Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Quick!

I'm having a hard time debating between a E170 or A320 for an upcoming flight from LGA-ORD.

I know some of you might be saying "Why would you subject yourself to a regional jet for a 2.5 hour flight?

The only reason I'm asking is because I haven't flown on a A320 since they installed the slim lines. I am Premier Silver, so I'll probably be able to move into EconPlus, but are they just so stiff that they should be avoided, and thus, I should go with the E170? It's not a super important question, I'll survive either way, but I'm wondering what you guys might think. (Also, we're are two people, so I'm kind of leaning towards the E170 to avoid having a third person in our row.....)
I would always take a mainline a/c over a RJ. The A320 is a pretty nice aircraft, actually.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Quick!

I'm having a hard time debating between a E170 or A320 for an upcoming flight from LGA-ORD.

I know some of you might be saying "Why would you subject yourself to a regional jet for a 2.5 hour flight?
I've only flown a couple of times on a 170 and never in Y so I can't comment about seat comfort. But given a choice between UX and UA I would always select a mainline flight.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
I've only flown a couple of times on a 170 and never in Y so I can't comment about seat comfort. But given a choice between UX and UA I would always select a mainline flight.
I've flown E17x in the back a few times, and it became uncomfortable on a midcon before we landed. Every time
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I chose the Airbus a320 thanks to your input!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:41 am

Can anyone tell me from experience if FOX is on the United DirectTV channel lineup? Their website says it is, but FOX is not on their "What's On Now" guide.

I will be so bummed if i miss the Panthers/Seahawks game on Sunday!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:59 am

Mileage consolidation

We are travelling Business class from London to Panama in February and have joined the loyalty club.
Whilst there we will be travelling within Central America on Copa airlines which are part of Star Alliance.
What is the best way to combine the mileage onto Mileage Plus.
Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
A GPU was applied to one of my flights. The sponsor had 1K/GS status, while I only have Silver status. While in a call to the Premier desk they said that, for waitlist purposes, I would inherit my sponsor's status. Is that true, or was that a small mistake?

Originally Posted by lordgarner
We are travelling Business class from London to Panama in February and have joined the loyalty club.
Whilst there we will be travelling within Central America on Copa airlines which are part of Star Alliance.
What is the best way to combine the mileage onto Mileage Plus.
Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk, lordgarner!

Since Copa is part of *A, you can enter your other *A frequent flyer number on the flight, and the miles will get credited there. For example, if you are a frequent flyer with United and want to credit the miles to your MileagePlus account, just go ahead and enter your M+ number (indicating it's from United) and your miles will post there.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2016 at 10:37 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
A GPU was applied to one of my flights. The sponsor had 1K/GS status, while I only have Silver status. While in a call to the Premier desk they said that, for waitlist purposes, I would inherit my sponsor's status. Is that true, or was that a small mistake?
The published rules say status of the traveler, so the agent's comment was not consistent with what's published.

But if it's a GS GPU, it will clear into PN, which effectively means it inherits GS status for waitlist purposes.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Saver awards on seasonal flights

Does anyone know how far in advance United makes saver awards available for flights that are only flown during part of the year? E.g. UA 5268 and 5745 that are only flown in the summer months.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HariOm
Does anyone know how far in advance United makes saver awards available for flights that are only flown during part of the year? E.g. UA 5268 and 5745 that are only flown in the summer months.
Flight are available for booking roughly 330 days in advance. Awards seats may or may not be available at the same time. Seasonal routes may open up at the same time but they can be later. All one can talk about is the typical because for a given route UA may have reasons to do it later.

Also best not to assume flight numbers will stay the same from year to year.

For more on award space, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-2016-a.html
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
When booking flights and clicking the "details" tab, you can see all the fare buckets listed. For my last few bookings they always are grayed out. Is there a setting to turn on to actually see how many seats are in these fare buckets or are they really all "zero" when I have been searching flights.

Is there a third-party extension for browsers that make fare bucket information a bit easier to access?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by willryu
When booking flights and clicking the "details" tab, you can see all the fare buckets listed. For my last few bookings they always are grayed out. Is there a setting to turn on to actually see how many seats are in these fare buckets or are they really all "zero" when I have been searching flights. ..
If the flights are sold out F0 Y0 the purchase column should say "Not available"

Otherwise the system seem to be working as I just tested a booking.

Originally Posted by willryu
Is there a third-party extension for browsers that make fare bucket information a bit easier to access?
Fewer options than before but see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
I have a Y ticket that was upgraded to BF using a GPU. After that segment I have an 11h layover in EWR (I chose it to tour a bit of the city) and was wondering if that upgraded ticket would give me access to an arrivals lounge (if it exists). Getting breakfast would be amazing.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
wondering if that upgraded ticket would give me access to an arrivals lounge (if it exists).
Sorry, but United has no arrivals lounge at EWR.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have a Y ticket that was upgraded to BF using a GPU. After that segment I have an 11h layover in EWR (I chose it to tour a bit of the city) and was wondering if that upgraded ticket would give me access to an arrivals lounge (if it exists). Getting breakfast would be amazing.
The UC at EWR has showers, and you have access based on your BF arrival, but the clubs are airside, so you will have to re-clear security after clearing customs and immigration in order to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.