Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 16, 18, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
The first person to put their bag in a bin cannot possibly tell if it's in an efficient place or not without seeing what bags come after. A certain amount of defraging I think is acceptable, especially if it just involves sliding the bag left or right a few inches within the same bin. Personally, it's when the repeated bin slamming or repeated shoving (with danger of damage) happens that I get annoyed. Or moving my bag to a different bin where I might not find it.
Old Aug 16, 18, 3:24 pm

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
So what's the etiquette on lining up for gate checked bags in the jetway?

I just assumed it's form one line on one side, but I've seen flights where someone breaks rank and you get two lines (usually of different lengths) going. Is that a DYWIA move?

Honestly not sure what's 'right' or if they're both fine. I've always picked the longest line to be extra safe - or just sit on the plane for a while until I see the bags start coming up.

I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
IMO the DYKWIA ones are the ones who stay on the side with the bags after being told 10 times by the gate agent which side to stand on.

I think it is funny cause I wear steel toe boots and have a HEAVY bag with big wheels and I am quite sure I have rolled over or stepped on many a toe, mainly cause I can hear the cussing.
I just think to myself, if you only could have listened and maybe gotten where you were supposed to be you wouldn't be in writhing pain in your flip flops right now.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS, UA MM, SPG Plat (100)
Originally Posted by gregoryad View Post
MFR as in Medford?
Yup. I always think twice before boarding as GS in MFR because I get more grief there than anywhere else. For example, when I'm with my 12-yo, I get "Hey, he's a lot older than 2!" (happened more than once). People don't get GS (or any airline status) in MFR. There's a certain "egalitarian" spirit in Southern Oregon. You see that on the freeways, where a solid moiety drive really slow in the left lane, but will speed up to 85 if you try to go around them. "You can't get ahead of me. If you try, I'm going to stop you!"

To keep this on topic, one MFR guy who got a First Class upgrade insisted on boarding with me. The agent must have stopped him and explained GS to him, because he spent the entire flight trying to figure out who I was, asking me for a biz card, etc.. I pretty much said: you Don't Know Who I Am (DKWIA) and you never will.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 16, 18 at 5:58 pm
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
Thwn thia jerk jerk comes along.
This is my favorite sentence ever on this website solely for the double use of the word jerk. Thanks for making me laugh.
mr8 and Dpetryszyn like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I couldn't care less if someone wants to shift my bag around to me more efficient.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 18 at 8:43 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Topic Reminder

The thread's topic is DYKWIAs sightings. Discussing or so labeling other posters is OT and not allowed by the FT rules.

Let's return to poking light-hearted fun at DYKWIAs -- always a favorite topic for the forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 16, 18, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver | Global Entry | HH Gold
DYKWIA
MFR 0500 on a flight to SFO was looking at an a320 just starting up for preflight and a guy slightly older than me comes up to me and says yep thats an a320. I said wow thats pretty cool then begins to spew off facts about the plane. I am paying half attention to be polite and the other half paying attention to see if my waitlist gets cleared yep it did. He asks where I am going and I say BKK. He says nice and immediately hes quite and I don't see him again once we board I believe I recall him passing into coach but he didn't look at me.

He looked like the type that tries really hard to impress people but fails (pretend bigshot). The kind that waits in BG3 for 20 minutes to board "first."
Old Aug 17, 18, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gregoryad View Post
DYKWIA
MFR 0500 on a flight to SFO was looking at an a320 just starting up for preflight and a guy slightly older than me comes up to me and says yep thats an a320. I said wow thats pretty cool then begins to spew off facts about the plane. I am paying half attention to be polite and the other half paying attention to see if my waitlist gets cleared yep it did. He asks where I am going and I say BKK. He says nice and immediately hes quite and I don't see him again once we board I believe I recall him passing into coach but he didn't look at me.

He looked like the type that tries really hard to impress people but fails (pretend bigshot). The kind that waits in BG3 for 20 minutes to board "first."
Not exactly sure that fits the DYKWIA description; seems like he was just trying to be friendly.
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Meola10 View Post

This is my favorite sentence ever on this website solely for the double use of the word jerk. Thanks for making me laugh.

dangers of posting on an iPhone with auto correct.

I accept my shame.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Proper overhead rearrangement etiquette always beings with asking "do you mind if I move your... around to fit my bag" and after that I am fine. Although I have seen a few folks try to shove their stuff in with the force and might usually reserved for pile driving and well drilling...
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL GS; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by Imstevek View Post
Proper overhead rearrangement etiquette always beings with asking "do you mind if I move your... around to fit my bag" and after that I am fine. Although I have seen a few folks try to shove their stuff in with the force and might usually reserved for pile driving and well drilling...
Exactly so. This is all that courtesy requires and should always do the trick. Someone shifting my gear in the bin is fine; I do not like it one bit when it is moved to another bin (unless the FA asks and the response always is "Of course")
mr8 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Plat
+1 on asking first.

As an example of exactly what not to do: On a long-haul last December in E+, having placed my modest, soft-sided bag placed above my bulkhead aisle seat, I returned from a short washroom break during Group 2 boarding to find one passenger of a couple with my bag in her hands, about to set it on the floor. I asked evenly, "What are you doing with my bag?" The passenger replied, "You weren't here, I need this space." I silently gave her an eye-brows raised, wide-eyed stare of "you've got to be kidding", and without a word, she put my bag back, rearranged the bags of other pax (also without asking), put her luggage up, and took her window seat several rows back. And there was actually plenty of room. Actually more a case of IDCAABM (I don't care about anyone but myself).
manstein58 and mr8 like this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:17 am

That reminds me of a recent flight with a woman getting on with a rollaboard. Her seat was in the first row of E+. There was a spot in the bin across from her. It looked like she had some trouble lifting the rollaboard and, in that like five seconds while she got a better hold on it, someone came up from 5 rows back and sniped her spot with their bag. Instead of saying anything, she just sighed. She had to go at least 5 rows back to find a spot for her carryon. I felt bad for her.
Old Aug 17, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS 75k, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz somthingorother
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy View Post
That reminds me of a recent flight with a woman getting on with a rollaboard. Her seat was in the first row of E+. There was a spot in the bin across from her. It looked like she had some trouble lifting the rollaboard and, in that like five seconds while she got a better hold on it, someone came up from 5 rows back and sniped her spot with their bag. Instead of saying anything, she just sighed. She had to go at least 5 rows back to find a spot for her carryon. I felt bad for her.
That's awful! I understand not wanting to have your bag further than a row or two behind you, but there are so many people who overcompensate and put their bags rows ahead when there is plenty of space directly above their seats. When someone is among the first to board (so the plane is basically empty) and tosses their bag above the bulkhead seats before walking several rows back....that's a special kind of inconsiderate. I love FAs who guard the bulkhead space, that's some solid understanding of their customers!
jsloan, wanderingkev and dchambric like this.
Old Aug 17, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Yup. I always think twice before boarding as GS in MFR because I get more grief there than anywhere else. For example, when I'm with my 12-yo, I get "Hey, he's a lot older than 2!"
The only time I have ever had a snarky comment similar to yours is when I'm am with my 15 year old , he is 6" 4" , at 6' 1 " I am at the point where I let him deal with it.
dchambric likes this.

Search this Thread