Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:19 pm
  #406  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 14,836
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
What's a "Polaris fare" - I don't recall ever seeing a fare that entitles a specific kind of seat?

edit: as opposed to a class of service of course
“Polaris business” vs “business”. Polaris is marketed with lie-flat.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #407  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DCA/IAD and RTW
Programs: UA GS, DL360, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
“Polaris business” vs “business”.
Maybe I haven't read in detail enough, but I've never see that in fare rules. Just spot checked four Europe fares and all say only:

"CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE."
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:21 pm
  #408  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 14,836
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Maybe I haven't read in detail enough, but I've never see that in fare rules.
Implicit with marketing and (most) stage lengths, not explicit in rules.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:19 pm
  #409  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,063
Is no one going to ask what the scheduled departure time was, and when the pax showed up at the gate?

That seems quite relevant.

And unless there's no one milling about the gate area when you walk up, how would they even know if you were there on time? Sometimes, rather than waiting in a long line, I wait until the line gets down to 1-2 pax before standing up. I might have been sitting at the gate for 25 minutes, well before the boarding cutoff. I'd be pretty miffed if they decided "group 1 pax didn't board in group 1, so we're giving his seat away".
canadiancow is online now  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:31 pm
  #410  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 3,191
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is no one going to ask what the scheduled departure time was, and when the pax showed up at the gate?

That seems quite relevant.

And unless there's no one milling about the gate area when you walk up, how would they even know if you were there on time? Sometimes, rather than waiting in a long line, I wait until the line gets down to 1-2 pax before standing up. I might have been sitting at the gate for 25 minutes, well before the boarding cutoff. I'd be pretty miffed if they decided "group 1 pax didn't board in group 1, so we're giving his seat away".
Happened to me on a recent domestic connection. I suspect they did not think I would make the flight as my connecting flight arrived late so gave away my first class seat. They tried to tell me I was not even booked on the flight so was able to show them my paper BP. I got a seat in economy. Domestic flight so kind of irrelevant of first vs coach IMO. Did not ask for compensation - just grateful to get on the flight since they tried to deny me boarding at all. Bizarrely my bags also made it. This was IAH. The trip back through IAH the upgrade list was not run with 2 seats available and yet 2 people sitting in them. I was #2 and #1 was sitting behind me. I am finding IAH a hub to avoid these days.
Aussienarelle is online now  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:36 pm
  #411  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DCA/IAD and RTW
Programs: UA GS, DL360, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Happened to me on a recent domestic connection. I suspect they did not think I would make the flight as my connecting flight arrived late so gave away my first class seat. They tried to tell me I was not even hooked on the flight do was able to show them my paper BP. I got a seat in economy. Domestic flight so kind of irrelevant of first vs coach IMO. Did not ask for compensation - just grateful to get on the flight since they tried to deny me boarding at all. Bizarrely my bags also made it. This was IAH. The trip back through IAH the upgrade list was not run with 2 seats available and yet 2 people sitting in them. I was #2 and #1 was sitting behind me. I am finding IAH a hub to avoid these days.
Hopefully not TOO much of a tangent, but was flying TP from RAI-LIS-LHR-IAD (before LIS-IAD existed) on a C ticket with confirmed LHR-IAD in the old Global First.

We left RAI nearly an hour late, leaving me a 40 minute connection in LIS. Bus gate, thankfully security and immigration were short, and arrived to gate at 25 minutes before departure. Scan my boarding pass and get the beep of doom. "Oh you were too late so you're not on this flight any more. We rebooked you later."

There was still a long line of people yet to board, but they'd "decided" 40 minutes wasn't enough so they offloaded me nearly two hours before departure...coincidence that LIS-LHR was overbooked and this was an easy way to deal with it?

They refused to do anything except rebook me arriving into DC over six hours later than planned...and refused to pay EU compensation.
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:43 pm
  #412  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 3,191
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Hopefully not TOO much of a tangent, but was flying TP from RAI-LIS-LHR-IAD (before LIS-IAD existed) on a C ticket with confirmed LHR-IAD in the old Global First.

We left RAI nearly an hour late, leaving me a 40 minute connection in LIS. Bus gate, thankfully security and immigration were short, and arrived to gate at 25 minutes before departure. Scan my boarding pass and get the beep of doom. "Oh you were too late so you're not on this flight any more. We rebooked you later."

There was still a long line of people yet to board, but they'd "decided" 40 minutes wasn't enough so they offloaded me nearly two hours before departure...coincidence that LIS-LHR was overbooked and this was an easy way to deal with it?

They refused to do anything except rebook me arriving into DC over six hours later than planned...and refused to pay EU compensation.
I had EU comp paid in such a situation LHR-SFO-SAN. Late arrival so removed me from my FC seat (but not others coming from the same flight who arrived at the gate after me). Told me they could put me in a coach seat so said fine as just wanted to get home and then they removed me from the plane so another late arriving pax could have the seat and made me wait for the next flight. I was so annoyed so not only did I put in for the EU compensation I went back over the prior 3 years and claimed it for all the other flights where they had done the same thing to me and I would only accept the cash amount. No more removing me from EU connecting flights after that. The trip where they gave away my first class seat did not even occur to me to claim for the downgrade. I am actually just wanting to get to my destination. I think they must have notes on pax that will not put up a fuss. They just did it once too often to me.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Aussienarelle is online now  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:06 pm
  #413  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,978
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is no one going to ask what the scheduled departure time was, and when the pax showed up at the gate?
OP stated they arrived as the door was closing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:04 pm
  #414  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,063
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP stated they arrived as the door was closing.
That doesn't really answer the question though.

I've had flights where the door closed at T-25 because everyone they were "expecting" was on board.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:04 am
  #415  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SJU
Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Posts: 1,519
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That doesn't really answer the question though.

I've had flights where the door closed at T-25 because everyone they were "expecting" was on board.
In this case I arrived a few minutes before departure time so it was technically within their right to upgrade someone else, however, I had the arriving gate agent call over to them that I was on my way which they apparently ignored. The main gate agent was unaware that my seat was given away and only on the jetbridge did the other gate agent inform me that my seat was taken and I had to take another seat. I was told I'd get a $50 voucher and a snack/drink voucher and could apply online for refund/further compensation. I received $150 voucher a day later.

I agree with another poster that the refund amount would be about $160. Not much but it is what it is.
chewy3 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2023, 12:13 pm
  #416  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What is downgrade comp for a 3300 mile dowgrade? Hopefully asking award ticket holders to downgrade is not a new thing driven by some policy change, It certainly never used to be.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35572173-post770.html
As an update to post #774, final compensation for the involuntary downgrade was redeposit of the original 135k mileage award, withdrawal of the lowest economy award on that route, 22.5k miles (after a 35 minute call with Mileage Plus to make this happen), and a $200 travel certificate valid for one year (after three written requests for compensation to Customer Care). What I learned from this is that if you are on an award ticket and are offered compensation to voluntarily downgrade consider an involuntary downgrade as a serious possibility if you decline.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
economyplusfan is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:11 pm
  #417  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 4,816
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
As an update to post #774, final compensation for the involuntary downgrade was redeposit of the original 135k mileage award, withdrawal of the lowest economy award on that route, 22.5k miles (after a 35 minute call with Mileage Plus to make this happen), and a $200 travel certificate valid for one year (after three written requests for compensation to Customer Care). What I learned from this is that if you are on an award ticket and are offered compensation to voluntarily downgrade consider an involuntary downgrade as a serious possibility if you decline.
It seems one should have been due $750 according to the wiki on this thread, but I don't have any experience claiming that retroactively.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:05 pm
  #418  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 1
Downgraded after I boarded and seated in First class. My original economy plus seat was also gone. I was made to sit in the first row that has walls around the seats to create a sense of added discomfort, pain and restricted blood flow ro the legs for heavier people..

They gave me $100. I returned it for now.

What do I do.
akiyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:18 pm
  #419  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,208
Welcome to FT!, akiyer
Originally Posted by akiyer
Downgraded after I boarded and seated in First class. My original economy plus seat was also gone. I was made to sit in the first row that has walls around the seats to create a sense of added discomfort, pain and restricted blood flow ro the legs for heavier people.. ...
What seat, what aircraft was this? Does not sound like any UA seat I am aware.

Originally Posted by akiyer
They gave me $100. I returned it for now.

What do I do.
Do you still have the BP? or an indication you were upgraded? When / How were you upgraded?
What route was this, compensation is based on the flight distance -- see thread's wiki (top post)
Do you have any UA status?,

Most should use
https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare
Xyzzy likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.