Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
You were the last person upgraded or the only person upgraded?
I was the last person upgraded.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I doubt that they'd displace paid F anyone for a CPUed 1k, but if there were multiple CPUs I'd expect them to downgrade CPU in inverse status then fareclass order (e.g. starting with silver on K) if a downgrade was necessary. If they still need to downgrade after bouncing any upgrades I would expect that they do status over fare class in that populaton.
That's why I said I have my doubt about status goes first. I believe fare class goes first with DG.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by garykung
That's why I said I have my doubt about status goes first. I believe fare class goes first with DG.
I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule that always applies.

I do know that as an upgraded 1K I've kept my seat while paid pax were dg'ed.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule that always applies.

I do know that as an upgraded 1K I've kept my seat while paid pax were dg'ed.
+1

Mixed bag over the years though... as a 1K / GS, I have been relocated to a new seat when my row in F disappeared in a few instances. Others, I got the "see agent" and was downgraded / accepted downgrade / VDB from the flight (most cases involve an overall oversell).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Paid UA F to Y on Delta

ORD's ground stops today cancelled my flights and UA CS put me on Delta in Y, row 27 emergency exit row, on a 757, which I hope is a good seat for a tall person?

Since I was paid F on UA, should I get an adjustment to Y refund?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Since I was paid F on UA, should I get an adjustment to Y refund?
Yes. See if you can figure out what the Y fare would have cost if you'd purchased it at time you purchased your ticket. The default will be to a walk-up Y fare and that's typically inadequate. I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Good point, but I'd still trot that argument out if they tried to squeeze me on the refund with a walk-up Y fare.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes. See if you can figure out what the Y fare would have cost if you'd purchased it at time you purchased your ticket. The default will be to a walk-up Y fare and that's typically inadequate. I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Since work does not pay for Business Class, every time I purchase a Business Class ticket I do a screenshot of the price in Economy. That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Since work does not pay for Business Class, every time I purchase a Business Class ticket I do a screenshot of the price in Economy. That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
Not really -- you need a mixed class example (if RT). One direction in First and one direction economy -- to see the total pricing difference. Or book just oneways.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
^Thanks to you all. I'll try to reconstruct a mixed F/Y itinerary as a basis for negotiation and then, see what they offer.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:05 am

Not really -- you need a mixed class example (if RT). One direction in First and one direction economy -- to see the total pricing difference. Or book just oneways.
I see. I just need then to take multiple screenshots. All Economy, all Business (my receipt), RT with one direction in Business, RT with the other direction in Business. Good that I only have 3-5 trips per year where I'll need to do that. I don't do that for domestic trips as I can deal with Economy for a 5 hours flight.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 15, 2019 at 5:12 am
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:49 am

I see. I just need then to take multiple screenshots. All Economy, all Business (my receipt), RT with one direction in Business, RT with the other direction in Business. Good that I only have 3-5 trips per year where I'll need to do that. ....
How many times have you successfully made use of these screenshots??
Given the complexity of options including partial downgrades of some segments in a given direction, you could easily be talking 10-20 scenarios -- it does not seem to be worth the effort given the rarity ( at least for me -- well below 1% downgrade rate)
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
How many times have you successfully made use of these screenshots??
Given the complexity of options including partial downgrades of some segments in a given direction, you could easily be talking 10-20 scenarios -- it does not seem to be worth the effort given the rarity ( at least for me -- well below 1% downgrade rate)
If I understood what he was referring to was getting compensation from work NOT UA. In the past I did similar. I would book a biz fare (RT and my cost) and just show what the exact same flight was in coach booked on same day to corporate for reimbursement.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
If I understood what he was referring to was getting compensation from work NOT UA.
This is a downgrade thread and the poster did state
.... That's what I usually get reimbursed but I guess it could be useful in a case that United downgrades me.
For reimbursements clearly, just the "reimbursable" option needs to be captured. The mixed class options seem to be aimed at the downgrade situation. But the point was to capture all the combinations in multi-segment situations can be outhand quickly.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:51 pm

For reimbursements clearly, just the "reimbursable" option needs to be captured. The mixed class options seem to be aimed at the downgrade situation. But the point was to capture all the combinations in multi-segment situations can be outhand quickly.
The four combinations I mentioned above will work for me as when I manage to find a P fare, I'm forced to fly out and into ORD for my international long hauls. I cannot fly out of my city as last year that added $3,000 to the cost of every trip. And this year, United wanted $5,000 more when I booked my next trip to PVG (now it's back down to about $3,000 more). On a CR2 for less than 30 minutes wheels up-wheels down. But I do get your point that downgrades do not happen often. However, one time would be one time too many.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.