Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International connection at IAD or EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Smart money flies nonstop from West Coast to Europe, or routes through YYZ (which handles winter weather far more competently than EWR OR IAD).
Going through YYZ is horrible advice. You have to go through Canadian Immigration just to get to the connecting flight.

Also, it's more like 10-20 minutes to get from C or D UA gates to the flight to Vienna in the B gates.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
Oh I see—it's just for the inbound international flight that security needs a re-entrance?
Correct.

Domestic-to-international connections at IAD or EWR do not require re-clearing security unless you want to leave the secure area.

All international-to-domestic ones do require reclearing security in the US (with limited exceptions, e.g. preclearance at some Canadian or Caribbean airports).

Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
I would also skip EWR/IAD and head straight to FRA. It's easier and also saves a few hours.
The downside is that OS is a great TATL carrier, and going west coast - FRA means taking UA or LH, both of which offer a subpar premium cabin experience compared to OS IMHO. However, I'd probably opt for the longer sleep time, too.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
The downside is that OS is a great TATL carrier, and going west coast - FRA means taking UA or LH, both of which offer a subpar premium cabin experience compared to OS IMHO. However, I'd probably opt for the longer sleep time, too.
I know this has been common wisdom for a long time. I have jiggered routings to include an OS TATL multiple times in the past. I've been disappointed with the service the last few times. I noticed the service was only on fixed cycles on my last few flights. They never once walked around seeing if you needed anything. If you wanted something, you better darn well get it while they were pushing one of the courses passed you. I do love their food tho.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Since OP is able to get flat seating from West Coast to IAD, then I would definitely skip flying through FRA/MUC for the following reasons:

1. Flat seating all the way instead having to get on LH's intra-Euro business class which is just Y seats with an empty middle seat.

2. I cannot get around why frequent business flyers would go through the maze at FRA, and long lines of immigration and security checkpoints, and crowded LH lounges at FRA/MUC, and then get into a narrow body sardine-like business cabin.

3. Easy connecting process on the US East Coast versus going through a third country border control at the airport with a jetlag.

4. OS catering and overall experience

5. Arrive fresh into VIE directly from the US on the long haul flights
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by physioprof
If you land on an international flight at EWR, you have to go through US customs/immigration and exit outside security before re-entering security to make your connection.
The same is true of IAD (and all other US airports).

But for the outbound, you can use the shuttle without needing to re-clear security
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by exerda
Agree OS has great service, that is the reason I am trying to fly with them again

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Since OP is able to get flat seating from West Coast to IAD, then I would definitely skip flying through FRA/MUC for the following reasons:

1. Flat seating all the way instead having to get on LH's intra-Euro business class which is just Y seats with an empty middle seat.

2. I cannot get around why frequent business flyers would go through the maze at FRA, and long lines of immigration and security checkpoints, and crowded LH lounges at FRA/MUC, and then get into a narrow body sardine-like business cabin.

3. Easy connecting process on the US East Coast versus going through a third country border control at the airport with a jetlag.

4. OS catering and overall experience

5. Arrive fresh into VIE directly from the US on the long haul flights
Thanks, I think this summarizes perfectly my reason for choosing OS
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by marubill
Agree OS has great service, that is the reason I am trying to fly with them again

Thanks, I think this summarizes perfectly my reason for choosing OS
IMHO, an extra reason is five hours on a plane from LAX-IAD, then a break, then nine hours IAD-VIE. This vs 11.5 hours LAX-FRA or LAX-MUC, dealing with FRA or MUC, then the short hop in an economy seat to VIE.

The door to door travel time is a bit longer with an East Coast connection, about an hour or two.

On the way back, however, I would be inclined to route directly from Europe to LAX. I'm a big fan of going through US Customs and Immigration at my home airport. That way, if there are any delays, it won't cause me to miss my connecting flight. That or just having a long layover after the transatlantic flight before the connection.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catocony
IMHO, an extra reason is five hours on a plane from LAX-IAD, then a break, then nine hours IAD-VIE. This vs 11.5 hours LAX-FRA or LAX-MUC, dealing with FRA or MUC, then the short hop in an economy seat to VIE.
Which I consider to be far preferable. Particularly if the domestic transit is at IAD or EWR, both of which are simply miserable airports.

But this is obviously a matter of personal preference. Can't really say anyone is right or wrong here.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
On the way back, however, I would be inclined to route directly from Europe to LAX. I'm a big fan of going through US Customs and Immigration at my home airport. That way, if there are any delays, it won't cause me to miss my connecting flight. That or just having a long layover after the transatlantic flight before the connection.
Exactly, usually on the way back I've done LX via ZRH and has worked really good.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
But this is obviously a matter of personal preference. Can't really say anyone is right or wrong here.
Agree!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Flying to VIE I would go through IAD and then coming back would connect in the EU back to LAX. Here are the reasons why I would do so:
1. While IAD is just like any other huge International airport, the A/B terminal is a lot nicer than the C/D terminal. Plus since the OP is flying Business class, they would have access to the Lufthansa Lounge/Star Gold Lounge by B51.
2. Since Austrian generally uses B51, they would have direct access to the plane from the Lounge. You can't beat that.
3. The layover might not be a lot but still having the Lounge access certainly beats any US based United Club.
4. Are we positive that the EWR shuttle drops passengers to the right area for Austrian in Terminal B? If someone doesn't have to go through security at EWR going to different terminal on the shuttle, all the better. You wouldn't have that issue at IAD coming domestic-domestic/International unless they leave the sterile area.
5. As for coming back to LAX, if you can connect through FRA, MUC or ZRH all the better. It safes you the hassle of doing Immigration/ Customs in another US city than LAX.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Dulles might not be pretty but the chances of making your connection or avoiding the potential delays at EWR make IAD my choice.

Nothing worse than being on a delayed flight and worrying the entire way if you'll make your connecting flight. Will you have to sprint through the airport with your rollerboards/kids in tow only to arrive at the new gate frazzled and sweaty? That would make your connecting flight miserable as well.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree, prefer IAD over the zoo at EWR any day.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacobVB27
Flying to VIE I would go through IAD and then coming back would connect in the EU back to LAX. Here are the reasons why I would do so:
1. While IAD is just like any other huge International airport, the A/B terminal is a lot nicer than the C/D terminal. Plus since the OP is flying Business class, they would have access to the Lufthansa Lounge/Star Gold Lounge by B51.
2. Since Austrian generally uses B51, they would have direct access to the plane from the Lounge. You can't beat that.
3. The layover might not be a lot but still having the Lounge access certainly beats any US based United Club.
4. Are we positive that the EWR shuttle drops passengers to the right area for Austrian in Terminal B? If someone doesn't have to go through security at EWR going to different terminal on the shuttle, all the better. You wouldn't have that issue at IAD coming domestic-domestic/International unless they leave the sterile area.
5. As for coming back to LAX, if you can connect through FRA, MUC or ZRH all the better. It safes you the hassle of doing Immigration/ Customs in another US city than LAX.
Thanks, I think almost everyone agrees that IAD is a better option over EWR.
Coming back, yes usually do LX via ZRH if available if not LH via MUC
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice, just took the flight LAX-IAD and it was a super easy connection from terminal C to B. Much easier and less of a hassle than ORD

Originally Posted by FTstudent
Don't forget the LH lounge at IAD Terminal B. I rather like boarding the OS flight from the lounge instead of joining the scrum at the gate.
On my way to VIE and very nice feature to board from the Lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.