Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 26, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
LordHamster and getagb like this.
Old Nov 26, 17, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
LOL you would a think a 1K would have been properly conditioned already to know we are below GS and preboarding
lincolnjkc and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I would have jus started laughing loudly so the DYKWIA could hear and be looking at them. Then say loud enough, "don't you know 1K doesn't mean much anymore? You need to be Global Services."
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
PBI, like FLL, rarely disappoint when it comes to these types of encounters.
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, Alaska Gold, AA EXP, DL Silver
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."

Upgrade list shows 1 passenger in 1D upgraded ... captain is in 2D.

Passenger huffs back to Y.

Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
ContinentalFan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."
To be fair, and not that the other passenger's behavior was appropriate in any case... the typical assumption for someone flying in uniform is that they're either nonrev commuting or deadheading; the crewmembers I know will go out of their way to avoid being in uniform [including changing in a crew lounge or restroom] when flying on their own revenue ticket to avoid that possible confrontation.

Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]

Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post

Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
Oh yeah... The FA and captain were baffled, especially since they were onboard waiting for us to board for about 45 minutes before we actually boarded -- they kept coming up the jetway to see what the holdup was. Quote from exasperated FA "What the hell was she doing all this time if she wasn't fixing seat assignments? We could have been [to our destination] by now if this is how we're going to handle seating."
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, Alaska Gold, AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]
I didnít see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.

Fair on the downgauge clarification ... but a pax can demand to still fly up front on next availability. So if you take the downgrade you are entitled to difference in fare compensation at least.
Old Feb 8, 18, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I didnít see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.
On AC, a downguage can cause lost seat assignments, resulting in paid J appearing on the onload list (which populates the public upgrade list).

The result, when my flight was downgauged from a 767 to a 321, was that I appeared with a checkmark beside my name, even though I was paid J.

I don't know how UA's system works, but there are plenty of reasons someone can appear on a list, and they're not always obvious.
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:53 pm
GDL

Programs: AM, UA, 4O
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
elitefreak and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 17, 18, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's truly pathetic.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 18, 18, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by GDL View Post
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
my repainse would have been ďoh thatís cute. You just made platinum? Iíve already requalified for 1k this year. Now sit your ... in your assigned seatĒ
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:06 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
Old Feb 18, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
In particular, how did he reach Platinum with this idea in his head? It's like he somehow flew the 75k miles without ever stepping foot on an airplane.
TexasAggie02 likes this.

Search this Thread