers, also quite long (it's an A380), then what's left of Y.
A guy runs out of the middle of the priority boarding line, runs straight to our "personal assistant" and starts loudly complaining that "he paid for his business class ticket" and "he should board first", "why does he have to stand in line with these people". He called the Y pax a few choice names (some in local language I don't understand). One of his phrases that stuck in my mind was "I should not stand in line with those people, they work for me" - I guess he was implying that he's a boss of all those Y pax. Mind you, this guy is dragging a worn out extra size "American Standard" suitcase.
I have to give a lot of credit to the LH agent - she was polite and calm, and somehow succeeded to usher that guy to the business class line.

A few minutes later, priority boarding is done and we are moving up and getting boarding passes scanned. A lady runs behind us and wants to be let on board first. She's also waiving a business class ticket that "she paid for herself". Again she picks our "personal assistant" out of a half dozen of LH agents around. When it was explained to her that the long line to her right is all business class, just like her, she was very unhappy. "I paid for business, why should I stand in a long line".

Then there was more of the same on board, but that's for another time.

I don't know if this is Delhi or something in the water, but there was a lot of entitlement in the air that day. Sorry if offtopic, but have never seen quite so much of DYKWIA at one time.
Not all that uncommon for DEL or BOM. For locals it is the "herd mentality" that if you don't get to the front of the line you do not get what is being sold/given/etc. It is more self preservation than DYKWIA.

For "westerners", it is usually one of two things, IMHO. First, just wanting to get out of country and all the people (a tough place for people that are the least bit claustrophobic). Second, is the legitimate view that the J or F cabin experience should carry with it significant perks and treatment. Normally, those are folks that may have enjoyed travel 20+ years ago and have not "enjoyed" the enhancements that have come with air travel. Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
Old Aug 19, 18, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
It's a discussion for another time because there are two perfectly reasonable sides to that POV and nobody will ever change each other's mind.

It's also OT for this thread, though, so I shall refrain from making a (pointless, unconvincing) argument for my position.
Old Aug 19, 18, 12:30 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Does LH have a GS equivalent? Would be interesting to see how they would have reacted to the GS being invited to pre-board!
Old Aug 19, 18, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does LH have a GS equivalent? Would be interesting to see how they would have reacted to the GS being invited to pre-board!
HON Circle
Old Aug 19, 18, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
Not all that uncommon for DEL or BOM. For locals it is the "herd mentality" that if you don't get to the front of the line you do not get what is being sold/given/etc. It is more self preservation than DYKWIA.

For "westerners", it is usually one of two things, IMHO. First, just wanting to get out of country and all the people (a tough place for people that are the least bit claustrophobic). Second, is the legitimate view that the J or F cabin experience should carry with it significant perks and treatment. Normally, those are folks that may have enjoyed travel 20+ years ago and have not "enjoyed" the enhancements that have come with air travel. Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
Think it's largely a DEL thing. Was just there last weekend. So much crowding for every line (immigration, security etc). Just flew out of BLR and it's amazing how much more civilized things are even though it's the same country (I know the BLR crowd is different than the DEL crowd but don't want to get into a discussion of Indian regionalisms)
Old Aug 19, 18, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by gldwebs View Post

Here is the nice part, after landing I swim upstream for my bag. The F pax were like offensive linemen blocking as hard but once I reached the first row of Y the passenger asked me which bag, and like a bucket brigade, that bag was politely passed 10 rows forward to me.
To paraphrase Raymond Chandler - In premium cabins on aircraft, they get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality.

Search this Thread