Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 14, 18, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
I finally have one I can share...

I'm at the grocery store at home this morning after coming in from a redeye. I needed a few things so I went straight there from the airport, in uniform. At the express checkout lines, a guy cuts in front of me, flashes a MP card and says "I'm a United 1K, surely you don't mind if I go in front of you, right?"

Yes. Yes I do mind.
UN-believable.
benewr likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 18 at 4:46 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 14, 18, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM

I'm at the grocery store at home this morning after coming in from a redeye. I needed a few things so I went straight there from the airport, in uniform. At the express checkout lines, a guy cuts in front of me, flashes a MP card and says "I'm a United 1K, surely you don't mind if I go in front of you, right?"

Yes. Yes I do mind.
Wait, he wasn't kidding?? Tell me he ended up saying, "Just kidding, I was pulling a DYKWIA" and laughed. For someone to think that that whole elite thing appliesa in a grocery store is beyond the pale.
Old Jul 14, 18, 2:17 pm

Yes. Yes I do mind.
As a 1K with surely plenty of experience at TSA, he should know that crew goes first.

(Seriously, that is unbelievable conduct.)
Old Jul 14, 18, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Please allow me to apologize on behalf of 1Ks everywhere
Old Jul 14, 18, 4:35 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
This has got to be a joke… right? Riiiiiight?
heikki likes this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I wish it had been a joke...

And no, he did not get to cut in front of me

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
As a 1K with surely plenty of experience at TSA, he should know that crew goes first.
Except at like three airports domestically, much to the chagrin of some of my coworkers
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K
My seatmate:
I prefer to travel in business class since the people there are more in need of my ministry.

My headphones went on immediately, but I later learned that he was a prominent televangelist.
Old Jul 30, 18, 1:44 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.3MM UC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz 5*PC
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer View Post
My seatmate:
I prefer to travel in business class since the people there are more in need of my ministry.

My headphones went on immediately, but I later learned that he was a prominent televangelist.
I think I saw this same guy in action on my way ORD > DFW a few weeks ago. I was in 2E and he was in 1F but the poor guy in 1E had to endure the wheels-up-to-wheels-down hard sell. 1E ordered 3 vodka sodas on the relatively short flight to cope.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 2:08 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Useless Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by LIH View Post
I think I saw this same guy in action on my way ORD > DFW a few weeks ago. I was in 2E and he was in 1F but the poor guy in 1E had to endure the wheels-up-to-wheels-down hard sell. 1E ordered 3 vodka sodas on the relatively short flight to cope.

And it's stories like this why I board with my headphones on, and don't take them out until landing. (Sometimes I just have them in my ear, with no sound/music coming in).
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Got a bit off topic for a while, have clean out those OT items. Let's return to our regularly scheduled DYKWIA encounters during our UA travels

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS, UA MM, SPG Plat (100)
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer View Post
My seatmate:
I prefer to travel in business class since the people there are more in need of my ministry......
Hmm. Was he GS? A couple of years ago, while travelling in Greece, I encountered a prominent minister who was GS. Interesting to contemplate that you could get GS status while travelling around on tax-deductible donations. To be fair, this guy was personable and gracious -- not DYKWIA.
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver, AA PlatPro
Iíve known some 1Ks who work for international ministries, though not by flying business class.
Old Aug 3, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not sure if this is best thread for this, but here goes...

Sitting in 1F yesterday LAS-DEN, flight is delayed due to late inbound. No big deal as a few flights LAS-DEN had the same issue yesterday. Passenger in 2E waits until we are within minutes of taking off to alert the FA that while he travels often, he has severe anxiety issues (including claustrophobia) and asked for cooler temps and better communication from the pilot. She makes an effort from what I can see, but within a minute he rings her again and says he needs the air much cooler asap and better communication. It's Vegas in summer, kind of a given the airplane will be hot until airborne. End result is that we return to the gate, passenger is very cordial for his cause of our now second delay, is allowed off the airplane, and we finally leave again.

Given what I listened to, he sells IFE to the airlines, travels a lot, but has severe anxiety due to a few issues. None of those bother me as my MIL has the same, but I would suggest that he thinks about a different career that doesn't include flying. It didn't sound like this was the first time he has had the airplane return to the gate to help deal with his issues. He was very cordial, apologetic, didn't sound drunk, actually seemed like a very nice guy. Nevertheless, he needs to find a career that doesn't impact the entire airplane on the few occasions this happens to him.
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Not sure if this is best thread for this, but here goes...

Sitting in 1F yesterday LAS-DEN, flight is delayed due to late inbound. No big deal as a few flights LAS-DEN had the same issue yesterday. Passenger in 2E waits until we are within minutes of taking off to alert the FA that while he travels often, he has severe anxiety issues (including claustrophobia) and asked for cooler temps and better communication from the pilot.
This is a tough call, because I can really sympathize with the pax -- I truly love flying (and in fact the amount of travel I'm allowed to do for work is a significant factor in my employment satisfaction) -- but have an above average level of generalized anxiety and if you put me in an aisle seat/somewhere where I cant easily see out of the aircraft my onboard-anxiety level goes way up -- I use "slightly claustrophobic" as shorthand. I have a number of coping mechanisms when I can't get a window for whatever reason (my most successful is asking the window pax "Would you prefer the aisle?" and 80% of the time the answer is "absolutely"), and I can make it through a mid-con in the aisle if I have to. [But according to Flight Memory I've had 752 windows against 17 aisles since 2004 so...]

But: When I'm in a aisle and have things like rolling delays, can't see out, my anxiety level skyrockets -- I've always told myself its my problem so "deal with it" and internalize it without inconveniencing the pax around me, but I can totally get someone with more severe symptoms where you feel like the walls are closing in on you, sweating, poor air circulation, etc., just needs to get out to avoid freaking out. Now, of course, it would have been great had this happened earlier in the delay.
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
This is a tough call, because I can really sympathize with the pax -- I truly love flying (and in fact the amount of travel I'm allowed to do for work is a significant factor in my employment satisfaction) -- but have an above average level of generalized anxiety and if you put me in an aisle seat/somewhere where I cant easily see out of the aircraft my onboard-anxiety level goes way up -- I use "slightly claustrophobic" as shorthand. I have a number of coping mechanisms when I can't get a window for whatever reason (my most successful is asking the window pax "Would you prefer the aisle?" and 80% of the time the answer is "absolutely"), and I can make it through a mid-con in the aisle if I have to. [But according to Flight Memory I've had 752 windows against 17 aisles since 2004 so...]

But: When I'm in a aisle and have things like rolling delays, can't see out, my anxiety level skyrockets -- I've always told myself its my problem so "deal with it" and internalize it without inconveniencing the pax around me, but I can totally get someone with more severe symptoms where you feel like the walls are closing in on you, sweating, poor air circulation, etc., just needs to get out to avoid freaking out. Now, of course, it would have been great had this happened earlier in the delay.
Your thoughts sound like my MIL. She has no desire to impact others, although she only travels 1 or 2 times per year.

Again, I'm not upset with the passenger in question, I just wonder why someone would pick a career that puts them in a position of experiencing such conditions. My MIL will not step foot on an elevator, as such it would be foolish for her to sell and/or service them. Just sayin.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Search this Thread