Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International connection at IAD or EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BThumme
United flights do, but LH/OS and others are the A.
LH and OS leave from the B terminal, not the A terminal.

And 90 minutes is fine at IAD, even for a C/D to B connection.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
LH and OS leave from the B terminal, not the A terminal.

And 90 minutes is fine at IAD, even for a C/D to B connection.
That's correct, I walk by their planes all the time, the A and B gates just blur together.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Agree that IAD would be better over EWR, if lay flat beds are available from LAX.

But these are daytime flights, so lay flat beds may not be as important?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Yes will be flying UA domestic and OS international.
Both available flight in the morning to connect at IAD are lie-flat (same as to EWR) and connection/arrival times are very similar between both airports.
So it seems that IAD is the better option in this case.
Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Don't forget the LH lounge at IAD Terminal B. I rather like boarding the OS flight from the lounge instead of joining the scrum at the gate.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
IAD you would not have to clear security; EWR you would.

That said, EWR will give you a flatbed LAX-EWR as it's Premium Service. I would recommend EWR given these options.
It's not possible to use the terminal shuttle at EWR to avoid redoing security? Never connected internationally there.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTstudent
Don't forget the LH lounge at IAD Terminal B. I rather like boarding the OS flight from the lounge instead of joining the scrum at the gate.
Good point, thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skidooman
lost*in*cyberspace: OP is travelling OS over the pond, so that would be terminal A.
Well, technically B, isn't it? I'd use the train stop for B (which lets pax out very near the LH Lounge), vs. the train stop for A (which lets pax out down near the United Express gates).
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by exerda
Well, technically B, isn't it? I'd use the train stop for B (which lets pax out very near the LH Lounge), vs. the train stop for A (which lets pax out down near the United Express gates).
Ditto! Practical advice from a fellow seasoned DC based flyer!^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fumje
It's not possible to use the terminal shuttle at EWR to avoid redoing security? Never connected internationally there.
If you land on an international flight at EWR, you have to go through US customs/immigration and exit outside security before re-entering security to make your connection.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Smart money flies nonstop from West Coast to Europe, or routes through YYZ (which handles winter weather far more competently than EWR OR IAD).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Smart money flies nonstop from West Coast to Europe, or routes through YYZ (which handles winter weather far more competently than EWR OR IAD).
I would also skip EWR/IAD and head straight to FRA. It's easier and also saves a few hours.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
Perfect, thanks for the advice
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
If you land on an international flight at EWR, you have to go through US customs/immigration and exit outside security before re-entering security to make your connection.
Oh I see—it's just for the inbound international flight that security needs a re-entrance?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Personally, I would connect through EWR. More frequent flights to LAX (plus flat bed seats on all those flights, P.S. beats any other domestic first/business) means, in general, better connection times each way. Having more flights to Europe from EWR also means that if you do miss your connection, there will be a better chance of getting on another flight, and if you miss your connection on the way back, there are more frequent flights to LAX. Also, I think United's terminal at IAD is a dump and I really like the improvements they are making at EWR.

If you are fine with connecting in Europe (and the connection times are not bad), then you could consider connecting in MUC or FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.