Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Other than status or getting Chase UA cards, how can I waive baggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are flying LAX-OGG in a few weeks and we have no UA status nor do we have any Chase UA cards. We will apply for those in the future, not ready for them yet. I want to just bring a couple carry-ons, but she won't be able to do it. I'm not thrilled about paying $25 x2. Any other ways I can avoid this fee?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
No. Either pack lightly or pay up.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
One checked bag and a carry on? Saves you 50% of the fees!

It's Maui, not like you need tops & tails.

Edit: Unless you meant the x2 being the r/t charge for just your wife checking a bag and not each of you checking one which would then be x4 for the whole trip.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Any other ways I can avoid this fee?
Pay for first. Lots of cheap UPDIs these days.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jclarke
Pay for first. Lots of cheap UPDIs these days.
+1

Paid upgrade...or even buy F fares from the start. You'd be surprised how reasonable they can be. Earlier today, I priced F fares at $1,312 r/t on UA and $1,256 r/t on AA, (from DEN for next month). Economy is usually around $900 r/t from here...other markets obviously could vary widely.

EDIT: Just Kayak'ed F fares out of LAX-OGG next month. $969 on HA and $999 on AA. $1,253 on UA. ($380 for economy is amazing! Wow...being based out of LAX has it's advantages, I guess.)

Last edited by unitedfflyer; Jan 4, 2016 at 10:19 pm Reason: Added info from Kayak.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The OP is trying to save $50-$100 on bags and people are talking about paid upgrades?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Unfortunately, no. There is no way to waive baggage fees. Unless one of you is a Premier member, or is travelling with a Premier member (1 companion per person for Silver/Gold) or you have the Chase card, I would suggest trying to fit everything on the two carry-ons each of you can take to avoid baggage fees.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The OP is trying to save $50-$100 on bags and people are talking about paid upgrades?
I must admit it was the first thought that came to me as well...

When bringing children home from college, or flying them there, I usually end up buying F for the baggage allowance.

2 bags, "Up to 62.0 linear inches (157cm) L + W + H and 70.0 lbs (32 kg) per bag"

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:56 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Depending upon how often you plan to travel in the next year , you may want to check out UA's baggage subscriptions. They cover your checked bags for a year. Just do the math to see if you would save overall. Check out UA's website for full details under "Subscriptions."
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
If you're planning some high-end meals there you could go to the Paia Fish Market instead. You'll save at least the $50 that the baggage cost and get better fish.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:21 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Also, pack just what you need and purchase some things when you get there. Wear swim suits and shorts under your pants. Wear 3 shirts & 3 pairs of pants.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'm sorry but if $25 is at issue then maybe Maui shouldn't be your destination. It's not cheap there.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
LOL, this is FT after all

I'm amazed at the kind of questions asked, and then even more amazed at the responses given!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sapguy
LOL, this is FT after all

I'm amazed at the kind of questions asked, and then even more amazed at the responses given!
Constantly amazed, never surprised.

I know some multi-millionaires who absolutely go nuts over the idea of a $25 baggage fee ... They go hours and hours out of the way just to avoid paying one.

Seems ridiculous to me, but maybe that's why they have the money (and I don't!)
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although probably not practical given the timeframe, OP could have bag charges waived by becoming an active duty member of any branch of the U.S. military. (Also gets early boarding.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.