Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FLT 844 Sunday 10 Jan, 2016 - J9 but no R space. Why?

FLT 844 Sunday 10 Jan, 2016 - J9 but no R space. Why?

Old Jan 8, 16, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Rogerdodger View Post
It was the number of open seats (this close in) that bothered me. Surely there is enough data to show they can satisfy all stakeholders, not just the additional revenue ones.
I'd be frustrated too. But booked 22/40 in BF, so strong likelihood you will ultimately clear.

UA does err both ways here. I've confirmed GPUs and RPUs in advance on flights that subsequently sold out completely and my upgrade represented a full fare ticket they were unable to sell. (Last spring was at the counter at JFK where a guy was begging to buy two walk up full fare tickets on a ps flight where my girlfriend and I were confirmed on RPUs).

Originally Posted by villox View Post
Also, how do you know they don't already have several people who confirmed with GPUs on that very flight?
Yes, exactly. They may have an initial quota of, say, five upgrades, which has already been reached.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
My issue was the growing spread between GS and 1K instrument availability. (Seeing PN9 R0 more and more...). This demonstrates the relative value of 1Ks to them vs. GS, so the numbers speak for themselves I guess. I just wanted to make sure this availability logic is intentional and not a system/operational quirk...
My understanding is PN usually maps to P, so complaining about the PN <> R spread is like complaining about P <> R spread. Customer Care just responded to you explaining why there's a P <> R spread, and by extension, the same answer applies to PN <> R.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
My understanding is PN usually maps to P, so complaining about the PN <> R spread is like complaining about P <> R spread. Customer Care just responded to you explaining why there's a P <> R spread, and by extension, the same answer applies to PN <> R.
That's a non-answer by UA. It's fairly common to see P9 PN0 (but you will never see the converse).

Their algorithm is set to open PN in certain circumstances and R in others. The reality is that UA is much looser with PN than with R, and that is a deliberate policy favoring GS. (Note that on flights with BF, PN has no purpose other than GS upgrades.)
Old Jan 8, 16, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rogerdodger View Post
Because I called and there is still wide open space, J9. On every flight that day out of Brazil.
That doesn't mean they never had R availability on that flight. Maybe every person who's currently sitting in BusinessFirst is an upgrade already. Either way I'd say your chances of being upgraded are pretty good. I think this is one of the easiest flights to upgrade.
Old Jan 8, 16, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by villox View Post
That doesn't mean they never had R availability on that flight. Maybe every person who's currently sitting in BusinessFirst is an upgrade already. Either way I'd say your chances of being upgraded are pretty good. I think this is one of the easiest flights to upgrade.
Thank You!
Old Jan 8, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Just think of it like one of those Black Friday sales where they advertise they have cheap or free merchandise. However, if you actually go there, you find out they only had one.

UA advertises this upgrade benefit (GPU, RPU, CPU, Miles, etc) however they don't advertise the actual numbers. Sure there is R availability, but you have to be really flexible and/or lucky to actually find it in advance. In some ways, upgrading at the gate is more "fair" in that the upgrade is based on the list which is ranked in some way. When you apply an instrument at booking, you are grabbing that upgrade where perhaps some higher paying or higher status passenger is missing out.

For me, much of my intl travel is leisure so I don't book an intl flight unless R is available and am willing to set my dates, duration, routing around that. Some must travel on certain dates and dont have that luxury.
Old Jan 8, 16, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
My understanding is PN usually maps to P
P and PN were delinked a while ago, they're randomly consistent now. J/JN, Z/ZN, Y/YN, H/HN are all still linked AFAIK. O/ON are not linked AFAIK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: