Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:53 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Wrote in about a 2h delay + broken wifi on a long TPAC. They gave me an e-cert, to follow. Did not specify the amount.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
WiFi did not work in the plane during my IAH-LAX flight and captain said that, after resetting it three or four times, he would give up and write it up for mx.

I send a comment to customer service so they could have it in mind and to make sure it was written up somewhere, and they said they would issue an ETC. They did not specify any values, but gave me a 3-5 business days period in which the T&C for the ETC would get to my inbox. I suppose this is the same timeframe in which I will get my ETC, since I can't find it anywhere else so far.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by helvetic
Wrote in about a 2h delay + broken wifi on a long TPAC. They gave me an e-cert, to follow. Did not specify the amount.
Got it. $250, not bad.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
Got it. $250, not bad.
I just got $75, but I'm Silver and it was domestic (IAH-LAX).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
I think I may be able to top most everything. We had a flight canceled from Omaha to Chicago on Saturday night after multiple emails announcing delays, and a 4 hour delay until they finally canceled the flight. It was rescheduled the next morning although they did put us up in a hotel and gave us meal vouchers. The next morning the flight was delayed again for 2 hours. We finally boarded the plane and were headed down the runway when the pilot slammed on the brakes. We returned to the gate and finally had to change plans. A total of 19 emails from United (I have all of them) announcing flight changes or delays. Returning home the next day (14 hours late) and an aborted takeoff. They told us twice there would be someone waiting at the gate with compensation. There wasn't. Received an email offering $75 for our inconvenience. I told them that was insulting. I am still negotiating with them. They are at $150. That's still insulting even though I'm only premier silver. I'm ready to move to SW unless they improve their offer quickly.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mclymerne
I think I may be able to top most everything. We had a flight canceled from Omaha to Chicago on Saturday night after multiple emails announcing delays, and a 4 hour delay until they finally canceled the flight. It was rescheduled the next morning although they did put us up in a hotel and gave us meal vouchers. The next morning the flight was delayed again for 2 hours. We finally boarded the plane and were headed down the runway when the pilot slammed on the brakes. We returned to the gate and finally had to change plans. A total of 19 emails from United (I have all of them) announcing flight changes or delays. Returning home the next day (14 hours late) and an aborted takeoff. They told us twice there would be someone waiting at the gate with compensation. There wasn't. Received an email offering $75 for our inconvenience. I told them that was insulting. I am still negotiating with them. They are at $150. That's still insulting even though I'm only premier silver. I'm ready to move to SW unless they improve their offer quickly.
I hear the peanuts are very tasty on WN.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Received an email offering $75 for our inconvenience. I told them that was insulting. I am still negotiating with them. They are at $150. That's still insulting even though I'm only premier silver. I'm ready to move to SW unless they improve their offer quickly.
For delays, UA compensates based on your cabin class and status.

Your time delayed was never a consideration.

Originally Posted by transportprof
I hear the peanuts are very tasty on WN.
Can they be bought ?

If so, it does not make them so LUV-able...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:09 am

Sounds about par for the course. You're getting a customer service gesture for being delayed as a Silver flyer. Unfortunately, while it sucks, I don't think you should be expecting anything major. For a short domestic flight in Y, where your ticket was at most <$250 each way; I don't think you can expect much more.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My JAX-ORD flight today cancelled due to MX. Got alternative routing and shortly later received an email from Customer Appreciation. Was offered 6480 miles or $125 ECert.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:09 pm

TATL flight canceled (MX) after 5 hour delay, got rerouted (to non *A airline, no lounge access, bad seats), was at destination 12 hours late. No offer of any kind, asked CS for something - nothing so far. If this is how new United rolls...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I am still negotiating with them. They are at $150. That's still insulting even though I'm only premier silver. I'm ready to move to SW unless they improve their offer quickly.
Bye. Enjoy the unassigned seating over there at WN.

-RM
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN-SFO.
DirecTV live channels not working.
5,000 miles for each of us.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:59 am

Need your feedback on United Goodwill compensation that i'm being offered

Hi!

I wanted to get your feedback on the following situation that happen to me in a united international flight:

In the meal service I was given a Vegetarian meal that had a considerable sized metal nail in the middle of the food (have pics of it). Thankfully I spotted it! but it could have gone really wrong!

I escalated this with United customer care, they are offering me the following as goodwill compensation:
-A better seat in my flight back (unclear if is economy plus, business or first)
-$600 or 30.000 miles

Does this seems as a fair compensation for a situation in which I could have been injured while flying in the middle of the Atlantic ?

I have no baseline here.. i'm not sure this is proper compensation for putting my health at risk !

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Juanadd
Hi!

I wanted to get your feedback on the following situation that happen to me in a united international flight:

In the meal service I was given a Vegetarian meal that had a considerable sized metal nail in the middle of the food (have pics of it). Thankfully I spotted it! but it could have gone really wrong!

I escalated this with United customer care, they are offering me the following as goodwill compensation:
-A better seat in my flight back (unclear if is economy plus, business or first)
-$600 or 30.000 miles

Does this seems as a fair compensation for a situation in which I could have been injured while flying in the middle of the Atlantic ?

I have no baseline here.. i'm not sure this is proper compensation for putting my health at risk !

Thanks!
I'm bringing a nail and a camera on my next flight!

Joking aside, yes, I'm surprised you got that much! Take it and stow the whining - I think the offer is more than fair since UA is taking your word for it! The compensation would have been much more if you had actually been hurt! If you wanted more compensation, you should have eaten the nail!

!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:11 am

thanks for the feedback, as I have no reference on their compensation policies.
When I saw it I couldn't believe it! showed it immediately to the person next to me... completely unreal event!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.