Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old May 3, 16, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
I recently was flying solo to Hawaii. I had a lie-flat seat. During boarding, a pax asked me to switch. No big deal, right.

Luckily, I asked in which seat she was booked. I don't remember the seat number, but it was middle seat in Y!

She didn't want a middle seat and "....you look like a nice guy!"
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
I just don't get it - is asking to switch from Y to C, and nonchalantly at that, a thing? I've never seen it and just can't see the gall. What do they think will happen - someone will do it? And when the person realizes the seat is in Y and wants their original C seat back, do these DYKWIAs think they'll somehow win that fight?
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's epidemic!

Did some blogger post a new "how to" on creative ways to upgrade to F?
Concern for personality disorder, if not a worse mental problem in these people! Yikes.
Old May 3, 16, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Concern for personality disorder, if not a worse mental problem in these people! Yikes.
Narcissistic personality disorder. Five bucks says these women are from SF and routinely do yoga poses in their seat.
Old May 3, 16, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Five bucks says these women are from SF and routinely do yoga poses in their seat.
Ten bucks says they do their routine yoga poses in someone else's seat!
Old May 3, 16, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Last week, flying in 7D on a 175, ORD-IAH. Guy in 7C feels both his area and mine are really both his. His size 15's were so far into my area that I had to use the tray table to block him at times. I didn't need to read my own newspaper, as his was halfway into my area...

I finally asked if he would like me to move. He acted confused, but I explained that I don't appreciate his serious invasion into my space. While he didn't apologize, he did make more of an effort afterwards, but also commented that he his a big time flyer with UA and that he was shocked UA didn't block out a seat next him.

Later, after drink service he asked why I received a free drink and snack. I said it's a 1K perk, he responded that he is a Silver.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 3, 16, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL GS; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Last week, flying in 7D on a 175, ORD-IAH. Guy in 7C feels both his area and mine are really both his. His size 15's were so far into my area that I had to use the tray table to block him at times. I didn't need to read my own newspaper, as his was halfway into my area...

I finally asked if he would like me to move. He acted confused, but I explained that I don't appreciate his serious invasion into my space. While he didn't apologize, he did make more of an effort afterwards, but also commented that he his a big time flyer with UA and that he was shocked UA didn't block out a seat next him.

Later, after drink service he asked why I received a free drink and snack. I said it's a 1K perk, he responded that he is a Silver.
a classic
Old May 3, 16, 10:22 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
It's epidemic!

Did some blogger post a new "how to" on creative ways to upgrade to F?
I guess there are enough people out there who think for 7 hours its worth the try, all that can happen is I say no.
Old May 3, 16, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
...all that can happen is I say no.
Well, if it's really prolific there may really be the occasional person who says "yes".
Sort of like telemarketers or SPAM; they wouldn't still be doing it, if there's NEVER anyone who actually says "yes"!
Old May 3, 16, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold

doesnt get much more DYKWIA than that
Old May 3, 16, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
IDKWYANDUA
I don't know who you are nor does United
Old May 3, 16, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
IDKWYANDUA
I don't know who you are nor does United
ANC

And Nobody Cares
Old May 3, 16, 2:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond
Narcissistic personality disorder. Five bucks says these women are from SF and routinely do yoga poses in their seat.
I recently heard the term 49ers for people like that…
Old May 3, 16, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

After that, did you start calling him "Big Time" a la Han Solo in The Force Awakens?
Old May 3, 16, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
After that, did you start calling him "Big Time" a la Han Solo in The Force Awakens?
Haha, despite being a big Star Wars fan that didn't cross my mind.
Old May 3, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
It was "Big Deal". Faux fan
Old May 3, 16, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
It was "Big Deal". Faux fan
Pax presumably called himself Big Time... would have been weird to start calling him "Big Deal" no?

Search this Thread