Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Flew BKK-HKG on HX, the dreaded 0415 departure to connect to UA at HKG. We had a nice A330 with just two of us in J, the other pax being Mr. DYK. Arriving at HKG I queued up at the W1 transfer desk in the Premier Access lane to get my BP for F on the 3-class 772 to ORD, and Mr. DYK was behind me. I could hear him complain to the contract security agent asking the questions to get the passport sticker-of-the-day. "Do you know I'm United's number one customer? Why should I have to stand in this line?" Oy, I know Tom Stucker ua1flyer and Mr. DYK certainly wasn't our friend Tom!

Later we cleared security, took the train to the main terminal, and headed up to the lounges. I turned right in to the FCL, he went into the UC. Now IKWY Aren't!
jsloan, enviroian, n198ua and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:15 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Flew BKK-HKG on HX, the dreaded 0415 departure to connect to UA at HKG. We had a nice A330 with just two of us in J, the other pax being Mr. DYK. Arriving at HKG I queued up at the W1 transfer desk in the Premier Access lane to get my BP for F on the 3-class 772 to ORD, and Mr. DYK was behind me. I could hear him complain to the contract security agent asking the questions to get the passport sticker-of-the-day. "Do you know I'm United's number one customer? Why should I have to stand in this line?" Oy, I know Tom Stucker ua1flyer and Mr. DYK certainly wasn't our friend Tom!

Later we cleared security, took the train to the main terminal, and headed up to the lounges. I turned right in to the FCL, he went into the UC. Now IKWY Aren't!
When I read stories like these I so want to ask Mr DYKWIA if they remember "slumming" it in Y before they had status. Each of us is just trying to make it through each day and hopefully spread some joy in the process. The joy in this tale is presumably each person who had to deal with this person was glad to see the back of them. Mr DYW not wxguy.
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
When I read stories like these I so want to ask Mr DYKWIA if they remember "slumming" it in Y before they had status. Each of us is just trying to make it through each day and hopefully spread some joy in the process. The joy in this tale is presumably each person who had to deal with this person was glad to see the back of them. Mr DYW not wxguy.

I think too to a large extent the status is inversely proportional to the perceived status/privileges.

I remember when I was a (sCO) Silver traveling on Y/B (or whatever the predecessor to B was) fares and thinking I was hot stuff. Now that I have a few years in as a 1K (still on full fares...now spending more on airfare than my wife earns annually, but still not enough to earn GS) I realize that I am at best a small cog in a very large machine. This isn't just an airline thing -- I've seen people at Hilton whining "I'm a silver [bow down before me]" at the front desk (a few of whom a grumpy me has interrupted with "that's nice. I'm a diamond. Can I just check in please?"
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Each of us is just trying to make it through each day and hopefully spread some joy in the process.

I came through HKG on Monday, and the lady checking BPs at security was just so genuinely pleasant and nice. And since HKIA doesn't have any kind of fast track security, it had nothing to do with anything that was printed on my BP. She was just doing her part to spread some joy, one passenger at a time.
wxguy, n198ua, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post

I think too to a large extent the status is inversely proportional to the perceived status/privileges.

I remember when I was a (sCO) Silver traveling on Y/B (or whatever the predecessor to B was) fares and thinking I was hot stuff. Now that I have a few years in as a 1K (still on full fares...now spending more on airfare than my wife earns annually, but still not enough to earn GS) I realize that I am at best a small cog in a very large machine. This isn't just an airline thing -- I've seen people at Hilton whining "I'm a silver [bow down before me]" at the front desk (a few of whom a grumpy me has interrupted with "that's nice. I'm a diamond. Can I just check in please?"
This is interesting. You're probably right in general but I find myself saying "I'm only a Gold" to most people around me. It's more often flight attendants that I'm friendly to who seem to be more respectful than I expect or family that is amazed by the few perks we get as Gold. I figure the flight attendants are that way because I stop and treat them like humans and with respect for their time/schedule/space. Especially on the LHR-DEN daytime route when I come back to the galley asking for a drink or snack or whatever.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 12:48 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post

We've all been there! I remember unexpectedly qualifying for silver the first time and having no idea what it meant or what the different tiers meant. I would guess 99% of the Silver DYKWIA are due to a lack of awareness and how things work or what perks they get.
Originally Posted by Coskigirl View Post
This is interesting. You're probably right in general but I find myself saying "I'm only a Gold" to most people around me. It's more often flight attendants that I'm friendly to who seem to be more respectful than I expect or family that is amazed by the few perks we get as Gold. I figure the flight attendants are that way because I stop and treat them like humans and with respect for their time/schedule/space. Especially on the LHR-DEN daytime route when I come back to the galley asking for a drink or snack or whatever.
Gold requires a bit more effort, and is where I think you become more self aware of the whole system and can more fully appreciate all the perks that come from frequent flyer programs. Probably the least number of DYKWIA in this group.

Once you get to Platinum and 1k, I think you start seeing more entitled DYKWIA people again because of the extra miles that they're flying, but at the same time they haven't yet realized there are also many other people that fly a lot more. e.g. the people that cut to the front of group 1. Yes, there are many people in group 1, and they're not just standing around the sign that says group 1 - they're actually lining up to board with group 1.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Aug 9, 18, 2:06 pm

This person may have only discovered their anxiety later in life when a career change was too hard?
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Coskigirl View Post
This is such a fantastic thing to do — it makes your day better, it lightens up their day, and in doing so they'll likely spread that to others in small interactions. It's kind of a force multiplier of your own good intentions. I try to be police and nice with people in every service; from the hotel or car rental desk to flight attendants, they're all often treated like total garbage and a nice, human interaction is always well-received.
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
I try to be police...
Do you flash a badge?
laxmillenial and Cotumely like this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
The threat of arrest really tends to get me the best treatment
BeanTownBoy, wrp96, Howste and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:12 pm

Luggage ettiquette

So I had my first dykwia indicent on United.

I boarded a flight in geoup one like i like I always do. We were on an embraer 175. I shove my bag overhead and my backpack under the seat I. Front of me. all good so far.

Thwn thia jerk jerk comes along. He sitting in the row behind me. He starts trying to fit his back in the overhead. No dice, it’s full.

So he pulls my bag bag out and turns it sideways. I look up, tel him that’s my bag and it won’t fit that way. “Don’t worry, I got it” he says. Then he messes around a bit more.

Finally he looks at me and aays “do you mind if I move this?”

I told him flat flat out that I did and I was far more comfortable with the bag where it was. His comment?

”thanks for the help and understanding buddy”.

Now I finally did relent and move my bag for this guy. But I thought behavior was beyond entitled. I suppose there are lots of self absorbed people out there, but the brashness of this took me by surprise. Usually people ask before even messing with things.
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:33 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I feel your pain! There’s nothing more annoying than people touching my stuff without asking!

If it doesn’t fit, you find an open spot elsewhere even if you have to swim upstream!
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver | Global Entry | HH Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Unfortunately, there are a whole bunch of people who think they should board with (or before) GS. I've had the following push past me on a regular basis:

1) First Class with sub-1K status
2) No-status passengers with intl coach tickets ("We're Global!")
3) Credit card holders *("We get Premier access")
4) Global Entry card holders
5) Random Zone 3-5 who think you just crowd on whenever you can

Out of the airports I travel it happens most in MFR, FLL, and MCO.
MFR as in Medford?

Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
We've all been there! I remember unexpectedly qualifying for silver the first time and having no idea what it meant or what the different tiers meant. I would guess 99% of the Silver DYKWIA are due to a lack of awareness and how things work or what perks they get.

Gold requires a bit more effort, and is where I think you become more self aware of the whole system and can more fully appreciate all the perks that come from frequent flyer programs. Probably the least number of DYKWIA in this group.

Once you get to Platinum and 1k, I think you start seeing more entitled DYKWIA people again because of the extra miles that they're flying, but at the same time they haven't yet realized there are also many other people that fly a lot more. e.g. the people that cut to the front of group 1. Yes, there are many people in group 1, and they're not just standing around the sign that says group 1 - they're actually lining up to board with group 1.
I have been Silver for 2 years now (will be Gold next Wednesday on my way back from NYC). Does that mean I will be pretty average?
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:53 pm

So what's the etiquette on lining up for gate checked bags in the jetway?

I just assumed it's form one line on one side, but I've seen flights where someone breaks rank and you get two lines (usually of different lengths) going. Is that a DYWIA move?

Honestly not sure what's 'right' or if they're both fine. I've always picked the longest line to be extra safe - or just sit on the plane for a while until I see the bags start coming up.

I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
Old Aug 16, 18, 3:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
So what's the etiquette on lining up for gate checked bags in the jetway?

I just assumed it's form one line on one side, but I've seen flights where someone breaks rank and you get two lines (usually of different lengths) going. Is that a DYWIA move?

Honestly not sure what's 'right' or if they're both fine. I've always picked the longest line to be extra safe - or just sit on the plane for a while until I see the bags start coming up.

I'm also someone who could care less if someone moves around my stuff in the overhead to make things fit as long as it doesn't end up more than a row back. It's carryon luggage not my body up there.
Since generally people come out of line to get their bags when they appear, I don't think it really matters how they're lined up, as long as they leave space for others to get through.
jsloan and DJ_Iceman like this.

Search this Thread