Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]
Thread on qualifying for 2016, Global Services 2016 Notifications (ONLY)

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Global First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available.
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:57 am

I'm new to GS and had a question about using GPUs to upgrade into PN that I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

I recently booked a flight for three people from SFO-LHR (saver economy plus GPU requested) many months in advance for which just about every premium cabin seat is open (including P inventory of ~8) but the PN inventory is zero. Previously I was under the impression that PN tracked to P, and that if there was space in one there should be space in the other. Is this not the case? Any thoughts on the likelihood of PN opening up in the near future (i.e. still a few months out rather than last minute)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I just got off the phone after a 16 minute hold, which has never happened before. Agent offered me a discounted Hertz car and a discount on Hotels.com which has also never happened. Has anyone else gotten those offers or similar ones from the GS desk?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I just got off the phone after a 16 minute hold, which has never happened before. Agent offered me a discounted Hertz car and a discount on Hotels.com which has also never happened. Has anyone else gotten those offers or similar ones from the GS desk?
There was a major blizzard that walloped the Northeast over the weekend. I was on hold for 20+ minutes yesterday. It is par for this course as the airlines try to return to normal. Under these circumstances, I would not think of asking for anything.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:39 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
No, I've more or less deduced that this is a symptom of getting rolled to 1K or GM agents. I'm 99% sure dedicated GS agents never do this, but given the call volume, lots more calls are rolling over.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Will never call during IRROPs (like the blizzard) for any frills/perks items, as above is inevitable, in addition to a long hold.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:49 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by ToroToro
I'm new to GS and had a question about using GPUs to upgrade into PN that I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

I recently booked a flight for three people from SFO-LHR (saver economy plus GPU requested) many months in advance for which just about every premium cabin seat is open (including P inventory of ~8) but the PN inventory is zero. Previously I was under the impression that PN tracked to P, and that if there was space in one there should be space in the other. Is this not the case? Any thoughts on the likelihood of PN opening up in the near future (i.e. still a few months out rather than last minute)?

Thanks!
PN does not track to P. It does seem like it's always supposed to be PN >= RN/R, but there are anomalies from time to time.

You have a much better chance of PN opening up in the days before the flight on a route like this but not that far out - those tickets sell (depending on season).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by CapHillDCFlyer
I'm one of those who received GS for 2015 on less than $40K (157K PQM/ $36K PQD). Not surprisingly, I wasn't invited back for 2016 (on 126K PQM / $33K PQD), though I did just receive a "challenge" offer (spend and fly $15K by May 2 and my GS will be reinstated until January 2017).
Is it known whether a challenge like this is generally available to 2015 GS who missed requalifying for 2016? Can you get it if you call and ask? Or only if you get an email?

Mrs. mwc8962 was GS for 2 years but fell short last year, but $15K by May 2 could be possible.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
access to lufthansa welcome lounge?

Does my GS status allow me to use the LH Welcome / Arrivals lounge in Frankfurt if I am travelling in Y? Normally this is only accessible with a business or first ticket, but the united globalservices benefits page does list this under "international partner lounges". Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
Does my GS status allow me to use the LH Welcome / Arrivals lounge in Frankfurt if I am travelling in Y? Normally this is only accessible with a business or first ticket, but the united globalservices benefits page does list this under "international partner lounges". Thanks
From LH, concerning Welcome lounges
Valid United Airlines MileagePlus Global Services card and boarding pass for a same-day inbound United Airlines intercontinental flight
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

Thanks!
My experience over the past two years is that if P=9 and PN=0, if you waitlist for PN, it usually clears in days. In one case last week, it cleared 45 minutes after it was waitlisted. It doesn't exactly track P, but high P inventory is a good indicator for success. As always, YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott lifetime plat, DL MM, Hertz President Circle
I am flying out of SFO to Tokyo in BF (upgraded PN). Will I have access to global first lounge in SFO and HND? Appreciate your help..
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:29 pm
glx

Originally Posted by sanjsfo
I am flying out of SFO to Tokyo in BF (upgraded PN). Will I have access to global first lounge in SFO and HND? Appreciate your help..
You'll have access to the GF lounge in SFO. In HND they use a contract lounge (Singapore IIRC), so no - only the biz lounge.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
What time does the GS checkin open at EWR? I have a 7AM flight on Saturday and was hoping to check it out on my way in.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Previously I was under the impression that PN tracked to P
Oh, FlyerTalk... Where a baseless statement gets turned into a fact after being repeated a few times. Unfortunately PN only tracks to PN.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:56 pm
glx

Originally Posted by flyinjer
What time does the GS checkin open at EWR? I have a 7AM flight on Saturday and was hoping to check it out on my way in.
5AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.