Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 26, 17, 12:07 pm
  #706  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 2,929
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
LordHamster and getagb like this.
physioprof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 17, 12:17 pm
  #707  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
LOL you would a think a 1K would have been properly conditioned already to know we are below GS and preboarding
lincolnjkc and Aussienarelle like this.
drew in the air is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:16 pm
  #708  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,576
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
I would have jus started laughing loudly so the DYKWIA could hear and be looking at them. Then say loud enough, "don't you know 1K doesn't mean much anymore? You need to be Global Services."
Baze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:43 pm
  #709  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Posts: 1,773
PBI, like FLL, rarely disappoint when it comes to these types of encounters.
CHOPCHOP767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:50 pm
  #710  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YEG
Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, Alaska Gold, AA EXP, DL Silver
Posts: 324
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."

Upgrade list shows 1 passenger in 1D upgraded ... captain is in 2D.

Passenger huffs back to Y.

Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
ContinentalFan and Dublin_rfk like this.
jmcintosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:48 pm
  #711  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,766
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."
To be fair, and not that the other passenger's behavior was appropriate in any case... the typical assumption for someone flying in uniform is that they're either nonrev commuting or deadheading; the crewmembers I know will go out of their way to avoid being in uniform [including changing in a crew lounge or restroom] when flying on their own revenue ticket to avoid that possible confrontation.

Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]

Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
lincolnjkc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:56 pm
  #712  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,670
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post


Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:03 pm
  #713  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,766
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
Oh yeah... The FA and captain were baffled, especially since they were onboard waiting for us to board for about 45 minutes before we actually boarded -- they kept coming up the jetway to see what the holdup was. Quote from exasperated FA "What the hell was she doing all this time if she wasn't fixing seat assignments? We could have been [to our destination] by now if this is how we're going to handle seating."
lincolnjkc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:13 pm
  #714  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: YEG
Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, Alaska Gold, AA EXP, DL Silver
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]
I didnít see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.

Fair on the downgauge clarification ... but a pax can demand to still fly up front on next availability. So if you take the downgrade you are entitled to difference in fare compensation at least.
jmcintosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 18, 10:04 pm
  #715  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,145
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
I didnít see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.
On AC, a downguage can cause lost seat assignments, resulting in paid J appearing on the onload list (which populates the public upgrade list).

The result, when my flight was downgauged from a 767 to a 321, was that I appeared with a checkmark beside my name, even though I was paid J.

I don't know how UA's system works, but there are plenty of reasons someone can appear on a list, and they're not always obvious.
canadiancow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:53 pm
  #716  
GDL
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Guadalajara MX,
Programs: AM, UA, 4O
Posts: 137
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
elitefreak and wrp96 like this.
GDL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 18, 9:20 pm
  #717  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Posts: 24,702
That's truly pathetic.
Silver Fox likes this.
MatthewLAX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 18, 1:17 am
  #718  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 747
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
my repainse would have been ďoh thatís cute. You just made platinum? Iíve already requalified for 1k this year. Now sit your ... in your assigned seatĒ
jp12687 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:06 am
  #719  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,725
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 18, 6:42 am
  #720  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: UA Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
In particular, how did he reach Platinum with this idea in his head? It's like he somehow flew the 75k miles without ever stepping foot on an airplane.
TexasAggie02 likes this.
jm0933 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread