FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines.html)

wxguy Jan 28, 19 6:42 am


Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 30709517)
As the GA paged at the beginning of my last trip "Our final pre-boarding group is here more often than I am -- our Premier 1K flyers, you know who you are -- 100,000 or more miles per year -- you are welcome to pre-board and thank you for your business..."

Well, not quite true. Three round-trips in paid Z east coast to SIN gets you enough PQM for 1K.

teeceedee Feb 4, 19 3:19 pm


Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30694721)
This is my problem with 1K pre-boarding. There's no line to cut into (except at NRT).

Instead, people hover somewhere near the entrance to the gate area and more-or-less wait for 1K pre-boarding to be called -- but since there's no line, it's impossible for anybody to tell the difference between other 1Ks waiting for the pre-boarding call and non-1Ks who like to stand near the gate... and so you get this mass of people all independently moving toward the gate agent like the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.

Guess I'm the odd one out here, I don't mind this at all. Even out of IAH where 1K pre-boarding is 20+, it's a generic "shuffle" to get on the plane. No real line, but definitely a lot less anxiety then when it was G1 and you could be 50 people back. The (still large) pre-boarding group is small enough to where there's no anxiety to ensure you don't get cut in the non-existent pre-board line, IMO.

laxmillenial Mar 15, 19 5:58 am

This morning at SFO; premier check-in area was a bit weird. But that's no excuse to GS members. I'm sorry but this guy gives you guys a bad rep. So, there are two lines, GS/1K,Polaris and Premier.

Everyone appears to be lined up in Premier. I line up in 1K,Polaris line (and GS) and ...

GS#1 says "that's not a line".
Me: "Ok, thanks" and I line up behind everyone else in the Premier line.
Wait 2 minutes...
GS#2: <Lines up in the 1K/Polaris/GS line that I was just in>
GS#1: "That's not a line"
GS#2: "I'm GS" "Who are you" "I don't have to listen to you"
GS#1: "Hey man, I'm GS too. The agent told me to line up here; there's only one line"
GS#2: "Shut up. Who are you. I'm GS"
<insert 90 seconds of bickering like 5 year olds>
Agent: <Tells GS#2 that he's not in a line and he moves to the back of the queue like everyone else>

I mean seriously guys. These were grown men wearing wedding rings. It's not a freaking contest about who has the biggest ego. Grow up. If I'm in my 20s and I understand the concept of lines, you have had 20-30+ years longer to understand the concept of lines. <Insert comment about how I wish I could publicly shame some people but i bet you if I stuck my neck out that guy would just be an ahole right back...so I post it on Flyertalk>

SFOdelayed Mar 15, 19 6:22 am


Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30889826)
This morning at SFO; premier check-in area was a bit weird. But that's no excuse to GS members. I'm sorry but this guy gives you guys a bad rep. So, there are two lines, GS/1K,Polaris and Premier.

Everyone appears to be lined up in Premier. I line up in 1K,Polaris line (and GS) and ...

GS#1 says "that's not a line".
Me: "Ok, thanks" and I line up behind everyone else in the Premier line.
Wait 2 minutes...
GS#2: <Lines up in the 1K/Polaris/GS line that I was just in>
GS#1: "That's not a line"
GS#2: "I'm GS" "Who are you" "I don't have to listen to you"
GS#1: "Hey man, I'm GS too. The agent told me to line up here; there's only one line"
GS#2: "Shut up. Who are you. I'm GS"
<insert 90 seconds of bickering like 5 year olds>
Agent: <Tells GS#2 that he's not in a line and he moves to the back of the queue like everyone else>

I mean seriously guys. These were grown men wearing wedding rings. It's not a freaking contest about who has the biggest ego. Grow up. If I'm in my 20s and I understand the concept of lines, you have had 20-30+ years longer to understand the concept of lines. <Insert comment about how I wish I could publicly shame some people but i bet you if I stuck my neck out that guy would just be an ahole right back...so I post it on Flyertalk>

Canít wait for the corresponding post in the GS benefits thread with someone complaining about how GS has gone down the tubes because they couldnít cut the line 🙂

wondering why they didnít just use the GS lobby?

laxmillenial Mar 15, 19 6:25 am


Originally Posted by SFOdelayed (Post 30889907)


Canít wait for the corresponding post in the GS benefits thread with someone complaining about how GS has gone down the tubes because they couldnít cut the line 🙂

wondering why they didnít just use the GS lobby?

i assume because it wasnít open? When does it open on weekdays?

bman1002 Mar 15, 19 8:24 am


Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30889826)
This morning at SFO;

I know there are entitled folks at every airport, but I feel like I see something similar every time at SFO in the premier check-in area.

cerealmarketer Mar 15, 19 11:02 am


Originally Posted by bman1002 (Post 30890349)
I know there are entitled folks at every airport, but I feel like I see something similar every time at SFO in the premier check-in area.

There is something about that particular line. Two side by side with a rope - sign at the beginning but a 90 degree turn along the way - not terribly clear there's a difference when you're at the head of the line.

And 1K / Polaris usually has no one.

Funny the GS don't know their lobby benefit.

GDL Mar 15, 19 2:44 pm


Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30889918)


i assume because it wasnít open? When does it open on weekdays?

Was this at SFO terminal 3 or in the International terminal? I believe the GS check-in area is in terminal 3, which would make for a very long walk if you were in International terminal.
I am more amused than surprised by such bickering. A thread like this one has made me more aware at all the nonsense ant entitled behavior happening around airports. It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.

bman1002 Mar 15, 19 2:47 pm


Originally Posted by GDL (Post 30891878)
It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.

Other than trying to be a nice person in general, this is why I try to avoid being snippy to other folks at the airport :-).

kirkwoodj Mar 15, 19 8:22 pm

Read first line, immediately thought they Sound like unearned/gifted/corporate GS or MM designees since not using Global Reception :rolleyes:

txaggiemiles Mar 15, 19 8:44 pm


Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 30891016)
There is something about that particular line. Two side by side with a rope - sign at the beginning but a 90 degree turn along the way - not terribly clear there's a difference when you're at the head of the line.

And 1K / Polaris usually has no one.

Funny the GS don't know their lobby benefit.

So Iím a bit confused... was there actually only one line with two signs above it or were there two signs representing two lines but the agent was only recognizing one?

laxmillenial Mar 15, 19 10:10 pm


Originally Posted by GDL (Post 30891878)
Was this at SFO terminal 3 or in the International terminal? I believe the GS check-in area is in terminal 3, which would make for a very long walk if you were in International terminal.
I am more amused than surprised by such bickering. A thread like this one has made me more aware at all the nonsense ant entitled behavior happening around airports. It would have been amazing to witness if these two folks were to be seatmates on their upcoming flights.

This was T3.

laxmillenial Mar 15, 19 10:11 pm


Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 30892800)


So I’m a bit confused... was there actually only one line with two signs above it or were there two signs representing two lines but the agent was only recognizing one?

the latter. 2 lines; 2 signs, but the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line. I do not blame the agent/UA at all. She was very nice; kept asking what people needed and if they were just checking a bag; did it for them at the machines. She bent over backwards to be nice to this gentlemen who clearly didn't deserve it.

txaggiemiles Mar 15, 19 11:10 pm


Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30892958)
the latter. 2 lines; 2 signs, but the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line. I do not blame the agent/UA at all. She was very nice; kept asking what people needed and if they were just checking a bag; did it for them at the machines. She bent over backwards to be nice to this gentlemen who clearly didn't deserve it.

I didnít see it, so I defer to you who did -

but in this case I might have questioned in the same way GS2 did. I wonder if GS1 could have said ďthe agent isnít allowing two linesĒ rather than just ďthatís not a lineĒ. But tone (for both GS1 and 2) maters a lot.

Kacee Mar 16, 19 5:28 am


Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30892958)
the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line

Limited staffing is a big problem at SFO T3 Premier check-in counters virtually all day. The two times I've had to drop a bag recently there were either 1 or 2 agents working, a row of unstaffed kiosks, and a long line.

The UA employees managing the lines are not at all happy about it because they have to field complaints from angry Premiers all day long. They say that line-cutting by non-Premiers is also a big problem. UA has now put up manned barriers to block access, but apparently people just sneak under and the contract agents staffing the kiosks won't send them back.

This is purely cost cutting by UA. It matches up with what they're doing to the onboard Polaris service.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:17 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright @ MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.