Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What compensation at the gate where you expecting? Meal voucher?
ETC. But as I said, I wasn't expecting it, given the combination of MX and the fact that they voluntarily got on a different flight. (Edit: to be clear, my "low expectations" remark earlier was referring to expectations of a TK credit)

If a delayed flight is the worst you have had in recent times (although it was 6 hours), then you had a charmed life.
Severely delayed flight is aggravating but understandable. The general attitude that my in-laws received from the half-dozen UA employees they talked to (various gate agents and phone representatives) — "I'm busy and probably can't help you anyway, go bother someone else" — is a nice reminder of why I left. Eventually they got one helpful phone agent who booked them on UA 2187.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Downgrade compensation or difference in fare refund?

I gave up my seat on a flight last week on a paid P fare, in exchange for a voucher. I was booked onto another flight in the forward cabin, but then went standby for an earlier flight, and was seated in Economy.

The agent at the united club refused to add me to the upgrade standby list on the standby flight as a displaced first class passnger, stating “they weren’t allowed to do that anymore.”

I’m not quite sure what to ask for from united. Should I be asking for downgrade compensation, or should I be asking for a difference in fare between my P fare and the economy fare? Original routing credit is a non issue because they put me in Y, so the flight posted with 150% PQM.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Downgrade doesn't really apply because you voluntarily changed to a different cabin via the standby. Probably worth asking for difference in fare, but even that might be a bit tenuous.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation. There may be a refund of the fare difference, but that would be solely as a customer service gesture as this was a voluntary change.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I’ll give it a shot through the refund webform; we’ll see what happens. Thanks for the insight!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe they will refund you the difference, although, as others already said, they aren't required to do.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
They rebooked you in a forward cabin and standby in economy. Once you took your economy seat YOU made the decision to take a lower class of service for that voucher.

IMO - anything else you get is goodwill - they rebooked you in your class of service - you chose to fly standby in economy
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
OP why did you your seat without knowing in advance what you would be getting in advance?
sorry just wondering
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I believe they will refund you the difference, although, as others already said, they aren't required to do.
United did refund me the difference in fare between my Purchased P fare and flying in Y. I submitted a request through the refund form and it took about a week. I’m actually pleasantly surprised.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Due to bad weather we (wife, infant and me) missed our connecting flight from BOS-MUC (onward then to MUC-HAM) booked in premium economy (it was a United ticket, BOS-MUC, MUC-HAM operated by LH). The agent in the lounge tried to get us the next flight out, but that was not until 2 days later since it was travel season and bad weather had hit the northeast two days in a row. So, everything was sold out, even on AF, BA etc which she was also looking into. The agent however managed to find us a flight to TXL instead of HAM in economy the next day, which we took.

I’m wondering if this is a case of being downgraded or not? Should we get any compensation?
I also noted that the flight we missed was a LH operated flight, thus EU 261/2004 could also apply.

P.S. Not sure if this is the right section to post this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
Due to bad weather we (wife, infant and me) missed our connecting flight from BOS-MUC (onward then to MUC-HAM) booked in premium economy (it was a United ticket, BOS-MUC, MUC-HAM operated by LH). The agent in the lounge tried to get us the next flight out, but that was not until 2 days later since it was travel season and bad weather had hit the northeast two days in a row. So, everything was sold out, even on AF, BA etc which she was also looking into. The agent however managed to find us a flight to TXL instead of HAM in economy the next day, which we took.

I’m wondering if this is a case of being downgraded or not? Should we get any compensation?
I also noted that the flight we missed was a LH operated flight, thus EU 261/2004 could also apply.

I am not an expert on these matters. However, in a similar weather situation where I couldn't get to the hub for my onward flight, UA booked me on another carrier and refunded the difference for the downgrade to economy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No it's a voluntary reroute. You are entitled to a refund of the fare differential.

And yes, EU261 would in theory apply since LH operated. Any EU261 compensation request should be directed to LH as the operating carrier.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
And yes, EU261 would in theory apply since LH operated. Any EU261 compensation request should be directed to LH as the operating carrier.
Are you sure? It sounds like the full itinerary was (UA domestic flight)-BOS-LH-MUC-LH-HAM. I'm not sure that a weather delay by a non-EU carrier on an itinerary connecting to an EU carrier qualifies. I certainly can't see how LH would be responsible, unless maybe the domestic flight was an LH codeshare, which sounds unlikely since OP mentioned a 016 ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Are you sure? It sounds like the full itinerary was (UA domestic flight)-BOS-LH-MUC-LH-HAM. I'm not sure that a weather delay by a non-EU carrier on an itinerary connecting to an EU carrier qualifies. I certainly can't see how LH would be responsible, unless maybe the domestic flight was an LH codeshare, which sounds unlikely since OP mentioned a 016 ticket.
I read it as an LH cancel at BOS, but if it was a domestic UA cancel, then I certainly agree.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

If all flight segments were operated by LH you might be better off contacting LH directly since, despite a codeshare, UA is really only acting as a travel agent if there's no UA metal on the ticket.
If this were UA (and UA261 didn't/wouldn't apply since it's not a flight departing the EU or with a EU based airline) UA's Rule 27(A)(3) would require a partial refund:

When a Passenger holding a Ticket for a higher class of service between a point of Origin and a Destination is required by the carrier to use a lower class of service for any portion of such carriage the amount of refund will be as follows:
  1. FOR UNRESTRICTED PREMIUM FARES: 50% of the prorated fare for that segment plus applicable variable taxes and fees.
  2. FOR SPECIAL AND RESTRICTED FARES: the lowest applicable fare at the time the ticket was purchased or the difference between the upgradeable and non-upgradeable fare type.
  3. This section does not apply to Passengers who purchase upgrades through miles and/or cash. If a Passenger pays for an upgrade that he does not receive, any recovery is limited to the amount paid for the upgrade in miles and/or cash.
Actually...reading that... if I buy a W or V fare, apply a GPU, and then am forced back to coach am I interpreting that correctly to say that I'd be eligible for a refund of the difference between what I bought (the "upgradable fare") and the lowest available (the "non-upgradable fare type")? Hmmmmmmm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.