Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 6, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Aren't the bouncy walkways fun? They're like mini trampolines and always make me feel like a kid using them.
If/when they get renov-graded (up? down? side?)-graded I will be sad. My wife thought I was loosing it on our way back from Tokyo when i just did a few laps bouncing my way down the moving trampolines before our flight the rest of the way home. Some of my most vivid early flying memories are passing through SFO on my way to visit my grandparents (MFR) or the return. Wow 25+ that was years ago. I'm getting old.
findark likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Which moving walkways? I'm not picturing it. For departures, I thought whichever direction you go, there is always only one going 'forward', and that one is to the right. For arrivals, I thought there were two in one direction and none, rather than one, in the other.

(This is in the international G terminal being discussed, right?)
Going out to the rotunda in T3, there's 1. Coming towards baggage claim, there are 2. The right one goes about 10 feet further
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
Going out to the rotunda in T3, there's 1. Coming towards baggage claim, there are 2. The right one goes about 10 feet further
Ah, not the international terminal then. Funny, it never registered to me that one went further than the other.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:58 am

Which moving walkways? I'm not picturing it. For departures, I thought whichever direction you go, there is always only one going 'forward', and that one is to the right. For arrivals, I thought there were two in one direction and none, rather than one, in the other.

(This is in the international G terminal being discussed, right?)
Yes. I was in the walkway going out towards the end of the concourse... gate 102

When I said I moved to the left, I don't mean that I switched walkways (that would not be possible). Just that the lady was blocking most of the end of the walkway, so I moved to the leftmost part and squeezed by her (without making any contact)

The other options would have been to start walking backwards on the walkway (to stay in place), or just to run her over.
SPN Lifer and greytop13 like this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Aren't the bouncy walkways fun? They're like mini trampolines and always make me feel like a kid using them.
I miss those at EWR . . . gave you a brief Tigger moment
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:20 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM UC | AA Plat 0.5MM AC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Was it really this guy?

Sucker. I paid $104 for this flight last week and got the free upgrade! GF went out with three opens seats!
Yes, really that guy. I know his $2,500 (let alone "three grand") was a made up number or involved a much more notable RT because I was on a OW D fare for $700 booked about 72 hours out. Full F on that route rarely gets over $1,200 OW IME.
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Bouncy like those at CDG?
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
If/when they get renov-graded (up? down? side?)-graded I will be sad. My wife thought I was loosing it on our way back from Tokyo when i just did a few laps bouncing my way down the moving trampolines before our flight the rest of the way home. Some of my most vivid early flying memories are passing through SFO on my way to visit my grandparents (MFR) or the return. Wow 25+ that was years ago. I'm getting old.
Same here - I grew up going to that terminal too. After the merger walked one of those walkways for the first time in over 15 years and it was a rush of nostalgia. Heck the whole terminal itself looks about the same, and frankly holds up well. High ceilings, lots of light, spacious waiting areas.
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Ah, not the international terminal then. Funny, it never registered to me that one went further than the other.
The 2 are parallel, it's not one going forward. It looks like this:

<----------------
<----------------

----------------->
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
Same here - I grew up going to that terminal too. After the merger walked one of those walkways for the first time in over 15 years and it was a rush of nostalgia. Heck the whole terminal itself looks about the same, and frankly holds up well. High ceilings, lots of light, spacious waiting areas.
And it has the "VOID" painting high up in the further part of the concourse. I always know I'm "home" (as in home away from home) when I see that.
cerealmarketer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:44 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
And it has the "VOID" painting high up in the further part of the concourse. I always know I'm "home" (as in home away from home) when I see that.
Seems like it should be the "Noid" from Domino's..

MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Until the arrival of the Polaris lounge, they were the best thing at SFO. Now they're a close second, but still awesome. Love those things.
Old Jun 14, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
EWR two nights ago, walking past one of the A gates. I had to giggle as I heard, "Why wouldn't you hold that plane for me, you knew I was coming in on a delayed flight. Clearly you do not value my Silver Status and business. I am going to report you, whats your name?"

I had to board one gate over so I could not see the conclusion, but last I heard, "I am never going to fly your airline again. Delta will get all my business from now on."
jsloan, rch4u, MatthewLAX and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
EWR two nights ago, walking past one of the A gates. I had to giggle as I heard, "Why wouldn't you hold that plane for me, you knew I was coming in on a delayed flight. Clearly you do not value my Silver Status and business. I am going to report you, whats your name?"
A bit along the same vein, years ago in the CO days, a gate I was walking by at EWR had a woman screaming at a gate agent (no idea what for) but part of her rant was "MY HUSBAND FLIES OVER FIVE THOUSAND MILES A YEAR ON CONTINENTAL!". I couldn't help but snicker loudly.
Old Jun 17, 19, 6:49 am
HMO

Originally Posted by SteveHK View Post
A bit along the same vein, years ago in the CO days, a gate I was walking by at EWR had a woman screaming at a gate agent (no idea what for) but part of her rant was "MY HUSBAND FLIES OVER FIVE THOUSAND MILES A YEAR ON CONTINENTAL!". I couldn't help but snicker loudly.
Sometimes I need to fly to the USA for work. Each leg is more than 5,000 miles...
mdtakamine and Brandinho1 like this.

Search this Thread