Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is a downgrade thread and the poster did state
For reimbursements clearly, just the "reimbursable" option needs to be captured. The mixed class options seem to be aimed at the downgrade situation. But the point was to capture all the combinations in multi-segment situations can be outhand quickly.
When I went into my past itineraries to print a receipt, UA had reissued my itinerary with a completely new ticket #, and a new price that was around $200- less than my original. I assume that this means that they will refund the difference between the two tickets in cash. I'll report back what 1KVoice says when I hear from them.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I did indeed receive a cash refund for the difference between coach and F. Thanks for all the advice.^

One thing I learned from this situation is that Delta's new coach seat is more comfortable than UA's slimline seat. In addition, Delta's coach snacks are superior to UA's. I hadn't previously flown on DL in coach in at least 10 years.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Husband and I booked first class award saver from LAX-ICN-HND in October, returning on business class award saver NRT-ICN-LAX all on OZ metal and booked with UA points. I randomly took a look at our itinerary today and saw a schedule change notification, but nothing in the schedule actually has changed - flight #s , times, and aircraft identical to original itinerary, and nothing highlighted in red. Only change is a downgrade from first to business for LAX-ICN leg (13 hr leg!), but this still isn't highlighted in red.

Given that nothing else appears to have changed, I'm assuming that we got bumped from first to business due to priority (only UA Gold, husband is no status). Planning to call to ask about the change shortly, but wanted to see what I was entitled to in this case (award flights, *A metal, months out from itinerary). At the end of the day, we're fine flying in business, but would like to make sure we are compensated appropriately.

Am I entitled to mileage difference? Business saver vs. first saver is 30k miles per person - does it matter that there's no business/first saver availability currently?

Sounds like we aren't eligible for any additional compensation (GG OVS DOWNGRADE), since this isn't day of, but it does appear that we were bumped due to overbooking and not an aircraft/schedule change. Is this correct?

Would it be reasonable to request a different itinerary in business (i.e. a direct flight from LAX to NRT/HND on UA/ANA metal)?
Old May 20, 2019, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lindsheyy
Only change is a downgrade from first to business for LAX-ICN leg (13 hr leg!), but this still isn't highlighted in red.

Given that nothing else appears to have changed, I'm assuming that we got bumped from first to business due to priority (only UA Gold, husband is no status).
OZ is ending F service, that's why your reservation has changed.

Not sure if UA is giving miles refunds to reflect the F=>J downgrade. You're definitely not due any downgrade comp.
Originally Posted by lindsheyy
Would it be reasonable to request a different itinerary in business (i.e. a direct flight from LAX to NRT/HND on UA/ANA metal)?
I suspect UA would open space on its own metal LAX-NRT. For NH, you would need open award inventory, which can be tough to find.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure if UA is giving miles refunds to reflect the F=>J downgrade. You're definitely not due any downgrade comp.
I would think that the difference between partner F and partner J is a reasonable request that I expect UA would grant. After all, they'll be compensating OZ based upon the flown segment.

UA downgrade compensation is a customer service gesture specifically for UA-operated flights; it wouldn't apply even if this happened on the day of travel. Any such gesture for an OZ-operated flight would be provided by OZ (but don't expect anything).
Old May 20, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
OZ is ending F service, that's why your reservation has changed.
AH! Makes so much more sense - thanks for information. Will go dig around the Asiana boards for info, but will probably try to keep our first seats with downgraded business service and request a mileage refund. Thanks again!

EDIT: In case anyone has to deal with this, got 30k miles per passenger refunded (difference between business saver and first saver) and they were able to keep the record locator the same, so we're still booked in the first class seats!

Last edited by lindsheyy; May 22, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA *G, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold
Gate agent mistakenly upgraded me

Not sure if it's worth pursuing some points but as I was traveling this afternoon the agent at BZN offered me an upgrade to first for my flight from my E+ seat to SFO. I accepted and boarded the flight. When all but one person had boarded that person and the gate agent boarded and the agent apologized for a "mistaken" upgrade that he gave me and sent me to the back of the plane. By this point there was one seat in E- and that's where I ended up for the flight. Should I request some points from United since I didn't even get my original seat in E+ or just chalk it up to United being United?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by SFOpaul
Not sure if it's worth pursuing some points but as I was traveling this afternoon the agent at BZN offered me an upgrade to first for my flight from my E+ seat to SFO. I accepted and boarded the flight. When all but one person had boarded that person and the gate agent boarded and the agent apologized for a "mistaken" upgrade that he gave me and sent me to the back of the plane. By this point there was one seat in E- and that's where I ended up for the flight. Should I request some points from United since I didn't even get my original seat in E+ or just chalk it up to United being United?
Last time they did this I got an ETC right on the spot since I was cleared in the system and had an upgrade boarding pass.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I request some points from United since I didn't even get my original seat in E+ or just chalk it up to United being United?
Did you have an F boarding pass? How long prior to departure did the missing passenger arrive?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not sure if it's worth pursuing some points but as I was traveling this afternoon the agent at BZN offered me an upgrade to first for my flight from my E+ seat to SFO. I accepted and boarded the flight. When all but one person had boarded that person and the gate agent boarded and the agent apologized for a "mistaken" upgrade that he gave me and sent me to the back of the plane. ....
If you received a F BP or shown on the upgraded list, you are due downgrade compensation, even for CPUs -- see the wiki for the specifics.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA *G, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you have an F boarding pass? How long prior to departure did the missing passenger arrive?
I believe the passenger was there the entire time. I was given a boarding pass and was in line behind the passenger that ultimately ended up in 3D. The agent scanned his boarding pass and couldn't figure out what happened so he had him step aside. I don't blame the passenger at all, it's completely on United.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you ask for your original seat? I would have refused to take a E- seat in the back and insisted the passenger cleared into my seat needed to be removed and sent to that E- seat. I've been in this position before and that is exactly what I did and I got my seat back.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe the passenger was there the entire time. I was given a boarding pass and was in line behind the passenger that ultimately ended up in 3D. The agent scanned his boarding pass and couldn't figure out what happened so he had him step aside. I don't blame the passenger at all, it's completely on United.
If you have a new boarding pass, you should be eligible for GG OVS DOWNGRADE.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've actually been *that* passenger twice before. The first time, I had called in to institute a change on another part of the reservation and the agent unchecked me in without telling me (I had already checked in and had a boarding pass). I happened to be standing near the counter when the agent called someone up and told them "I have a new seat for you -- 3D", which was the seat number I had on my boarding pass. Fortunately I stepped right up and told him that I already had a boarding pass for 3D and he corrected the situation.

The second time, I had a short connection and the system had auto-rebooked me without me noticing. Got to the gate to scan my BP and the system didn't like it. Fortunately the person who had been upgraded into my seat had not yet arrived at the gate.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you ask for your original seat? I would have refused to take a E- seat in the back and insisted the passenger cleared into my seat needed to be removed and sent to that E- seat. I've been in this position before and that is exactly what I did and I got my seat back.
Really? No way I would have gotten out of my seat with a valid boarding pass......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.