Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Once again -- this isn't on the FA -- this is the GA -- why we blame the FA is beyond me?
I disagree.

Originally Posted by Gberg
Meanwhile I was standing in galley for 30 min during boarding and had a seat change as well albeit to another aisle and got nothing. Pilots were nice and thanked me (got seated next to crew rest) but crew looked at me like I was the inconvenience.
If crew treated OP like this was his fault, I blame the FAs.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I disagree.

If crew treated OP like this was his fault, I blame the FAs.
You are a very experienced traveler -- more than 99.9% of all travelers -- and you know that FA's have ZERO say of seating assignments -- they are often thrown into it to resolve issues - but we all know that the GA makes the seat assignments -- and they often throw the FA under the bus -- to suggest that the FA's are responsible for this -- as an experienced world traveler -- well, I don't get it...

And once again we only know one side of the story... As everyone here knows I am no UA apologist and as one of their best travelers for over a decade I can be - and often are - their worst critic -- but I don't agree with this assessment - but just MHO...
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Still on flight (next to pilot who dealt with situation) as seated next to crew rest (757 it’s a blocked seat) so asked. He said it’s the GA who had control and should have made the decision - not his ship until the door closes.

The compensation, though, to other passenger who voluntarily moved was done by FA inflight.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gberg
Still on flight (next to pilot who dealt with situation) as seated next to crew rest (757 it’s a blocked seat) so asked. He said it’s the GA who had control and should have made the decision - not his ship until the door closes.

The compensation, though, to other passenger who voluntarily moved was done by FA inflight.
GA messes up -- FA's clean up...
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Having read this, I don't necessarily blame the GA. Pax asked to be moved to aisle. GA says no can do. Pax boards with his window BP. Pax finds an open aisle seat and poaches it. How is GA to be blamed (if this is what indeed happened). Seems a likely possibly.

I agree you should receive a voucher at least equal to the other pax. The fact that you weren't offered one sucks big time.
Rare, EmailKid, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Having read this, I don't necessarily blame the GA. Pax asked to be moved to aisle. GA says no can do. Pax boards with his window BP. Pax finds an open aisle seat and poaches it. How is GA to be blamed (if this is what indeed happened). Seems a likely possibly.

I agree you should receive a voucher at least equal to the other pax. The fact that you weren't offered one sucks big time.
it’s a simple fact - until the door closes GA owns that flight and FA can do nothing - one passenger stole another’s seat and did nothing about it and left FA to clean up - thus making them the bad guy….
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
it’s a simple fact - until the door closes GA owns that flight and FA can do nothing - one passenger stole another’s seat and did nothing about it and left FA to clean up - thus making them the bad guy….
So what was the GA to do? It's obvious that even the Captain couldn't make the pax move. Does the GA have some magical power to make him move?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by limey1K
MEL-LAX 3/18/23
One GS and three 1K get placed in the pre-board pen at MEL and sit quietly waiting. People line up in the BG 1, 2 etc lanes and Mr. DYKWIA rolls up with wife in tow and loudly proclaims to the checker "I'm a 1K so I need to be let through to where they are" and points at the rest of us. Gets let through and sits down, huffing and puffing about security, the line to check-in, blah blah. General blowhard type DYKWIA that I try and stay away from.

The GA announces that she's about to start pre-boarding and he leaps up, chastises his wife for not being Usain Bolt and walks to within three feet of the podium. GA gives him that "oh, you're one of them looks" and calls for Disabled and Needing extra time. He is asked to move aside for the three wheel chairs, which he barely does, and then a goup of about 25 people approach the other boarding lane. They all have the same lanyards on with ID and identical backpacks. GA scans the first person and Mr. DYKWIA flaps his arms about and says "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? You're going to pre-board a tour group before ME?, This is ludicrous!!". The GA stepped away from the podium and walked over to him and said in a quiet voice "Sir, this is a handicapped group and they need extra time" to which he responded in a very loud voice "Handicapped, handicapped, there's nothing wrong with them! They're all quiet capable of walking on their own. How are they handicapped'?. One of the chaperones of the group turned to him and said "This is a group of autistic and Down Syndrome athletes going to compete in your country, sir'. At this point Mrs. DYKWIA is doing her best to not look like she's with him and, when all of us wish he'd shut up, he blurts out "Well you can't tell that so its confusing".

GA pre-boards the group and Mr. DYKWIA shuffles back in front of the podium and she calls for military, then GS. I say excuse me to him and he moves a bit over and she says in a nice loud voice 'Thank you for being so patient Mr. L1K", shoots daggers at him and calls for Families with kids and there must have been about a dozen or so . I was on-board, in my seat, having a PDB before I heard him getting on-board complaining out-loud for anyone close enough to hear so I am guessing the GA took her sweet time to get to the 1K's. They have him to thank for that.
"chastises his wife for not being Usain Bolt" is the best line I've ever read on FlyerTalk. Thank you for the laughs after a long work day.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So what was the GA to do? It's obvious that even the Captain couldn't make the pax move. Does the GA have some magical power to make him move?
yes. Deplane the aircraft. It’s very clear.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:59 pm

i
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
yes. Deplane the aircraft. It’s very clear.
I question her unilateral power to do so. Pick your battles. Would you have wanted an hour-ish delay for that? I agree that this douche should be taught a lesson, but not to the detriment of the other 200 or so pax who could be effected.
wrp96 and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
i

I question her unilateral power to do so. Pick your battles. Would you have wanted an hour-ish delay for that? I agree that this douche should be taught a lesson, but not to the detriment of the other 200 or so pax who could be effected.
certainly very inconvenient for all involved, and possibly cause a chain reaction of a much MUCH larger delay. But that is very explicitly the remedy here
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
certainly very inconvenient for all involved, and possibly cause a chain reaction of a much MUCH larger delay. But that is very explicitly the remedy here
No argument. Totally agree.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The captain could have had the miscreant taken ff the flight. But I agree -- pick your battles.
iluv2fly and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Crew member: “Sir, please take your assigned seat.”
Poacher: “No, thanks. I’m good.”
Crew member (on the intercom): “Folks, we’re ready to close the doors. But, we have one passenger who refuses to take his assigned seat. I’m afraid we can’t leave until everyone is seated in their assigned seat. We’re going to have to sit here until the passenger complies with crew instructions, or exits the aircraft. I realize that many of you have tight connections. I’m truly sorry for the inconvenience. We’ll provide another update once we’re airborne.”
Passengers: “Come on, man!” Groans. And, four-letter words that are against Flyertalk’s T&C’s.

Public shaming 101.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
Crew member: “Sir, please take your assigned seat.”
Poacher: “No, thanks. I’m good.”
Public shaming 101.
Never forget that FAs are also in charge of plating and serving your food in business. Just like you should be careful to not tick off the kitchen or your server at a restaurant... :-)
SS255, ZenFlyer, augs and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.