Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yeah the problem wasn’t the drinking but the attitude.
SPN Lifer, enviroian and abaheti like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wrp96
but the attitude.
This is what prompted my comment, not the drink itself.
wrp96 and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I had no issue with 1C ordering the drinks. I also had a bourbon at noon on a Sunday. But the whole interaction was so uncomfortable and wrong.

my biggest fear is these types ruining it for the rest of us
My concern is also for his reference to having access to FA's manuals since IIRC those are considered security sensitive information and most if not all of those with legitimate access are in a safety sensitive role (e.g. actually a FA, management, etc.) & the demeanor/possible alcohol dependency make one's suitability for those roles questionable.

Or if they aren't in a SSP the implications of their access to and use of that information.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
This is what prompted my comment, not the drink itself.
Didn't take offense to your comments. I just want to be a quiet little degenerate enjoying my Sunday without actual a-holes making it difficult for me.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yeah the problem wasn’t the drinking but the attitude.
Yep. Nbd ordering a double on a short flight. Picking a fight with the FA over whatever it is you want — a drink, where your bag is stored, hanging a coat — that's the problem.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and physioprof like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I had no issue with 1C ordering the drinks. I also had a bourbon at noon on a Sunday. But the whole interaction was so uncomfortable and wrong.

my biggest fear is these types ruining it for the rest of us
Sorry - didn't mean it that way -- the FA wouldn't serve a double, Dao hadn't been dragged off a plane, social media hadn't been invented....
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Sorry - didn't mean it that way -- the FA wouldn't serve a double, Dao hadn't been dragged off a plane, social media hadn't been invented....
Still not clear what you mean but I think we are in agreement.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Still not clear what you mean but I think we are in agreement.
I just meant I wasn't referring to you -- just that in general in society everything escalates so fast these days... Both the behavior and the responses... 15 years ago when I ordered a double I would get "I like your style" -- today it is battle royale....
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:53 pm

I just meant I wasn't referring to you -- just that in general in society everything escalates so fast these days... Both the behavior and the responses... 15 years ago when I ordered a double I would get "I like your style" -- today it is battle royale....
100% I like your style guy here but I could tell that 1C was an odd one from the moment I boarded.

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Mar 24, 2024 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Had a wackadoodle experience on a short hop intra-Texas today.
Pretty good FA (despite the argument at the end).
Who was the operator; this was UX, yes?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Pretty good FA (despite the argument at the end).
Who was the operator; this was UX, yes?
100% agree the FA was awesome. She came through in all the areas I want. Sucky for her how it ended.

Mesa but a UA tail branded plane. Not the Mesa tails.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:30 pm

100% I like your style guy here but I could tell that 1C was an odd one from the moment I boarded.
Yes I'm sure -- and the FA seems to have handled it well... Today it's like people are walking around ready to blow at 99% threshold -- I may be old but I feel like people were much more around 35% years ago.... Everything is so ready to blow -- especially with DYKWIA!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
There was a time when it was customary in F to be served two drinks, and two more if requested.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
…and now we know better…

my worst DKWIA ended badly for my 1A seat mate. Delayed flight to MSP from somewhere, gets up on taxiway to stow his coat. FA firmly tells him to be seated, he fights back, then says those magic words “ I don’t want any trouble from you the rest of this flight”

FA pulls the intercom, pilot announces 30 seconds later we need to return to the gate for some “ paperwork”

…and local police pull him off at the gate

i write up a piece on the incident and give it pilot on exit , and he pulls me aside and turns out she is on new hire probation, and my letter just saved her a lot of hassle.

The Creator rewarded me by making her my FA on that money route for me for the next 3-4 years, and my service and perks were…..extraordinary.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Lori_Q and 8 others like this.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Mar 25, 2024 at 4:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.