International connection at IAD or EWR

Old Jan 7, 16, 4:26 pm
formerly marubill
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Marriott Plt
International connection at IAD or EWR

I am flying LAX-VIE; will be flying LAX-IAD/EWR on UA and IAD/EWR-VIE on OS, all on J. I have done similar route in the past via ORD, but at ORD have to clear security again since it is different terminal and no pre-TSA in terminal 5 and it is a hassle. Not familiar with either airport (IAD & EWR), which one will be better? And is 1:30 connection enough?
Old Jan 7, 16, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
IAD you would not have to clear security; EWR you would.

That said, EWR will give you a flatbed LAX-EWR as it's Premium Service. I would recommend EWR given these options.
Old Jan 7, 16, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by marubill View Post
I am flying LAX-VIE; will be flying LAX-IAD/EWR on UA and IAD/EWR-VIE on OS, all on J.
LAX-EWR is all lie-flat in J. IAD is not. If you can't get a lie-flat to IAD, that would be the tie-breaker right there.

(and btw, neither airport is particularly good for connections; IAD is less likely to have delays but more likely to have a really long walk between gates)

Why not LAX-MUC/FRA-VIE? IMO much better to make the connection in Europe, particularly on the eastbound. I find the TATL from the east coast is too short to get good sleep.
Old Jan 7, 16, 4:38 pm

I would go with IAD, much easier to navigate and you won't have to go through security again, you can either get on the tram or a "people mover" to get from United's terminal C/D to terminal A where most international flights leave from.
Old Jan 7, 16, 4:45 pm
formerly marubill
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa View Post

That said, EWR will give you a flatbed LAX-EWR as it's Premium Service. I would recommend EWR given these options.
Both flights in the morning to IAD have 752 with lie-flat

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
LAX-EWR is all lie-flat in J. IAD is not. If you can't get a lie-flat to IAD, that would be the tie-breaker right there.

(and btw, neither airport is particularly good for connections; IAD is less likely to have delays but more likely to have a really long walk between gates)

Why not LAX-MUC/FRA-VIE? IMO much better to make the connection in Europe, particularly on the eastbound. I find the TATL from the east coast is too short to get good sleep.
So 1:30 connection at IAD maybe not enough?
When I originally did this route I asked and was recommended OS over LH and to avoid FRA. Do you have different experience?
Old Jan 7, 16, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS

When I originally did this route I asked and was recommended OS over LH and to avoid FRA. Do you have different experience?
You are fine with 1:30 connecting time.

I have been avoding FRA and started using ZRH and VIE as my connecting point to other EU destination. I have also enjoyed LX and OS flights in premium cabins more than LH. OS catering is one of the best I have expereinced. I actually prefer it over SQ and TK.

It is always better not having to lear EU immigration at FRA, then going through the maze of FRA trying to find your gate, and simply clear immigration upon arrival at VIE.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 7, 16 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 7, 16, 5:12 pm
formerly marubill
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
You are fine with 1:30 connecting time.

I have been avoding FRA and started using ZRH and VIE as my connecting point to other EU destination. I have also enjoyed LX and OS flights in premium cabin than LH. OS catering is one of the best I have expereinced. I actually prefer it over SQ and TK.

It is always better not having to lear EU immigration at FRA, then going through the maze of FRA trying to find your gate, and simply clear immigration upon arrival at VIE.
That's what I was told, to try and avoid FRA
I do agree with you that OS has the best catering. And yes, usually I do the return VIE-ZRH-LAX on LX which is pretty good.
Old Jan 7, 16, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
90 minutes is okay if your flight from LAX is on time. But you do have a fairly long journey (perhaps 20-30 minutes) at IAD to get to Terminal B where the OS (and LH) flights depart.

You can also fly LAX-MUC-VIE, but perhaps the afternoon arrival does not work so well for your schedule.

I just prefer to make my connection in Europe rather than the east coast. It doesn't help that both IAD and EWR are both miserable airports YMMV
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:58 am
formerly marubill
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
90 minutes is okay if your flight from LAX is on time. But you do have a fairly long journey (perhaps 20-30 minutes) at IAD to get to Terminal B where the OS (and LH) flights depart.

You can also fly LAX-MUC-VIE, but perhaps the afternoon arrival does not work so well for your schedule.

I just prefer to make my connection in Europe rather than the east coast. It doesn't help that both IAD and EWR are both miserable airports YMMV
Perfect, thanks for the advice
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kodyjs317 View Post
I would go with IAD, much easier to navigate and you won't have to go through security again, you can either get on the tram or a "people mover" to get from United's terminal C/D to terminal A where most international flights leave from.
International flights at IAD do not leave from the A terminal; they leave from C or D.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
International flights at IAD do not leave from the A terminal; they leave from C or D.
United flights do, but LH/OS and others are the A.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
United flights do, but LH/OS and others are the A.
Yes, thought that was the airline OP was talking about.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
lost*in*cyberspace: OP is travelling OS over the pond, so that would be terminal A.

If flat seats are available on both flights, then I would go with IAD. EWR's service is less good, the airport tends to have issues more readily, and if you are travelling soon keep in mind that New York can sometimes be snowed in (not often, but it can happen more than in IAD).
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Nope...there is a shuttle bus from EWR C to the B pier with the *A departures, including OS.

The 90 minute connection would be fine at either. I'd choose based on arrival time or fare and then ability to get a seat assignment I like. And then just flip a coin.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are on a lie flat to IAD, take the IAD connection. If not, take EWR.

IAD will be a much more convenient hassle-free experience and there tends to be less WX. Ninety minutes is more than plenty of time for the connection and, if the inbound is late, there are alternatives.

Search this Thread