Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
MiltonFreedMan, if you wanted further confirmation, and have a united.com account, you can log in to it and you should see the reservation(s) displayed for your trip. You may also be able to print out a receipt that shows the positive space for the itinerary.
(Just as an aside, award tickets wouldn't book into P fare class, but so-called revenue tickets may, as a discount first or business class purchase.)
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Mileage Plus Gold
Y or B full fare Econ upgrades

United question: unfortunately for me they don't comp upgrades on ORD to Narita at the lowest Econ fares, but, does United offer the immediate upgrade to Business Class if I purchase a Y or B class full fare economy? Comped On that specific leg? I'm a premiere gold member. Similar to a previous inquiry, I'm just trying to see if this is an angle that might work
I'm a relative newbie. This may be an obvious thing, so,sorry and thanks

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by SST17; Jul 30, 2016 at 2:47 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SST17
United question: unfortunately for me they don't comp upgrades on ORD to Narita at the lowest Econ fares, but, does United offer the immediate upgrade to Business Class if I purchase a Y or B class full fare economy? Comped On that specific leg? I'm a premiere gold member. Similar to a previous inquiry, I'm just trying to see if this is an angle that might work
I'm a relative newbie. This may be an obvious thing, so,sorry and thanks

Sent from my iPad
There is no complementary upgrade for ORD-NRT; occasionally operational upgrades are made, in the case of economy oversale, but it is not common, and in that case the fare class is less important than status.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United question: unfortunately for me they don't comp upgrades on ORD to Narita at the lowest Econ fares, but, does United offer the immediate upgrade to Business Class if I purchase a Y or B class full fare economy? ....
No comp / Instant Upgrades on TPAC flights (or any non-CPU eligible flight) but Y/B fares tend to have the lowest mileage upgrade level and no copays -- but these are space available upgrades (R space).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:30 am

Thanks so much to both of you...which brings up this question. Usually I get ORD to NRT ( followed by an ANA leg to BKK) total usually runs about $800, plus $1200 and 60k miles for the upgrade to Biz Class. I make this RT 3 times a year... Any notion as to what paying up for Y or B and upgrading would require in miles and $$, and would it appear to be a wash, or would there be a benefit in doing that?. Ahh, and so I don't keep,asking simple questions, how could I check the comparisons myself? Again, thanks so much
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks so much to both of you...which brings up this question. Usually I get ORD to NRT ( followed by an ANA leg to BKK) total usually runs about $800, plus $1200 and 60k miles for the upgrade to Biz Class. I make this RT 3 times a year... Any notion as to what paying up for Y or B and upgrading would require in miles and $$, and would it appear to be a wash, or would there be a benefit in doing that?. Ahh, and so I don't keep,asking simple questions, how could I check the comparisons myself? Again, thanks so much
You can price the flights on United.com. Select "advance search" / "all search options" and scroll down to "Fare Preference", "Fare class" and enter Y,B. The resulting search will show the lowest fare and the Y/B fares. If you book in advance (multiple weeks) the delta will be very substantial.

Generally Y/B fares are more expensive than discount paid business fares. Y/B fares do offer more flexibility on changes and/or refunds.

As for the upgrade mileage+copays, see Interactive travel destinations awards chart

Short answer, going the Y/B approach is likely to be more expensive. It will help a little on the waitlisted priority if that happens. Y/B fares on long haul international are mostly used by those needing refundablitiy, and not those just seeking seeking upgrades.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:17 am

Great info. Very detailed. Much appreciated...Thanks so much..
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Need to fly DEN-YYZ RT Economy in Sept for business.

Way cheaper to book via AC than UA ($650 vs $1,500), but I'm Gold w/ UA and get PE seats at time of booking, etc. (Small regional jet, 2x2 so not necessarily a huge difference.)

If I book on AC, will I get any chance to pre-book my seats? Any access to PE? On the website it said "ask at the gate for seating."

Maybe I'm just spoiled and used to some benefits of Gold on UA, but $850 seems like way too much to charge my client for seat selection.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Need to fly DEN-YYZ RT Economy in Sept for business.

Way cheaper to book via AC than UA ($650 vs $1,500), but I'm Gold w/ UA and get PE seats at time of booking, etc. (Small regional jet, 2x2 so not necessarily a huge difference.)

If I book on AC, will I get any chance to pre-book my seats?
Yes, as long as you put in your MP#

As soon as you finish on AC, go to UAL.com, look under My Reservations and you will see your flight. Select change seats, and voila

And E+ does make a difference with 2X2 as well.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 31, 2016 at 8:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks, your post has me feeling relieved!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:49 am

Likely stupidest question ever asked, but..what does the acronym AC stand for?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Likely stupidest question ever asked, but..what does the acronym AC stand for?
Air Canada, it sounds like.

If you see an airline code you don't recognise, you can just search google for, e.g., 'AC airline' and it will usually figure it out.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:43 am

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:09 am

Need to fly IAH-SFO Economy on 10/1. airfare is surprisingly up ($667) for all days around this (only M class is available). Does not make sense. BTW, if you fly same date IAH-SFO-SEA, airfare is just $265.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by absdotan99
Need to fly IAH-SFO Economy on 10/1. airfare is surprisingly up ($667) for all days around this (only M class is available). Does not make sense. BTW, if you fly same date IAH-SFO-SEA, airfare is just $265.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
It's just how pricing works. Demand to get from IAH to SFO is higher than demand from IAH to SEA.

If you aren't checking a bag, you can book the one-way IAH-SFO-SEA and skip the SFO-SEA segment, but skipping end segments regularly could cause you to forfeit your Mileage Plus account entirely, so use discretion (and/or don't put your MileagePlus account on the reservation)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.