Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FLT 844 Sunday 10 Jan, 2016 - J9 but no R space. Why?

Old Jan 8, 16, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

GRU-ORD

OK, Why is there no R space. J9 and tons of open seats. Two days away, are GPU's becoming worthless in advance or am I missing something. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It appears that even with plenty of seats UA waits till the last minute (24 hours) in the hope that people will either buy full fare Biz or pay $1000 and up for an upgrade. Happened to me all last year on flights regardless of city pairs! I always cleared just after check-in and declining the upgrade offer.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Rogerdodger View Post
GRU-ORD

OK, Why is there no R space.
Because UA wants to sell the seats.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:40 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Can we pin the thread about upgrade space being released to the top of the forum?
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:41 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
GRU-ORD

OK, Why is there no R space. J9 and tons of open seats. Two days away, are GPU's becoming worthless in advance or am I missing something. Thanks in advance for your help.
Over the last 6 months I've seen them up-selling these seats at check-in rather than applying GPUs, and then 1 hour before the flight they process the GPUs.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Because UA wants to sell the seats.
So the answer is, advanced R space is being eliminated. They've had 330 days to sell 48 seats, and 2 days from now, there are still 20 plus seats. In fact all four flights from GRU have tons of open seats, yet no R space. Are they expecting a herd of premium customers?
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:55 am

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire, CET 7*
So the answer is, advanced R space is being eliminated. They've had 330 days to sell 48 seats, and 2 days from now, there are still 20 plus seats. In fact all four flights from GRU have tons of open seats, yet no R space. Are they expecting a herd of premium customers?
A herd, no. A gaggle of people willing to drop miles & $$$, you bet.

Your chance of clearing is good, but as noted above, it'll probably happen at the gate.
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
So the answer is, advanced R space is being eliminated.
That's an oversimplification.

R availability has always been limited and releases have always been unpredictable (except for the releases at T-24, which were mostly eliminated about a year ago).

In recent years, UA has increasingly sought to sell BF seats at check-in before releasing them for upgrade. This is particularly true on the TATL and South America routes. Advance R space is still relatively easy to find TPAC (depending on day and destination). And it can still be found in advance on some of the TATL and South America flights, but it's not easy.

Someone starts one of these "BF is wide open why isn't UA opening any upgrade space" threads at least once per week (sometimes daily), so forgive the jaded responses.
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I complained to 1KVoice and got this canned response:

"MileagePlus and United works within a budget to provide you with a set of benefits that recognize your loyalty. We recognize that the ability to redeem upgrades is an important benefit and while we empathize with your concerns that upgradeable seats are not being made available as early, as many, or as often, United is a business that must make fiscally sound decisions on how best to use and market the resources and products available to run a profitable, sustainable operation. While I understand your frustration that some of the destinations we serve are sometimes unavailable for use with upgrades, please know that the vast majority of destinations are available at different times of the year. Regardless, your feedback about award availabilities is important to us and will help formulate decisions to create an airline receptive to your needs."
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:50 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
I complained to 1KVoice and got this canned response:

"MileagePlus and United works within a budget to provide you with a set of benefits that recognize your loyalty. We recognize that the ability to redeem upgrades is an important benefit and while we empathize with your concerns that upgradeable seats are not being made available as early, as many, or as often, United is a business that must make fiscally sound decisions on how best to use and market the resources and products available to run a profitable, sustainable operation. While I understand your frustration that some of the destinations we serve are sometimes unavailable for use with upgrades, please know that the vast majority of destinations are available at different times of the year. Regardless, your feedback about award availabilities is important to us and will help formulate decisions to create an airline receptive to your needs."
Wow, an honest answer. ^
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's an oversimplification.

R availability has always been limited and releases have always been unpredictable (except for the releases at T-24, which were mostly eliminated about a year ago).

In recent years, UA has increasingly sought to sell BF seats at check-in before releasing them for upgrade. This is particularly true on the TATL and South America routes. Advance R space is still relatively easy to find TPAC (depending on day and destination). And it can still be found in advance on some of the TATL and South America flights, but it's not easy.

Someone starts one of these "BF is wide open why isn't UA opening any upgrade space" threads at least once per week (sometimes daily), so forgive the jaded responses.
Thanks for your response...I understand, but this one just seemed out of the "norm." It was the number of open seats (this close in) that bothered me. Surely there is enough data to show they can satisfy all stakeholders, not just the additional revenue ones.
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Wow, an honest answer. ^
Yes, and a very sensible one.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Yes, and a very sensible one.
My issue was the growing spread between GS and 1K instrument availability. (Seeing PN9 R0 more and more...). This demonstrates the relative value of 1Ks to them vs. GS, so the numbers speak for themselves I guess. I just wanted to make sure this availability logic is intentional and not a system/operational quirk...
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just because a particular flight does not have R availability does not mean no flight ever does. I've seen plenty of R space. For example, ORD-CDG on 4/7 is R3 and on 4/8 is R7. You can turn around and come home on Monday and confirm that too.

I just flew in Feb 2015 to and from GRU with two GPUs confirmed in advance.

Also, how do you know they don't already have several people who confirmed with GPUs on that very flight?
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by villox View Post
Just because a particular flight does not have R availability does not mean no flight ever does. I've seen plenty of R space. For example, ORD-CDG on 4/7 is R3 and on 4/8 is R7. You can turn around and come home on Monday and confirm that too.

I just flew in Feb 2015 to and from GRU with two GPUs confirmed in advance.

Also, how do you know they don't already have several people who confirmed with GPUs on that very flight?
Because I called and there is still wide open space, J9. On every flight that day out of Brazil.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: