United Explorer Card vs Chase Sapphire

Old Jan 5, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: MP Au, former 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I wish that was true. Alas, it isn't and I still hear comments from cashiers about how cool that card is.
I just re-requested a replacement card. Hopefully it'll be the metallic version. Otherwise I may have to write a letter to inquire as to how to get the metallic version back - I've not had one since the EMV version showed up a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 5, 16, 11:28 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by davewang202 View Post
I just re-requested a replacement card. Hopefully it'll be the metallic version. Otherwise I may have to write a letter to inquire as to how to get the metallic version back - I've not had one since the EMV version showed up a couple of years ago.
It'll be metallic, unless you specifically request a plastic card. I have a metallic EMV CSP.
Old Jan 5, 16, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
To the OP's question, I will add to the chorus of people saying get both cards. If you aren't going to spend $5K in 3 months, then get one of them now and the other after you have met the min spend on card #1.

I will also say that the United Club card may be a better deal than the Explorer. The UA Club card earns 1.5 miles per dollar on all spending, so it is a higher earn than the CSP for everything except dining and (non-UA) travel, and is a higher earner than the Explorer card for everything.

If one is planning to hit the $25K PQD spend waiver, then the Club card will net 12,500 more miles than the Explorer. At a value of 1.5 cpm, that's $187.50 right there. Less to the extent that some of that spend is on UA tickets, purchased directly with UA. It really comes down to whether you place value on the UC membership.

Personally, I have the UA Club and CSP cards as my 2 primary spend cards and they seem to be working really well. Of course, I also have an Amex Plat primarily because I love the Amex lounges, so I may be a bit weird.
Old Jan 5, 16, 2:34 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 View Post
If one is planning to hit the $25K PQD spend waiver, then the Club card will net 12,500 more miles than the Explorer.
Not quite. The Explorer card also awards a 10,000 annual RDM "bonus" once the $25K spend threshold is reached, which cuts the Club card's advantage at that spend level to 2,500 RDM. Since both cards award double miles for purchases made on United, it's even possible, given the bonus, for the Explorer card to yield more overall RDM than the Club card in certain circumstances.

An extreme example is the hypothetical cardholder who spends exactly $25,000 on United (and nowhere else).

A Club card would earn 25,000 x 2 = 50,000 RDM
An Explorer card would earn 25,000 x 2 + 10,000 "bonus" = 60,000 RDM
Old Jan 5, 16, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What is the Chase Sapphire card exactly? I know it's a credit card, but is it a Visa/Mastercard thing or is it its own brand? Can you use it internationally or only in the USA? I looked on the website, and I don't see a Visa/Mastercard logo on it

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 16, 8:46 am

Maybe I missed this but the PQD facts on the United website reference only 2014 and 2015 in terms of the waiver. Have they announced the same for 2016?
Old Jan 6, 16, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by daisyatl View Post
Maybe I missed this but the PQD facts on the United website reference only 2014 and 2015 in terms of the waiver. Have they announced the same for 2016?
Yes. UA Insider has confirmed no change the Chase waiver.
Old Jan 6, 16, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
What is the Chase Sapphire card exactly? I know it's a credit card, but is it a Visa/Mastercard thing or is it its own brand? Can you use it internationally or only in the USA? I looked on the website, and I don't see a Visa/Mastercard logo on it

Thanks.
It's a credit card issued by Chase (JPMorgan). It is a Visa card, and you can use it internationally (has a chip, which makes international usage much easier).
Old Jan 6, 16, 10:38 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Starriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Spire Amb; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post

Thanks.
It's a Visa Signature card. You can use it internationally with no foreign tx fees anywhere VISA is accepted.
Old Jan 6, 16, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
For me, the CPU upgrades on award tickets used to be extremely valuable when I was still 1K. As a gold last year, they didn't matter - I think I only had three paid segments upgraded. I really didn't find any of the other benefits of value. So, I'd say the benefits are huge if you have no status, and there is a pretty nice CPU benefit if you're a 1K. For most of the rest in-between there really isn't much benefit to the explorer card unless you need the PQD waiver.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much guys. I think I have a very clear idea of what I need to do.
It seems like I misunderstood the way this whole system works. I figured that right now, I am NOT a big spender nor am I a person that flies once a month (or more, as some of you might).
Right now I am with BoA, so I guess I will just transfer everything to chase and get the Sapphire and as a second card get the United Explorer (the Club card seems to be a bit overpriced for my needs).
This way it seems I will be able to enjoy some benefits of the UA while earning points slowly towards free flights and what not. And as for meals and other bookings (with other airlines), I can use the CSP.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Not sure if this was already said, but you can also cash out Chase Ultimate Rewards points for 1 cent per point. Since you earn 2 points per dollar spend on transportation, accommodations, and restaurants, this means you are getting effectively 2% cash back on travel-related expenses, which is pretty good.

Also, CSP provides primary insurance on car rentals.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
CSP provides primary insurance on car rentals.
CSP is probably the single best credit card out there for the frequent traveler. Chase customer service is also top notch.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes. UA Insider has confirmed no change the Chase waiver.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
It's a credit card issued by Chase (JPMorgan). It is a Visa card, and you can use it internationally (has a chip, which makes international usage much easier).
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
It's a Visa Signature card. You can use it internationally with no foreign tx fees anywhere VISA is accepted.
THanks everyone. This sounds like it's the way to go.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
There's an active Chase Ultimate Rewards forum on Flyertalk for further questions and discussion. Although a lot of it is manufactured spenders and churners discussing CC application denials and account cancellations. But they do know the rules and policies through and through.

Search this Thread