Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:35 am

So I filed two complaints, one each for my wife and I, on Tuesday, Feb. 23 through customer care. No response yet. Typical?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
EWR-LHR 8:30am flight 10+ hrs MX delay, M fare. SDCed to 6:10pm and got to Heathrow a day later than originally planned. Car service and hotel charged me a partial fee for ride/night not used. Wrote to UA after landing and received e-cert for $200 3 days later. I said this didn't cover my costs or inconvenience so rep call me and said she'd escalate it, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, it would've been nice if those certificates worked for intl UG copays or change fees since I don't really travel for pleasure.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
So I filed two complaints, one each for my wife and I, on Tuesday, Feb. 23 through customer care. No response yet. Typical?
Unfortunately, yes.

UA can take as much as 2 weeks to respond.

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
EWR-LHR 8:30am flight 10+ hrs MX delay, M fare. SDCed to 6:10pm and got to Heathrow a day later than originally planned. Car service and hotel charged me a partial fee for ride/night not used. Wrote to UA after landing and received e-cert for $200 3 days later. I said this didn't cover my costs or inconvenience so rep call me and said she'd escalate it, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, it would've been nice if those certificates worked for intl UG copays or change fees since I don't really travel for pleasure.
1. You are not SDCed. You are rebooked (SDC indicates you change your flight voluntarily without any issues).

2. Consider $200 as an adequate compensation. UA has always stressed that it is a goodwill, not a way to compensate your "loss".
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage
Flight from SNA to MCO with a connection in IAH. 6 hour delay in IAH when plane went MX. Offered $50 or 2500 miles. Seems a little low to me due to the inconvenience it caused (didn't land until 1:30 AM) Is this worth pressing, or should I accept what was offered?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KingofBongos
Flight from SNA to MCO with a connection in IAH. 6 hour delay in IAH when plane went MX. Offered $50 or 2500 miles. Seems a little low to me due to the inconvenience it caused (didn't land until 1:30 AM) Is this worth pressing, or should I accept what was offered?
What's your status with UA? What was your fare bucket? These determine their goodwill offers.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:24 am

No status, flying on L fare.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by KingofBongos
No status, flying on L fare.
That's about the bottom of the barrel in UA's market segmentation priorities, and they responded in kind. Don't take it personally.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:57 am

Gotcha. Well I guess I'll just take what they are offering.

Thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:44 pm

Hi Expert Travelers. Do you have advice on how to maximize compensation? Is a DOT complaint or a service like AirHelp or RefundMe a better way to go than United directly? We were 2 families of 4 (little kids) returning from PVR (Mexico) to EWR. We had the last flight out on the Saturday after President's week. It was scheduled to be 10:35pm when we booked it and United changed the schedule to 11:40pm. There was a mechanical issue that kept us sitting on the plane for two hours, so they cancelled the flight. Apparently the repair was made, but the crew had timed out and there were no replacements available. They booked everyone on a new flight at 2pm the next day and provided buses to hotels. We arrived at our hotel at 3:30am and were told to be in the lobby at 11am for the bus back. The hotel and bus driver were not paid, so the bus left and did not return. 30 minutes later, the hotel was paid all took independent taxis to the airport. Hours after arrival, we got a "customer appreciation" email with a link to an offer of $125 credit or 6250 miles per passenger. Oh, and our bag was delayed 3 days on the trip down. I think the offer is pretty lame.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by bkmama
Is a DOT complaint or a service like AirHelp or RefundMe a better way to go than United directly?
No. UA stresses that any compensation given, unless mandated by statutes, are a gesture of goodwill.

(AFAIK - the only statutory compensation available is IDB compensation.)

Hours after arrival, we got a "customer appreciation" email with a link to an offer of $125 credit or 6250 miles per passenger. Oh, and our bag was delayed 3 days on the trip down. I think the offer is pretty lame.
It is a fair compensation.

UA has the full discretion on how much you are entitled. What you think is completely irrelevant.

You can email to Customer Relations asking for more. Even UA is willing to up its offer, the amount offered will still not meet your expectation at all.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hi Expert Travelers. Do you have advice on how to maximize compensation? Is a DOT complaint or a service like AirHelp or RefundMe a better way to go than United directly? We were 2 families of 4 (little kids) returning from PVR (Mexico) to EWR. We had the last flight out on the Saturday after President's week. It was scheduled to be 10:35pm when we booked it and United changed the schedule to 11:40pm. There was a mechanical issue that kept us sitting on the plane for two hours, so they cancelled the flight. Apparently the repair was made, but the crew had timed out and there were no replacements available. They booked everyone on a new flight at 2pm the next day and provided buses to hotels. We arrived at our hotel at 3:30am and were told to be in the lobby at 11am for the bus back. The hotel and bus driver were not paid, so the bus left and did not return. 30 minutes later, the hotel was paid all took independent taxis to the airport. Hours after arrival, we got a "customer appreciation" email with a link to an offer of $125 credit or 6250 miles per passenger. Oh, and our bag was delayed 3 days on the trip down. I think the offer is pretty lame.
Welcome to FT, what is your status with UA and others on your reservation. I thnk you should work directly with UA. However regardless this seems like typical goodwill comp from UA for low or no status accounts. You may get them to nudge it up a bit with a polite, firm and factual reply to UA that their offer is not acceptable. Other than that, I would take it. 1 hour schedule change and overnight hotel seems right for the sitation.. On top if you have a receipt for the taxt back to the airport you could probably get that back as well. Good luck and Safe Travels
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:35 pm

If the compensation offer is $125 x 8 passengers, then it's really good.

Rather than going to DOT, AirHelp, etc., or going off in an angry reply, my advice is to politely and thankfully request the $125 offer for each paid ticket on your trip.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just a data point. A friend of mine with Premier Gold status got $150 for a one-hour delay. The flight was on time and ready for taking off. But pilot suddenly put a brake on the takeoff and returned to the gate to pick up an off duty FA, which resulted in a late arrival of ~1 h. My response to my friend was "no way." In my mind, he would be luck if he would get $50 from UA.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just a data point. A friend of mine with Premier Gold status got $150 for a one-hour delay. The flight was on time and ready for taking off. But pilot suddenly put a brake on the takeoff and returned to the gate to pick up an off duty FA, which resulted in a late arrival of ~1 h. My response to my friend was "no way." In my mind, he would be luck if he would get $50 from UA.
If what happened was really an aborted take-off, as you describe, then I'd expect the compensation to be higher than a run-of-the mill delay for late connecting crew.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Yes, it was an aborted take-off. I assumed that the other 48 pax did not request for compensation (50 seater; one pax was offloaded because of this offduty FA). The average compensation was, therefore, merely $3 per pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.