FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines.html)

wrp96 Mar 24, 2024 3:56 pm

Yeah the problem wasn’t the drinking but the attitude.

enviroian Mar 24, 2024 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 36106674)
but the attitude.

This is what prompted my comment, not the drink itself.

lincolnjkc Mar 24, 2024 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36106665)
I had no issue with 1C ordering the drinks. I also had a bourbon at noon on a Sunday. But the whole interaction was so uncomfortable and wrong.

my biggest fear is these types ruining it for the rest of us

My concern is also for his reference to having access to FA's manuals since IIRC those are considered security sensitive information and most if not all of those with legitimate access are in a safety sensitive role (e.g. actually a FA, management, etc.) & the demeanor/possible alcohol dependency make one's suitability for those roles questionable.

Or if they aren't in a SSP the implications of their access to and use of that information.

txaggiemiles Mar 24, 2024 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36106693)
This is what prompted my comment, not the drink itself.

Didn't take offense to your comments. I just want to be a quiet little degenerate enjoying my Sunday without actual a-holes making it difficult for me.

fumje Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 36106674)
Yeah the problem wasn’t the drinking but the attitude.

Yep. Nbd ordering a double on a short flight. Picking a fight with the FA over whatever it is you want — a drink, where your bag is stored, hanging a coat — that's the problem.

bmwe92fan Mar 24, 2024 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36106665)
I had no issue with 1C ordering the drinks. I also had a bourbon at noon on a Sunday. But the whole interaction was so uncomfortable and wrong.

my biggest fear is these types ruining it for the rest of us

Sorry - didn't mean it that way -- the FA wouldn't serve a double, Dao hadn't been dragged off a plane, social media hadn't been invented....

txaggiemiles Mar 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 36106726)
Sorry - didn't mean it that way -- the FA wouldn't serve a double, Dao hadn't been dragged off a plane, social media hadn't been invented....

Still not clear what you mean but I think we are in agreement.

bmwe92fan Mar 24, 2024 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36106735)
Still not clear what you mean but I think we are in agreement.

I just meant I wasn't referring to you -- just that in general in society everything escalates so fast these days... Both the behavior and the responses... 15 years ago when I ordered a double I would get "I like your style" -- today it is battle royale....

txaggiemiles Mar 24, 2024 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 36106740)
I just meant I wasn't referring to you -- just that in general in society everything escalates so fast these days... Both the behavior and the responses... 15 years ago when I ordered a double I would get "I like your style" -- today it is battle royale....

100% ‘I like your style’ guy here but I could tell that 1C was an odd one from the moment I boarded.

narvik Mar 24, 2024 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36106505)
Had a wackadoodle experience on a short hop intra-Texas today.

Pretty good FA (despite the argument at the end).
Who was the operator; this was UX, yes?

txaggiemiles Mar 24, 2024 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 36106777)
Pretty good FA (despite the argument at the end).
Who was the operator; this was UX, yes?

100% agree the FA was awesome. She came through in all the areas I want. Sucky for her how it ended.

Mesa but a UA tail branded plane. Not the Mesa tails.

bmwe92fan Mar 24, 2024 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 36106763)
100% ‘I like your style’ guy here but I could tell that 1C was an odd one from the moment I boarded.

Yes I'm sure -- and the FA seems to have handled it well... Today it's like people are walking around ready to blow at 99% threshold -- I may be old but I feel like people were much more around 35% years ago.... Everything is so ready to blow -- especially with DYKWIA!

artvandalay Mar 24, 2024 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 36106740)

There was a time when it was customary in F to be served two drinks, and two more if requested.

LaserSailor Mar 25, 2024 4:27 am

…and now we know better…

my worst DKWIA ended badly for my 1A seat mate. Delayed flight to MSP from somewhere, gets up on taxiway to stow his coat. FA firmly tells him to be seated, he fights back, then says those magic words “ I don’t want any trouble from you the rest of this flight”

FA pulls the intercom, pilot announces 30 seconds later we need to return to the gate for some “ paperwork”

…and local police pull him off at the gate

i write up a piece on the incident and give it pilot on exit , and he pulls me aside and turns out she is on new hire probation, and my letter just saved her a lot of hassle.

The Creator rewarded me by making her my FA on that money route for me for the next 3-4 years, and my service and perks were…..extraordinary.

exerda Mar 30, 2024 6:16 pm

2 pax at ORD UC bar asking for a lemon drop. First asks bartender to add lemons (he does) and give her some lemon wedges. Then asks for more syrup because "it's too strong." Bartender obliges and adds a hefty dose of sugar water.

Pax then starts complaining and asking for a manager, claiming the bartender was rude (?) and that she's entitled to the same drinks and treatment as anyone else, that she paid for first class, etc. Manager comes over and she repeats this spiel and "I've been coming here for years and never have been treated this way."

Manager gets her new drinks. Meanwhile, pax asks her friend, "What's this bar called again?" and starts flagging down random club staff to ask where desserts are.

The whole, "I'm in first class!" bit plus berating the bartender for nothing he apparently did wrong... Ugh.