Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by teddybear99 (Post # 853) (Jetway Etiquette, Post # 26)
In terms of luggage put up by coach passengers in the first/business class bins: The FA's don't worry about it because it is not their baggage, but if an airline wanted to really take care of their First/Business Class passengers, they would have a policy that any baggage in the overhead bins in First/Business not matching a passenger seated there, will be removed and be sent down to the regular baggage hold w/o any announcement. . . .
Some passengers engage in self-help.

Upon seeing a bag above their seats, they ask their neighbors in a loud voice, "Does this bag belong to anyone here?" Hearing no response, because the owner is back in coach, they remove it.

If left in the aisle, a flight attendant will take it away.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 7, 2023 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyingM
not to mention their attire on planes.
Not sure what this means regarding being a passenger on an airplane.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I'm feeling seen.
THIS! My wife has never had wording for this, I wonder if I should share that my condition is perhaps a FF associated thing :-)
IMissThe747 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
As the door closed on SEA-DEN today, 1E loudly claimed that her large handbag would not be going in the overhead since “it’s a $400 bag.” The FA was unmoved and handled it very professionally. So glad I’m not in 1F as that poor guy’s been getting an earful for at least half an hour.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
As the door closed on SEA-DEN today, 1E loudly claimed that her large handbag would not be going in the overhead since “it’s a $400 bag.” The FA was unmoved and handled it very professionally. So glad I’m not in 1F as that poor guy’s been getting an earful for at least half an hour.
When you think about it, it’s actually a multimillion dollar overhead, so she should be honored and flattered for her handbag.
jsloan, EricH, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The 50 post discussion on Jetway Etiquette and Do you go into "Airport Mode"? What is your "Airport Mode"? have been moved to their own separate threads

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2023 at 1:57 pm Reason: Another spinoff
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
As opposed to someone else's $900 Tumi or Rimowa luggage.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
As opposed to someone else's $900 Tumi or Rimowa luggage.
Exactly! One reason I’d be fired on the spot as an FA. “Sorry, you’re below out cutoff for precious bags.”

Massive credit to the FA who handled it with aplomb.
jsloan, uanj, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by wakko11
Not sure what this means regarding being a passenger on an airplane.
What it means, is that unless it's a redeye flight... you shouldn't look like you just rolled out of bed 5 minutes ago and are in Pajamas and Foam Slippers. Which sadly, is something I have seen on several occasions.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What it means, is that unless it's a redeye flight... you shouldn't look like you just rolled out of bed 5 minutes ago and are in Pajamas and Foam Slippers. Which sadly, is something I have seen on several occasions.
So when I have to run to catch YVR-SFO after arriving from BKK or DEL in the early morning, you're going to judge me because it's a reasonably timed 2 hour flight, without having any idea what my last 16 hours entailed?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So when I have to run to catch YVR-SFO after arriving from BKK or DEL in the early morning, you're going to judge me because it's a reasonably timed 2 hour flight, without having any idea what my last 16 hours entailed?
With all due respect, I trust that, as a fellow business traveler, you wouldn't find yourself dashing between terminals in casual attire like foam slippers and graphic-print pajamas. I hold the belief that you possess a level of self-respect that would prevent such a compromise in your presentation. At the very least, I certainly hope so.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:33 am

With all due respect, I trust that, as a fellow business traveler, you wouldn't find yourself dashing between terminals in casual attire like foam slippers and graphic-print pajamas. I hold the belief that you possess a level of self-respect that would prevent such a compromise in your presentation. At the very least, I certainly hope so.
Sounds like you're the one that has problems when others do not think like you. I don't consider casual attire as a lack of self-respect.
rhwbullhead and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by wakko11
Sounds like you're the one that has problems when others do not think like you. I don't consider casual attire as a lack of self-respect.
Once again, I am referring to passengers who are wearing graphic print pajamas and foam slippers. It is certainly not the appropriate attire for flying.

Allow me to reiterate that it is my hope that individuals traveling for business purposes would possess the self-respect and awareness to present themselves in a manner that reflects positively on both themselves and their company.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
Once again, I am referring to passengers who are wearing graphic print pajamas and foam slippers. It is certainly not the appropriate attire for flying.

Allow me to reiterate that it is my hope that individuals traveling for business purposes would possess the self-respect and awareness to present themselves in a manner that reflects positively on both themselves and their company.
I'm confused. How do you know those folks are traveling for business purposes rather than on personal travel? Why should their travel attire reflect on their company if no-one knows who they work for?

Generally speaking, who decides what is appropriate clothing for flying? I assume it's the airline not some specific passenger. Clothes being dirty or too revealing can maybe be an issue, but too informal? Feels arbitrary.
wakko11 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's one thing the pandemic taught me, it's that I can often do business in my PJs. And I enjoy that state of affairs quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.