Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I booked a transon on a 787 in business (paid P or Z fare) and I've just discovered that the plan has been swapped to a 737. The flight is now two weeks away and switching is expensive if I pay the change fee and fare change.

I just called an agent who (nicely) told me to pound sand. Is there any chance of getting them to be flexible? They could fix this by rerouting my flight through a connecting city, in which case I'd be on regular F for a short haul and a business class set for the transcon.
CoC Rule 24(B)(7) defines IRROPS to include:
Substitution of aircraft type that provides different classes of service or different seat configurations.
They should allow you a free change. HUACA.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I booked a transon on a 787 in business (paid P or Z fare) and I've just discovered that the plan has been swapped to a 737. The flight is now two weeks away and switching is expensive if I pay the change fee and fare change.

I just called an agent who (nicely) told me to pound sand. Is there any chance of getting them to be flexible? They could fix this by rerouting my flight through a connecting city, in which case I'd be on regular F for a short haul and a business class set for the transcon.
As Kacee explained, you should ask again on grounds that you specifically booked for the 787.

Note that this is not considered a downgrade from Business unless you wound up in Economy. The class of service is determined by the route, not the aircraft, so your original 787 fare is actually 'United First', and the swap to 737 is still 'United First' in the premium cabin.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don’t confuse the agent by telling him/her you were booked in Business. You were booked in First (look at your reservation - it says ‘First’, not ‘Business’) and you’re still in First. Just say you booked the flight to be in a lie-flat seat and now it’s not.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Lidl Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee
Technically, you should be complaining to Copa, but that is not likely to get you anywhere.

In the past, when people have complained to UA in these circumstances, UA has sometimes offered miles, though it is neither their fault nor obligation.

(CM crew cut in front of me at security at SFO last week and they were unbelievably obnoxious. Not surprised to hear they stole your wife's seat.)
Thanks for the feedback - just to circle back with this thread, UA were prompt and polite, refunded the difference in miles between business and economy, and my wife got a $150 certificate, which seems fair. Better customer service than I normally get from British Airways!

Mikeybee
Old May 20, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
I had a scenario where I’m wondering whether typical downgrade compensation applies. I was traveling on an itinerary where I’d used a GPU - the overseas segment had cleared, but domestic had not up to day of travel. After the domestic flight closed, I was #1 on the upgrade list with 1 empty seat. My upgrade was cleared at boarding, and I boarded the plane with Group 1. Just before doors closed, the ground crew came on to advise that I needed to move back to economy, as they shouldn’t have given me the upgrade. Then they proceeded to clear the person who was showing as #3 on the upgrade list into the seat I’d been upgraded to. Seems like a mix of getting a confirmed upgrade downgraded, plus potential upgrade shenanigans. I took screenshots of the upgrade list before and after, so am planning to write 1kvoice. Flight length was a bit under 1000 miles. Any thoughts on what to expect? Am I entitled to downgrade compensation?
Old May 20, 2018, 8:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
... Just before doors closed, the ground crew came on to advise that I needed to move back to economy, as they shouldn’t have given me the upgrade. ... I took screenshots of the upgrade list before and after, so am planning to write 1kvoice. Flight length was a bit under 1000 miles. Any thoughts on what to expect? Am I entitled to downgrade compensation?
Yes, your are eligible and should recieve $200.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
I had a scenario where I’m wondering whether typical downgrade compensation applies. I was traveling on an itinerary where I’d used a GPU - the overseas segment had cleared, but domestic had not up to day of travel. After the domestic flight closed, I was #1 on the upgrade list with 1 empty seat. My upgrade was cleared at boarding, and I boarded the plane with Group 1. Just before doors closed, the ground crew came on to advise that I needed to move back to economy, as they shouldn’t have given me the upgrade. Then they proceeded to clear the person who was showing as #3 on the upgrade list into the seat I’d been upgraded to. Seems like a mix of getting a confirmed upgrade downgraded, plus potential upgrade shenanigans. I took screenshots of the upgrade list before and after, so am planning to write 1kvoice. Flight length was a bit under 1000 miles. Any thoughts on what to expect? Am I entitled to downgrade compensation?
So, I wonder what would have happened if you had refused to move? Would they call the police and drag you off?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by timbre
So, I wonder what would have happened if you had refused to move? Would they call the police and drag you off?
UA isn't supposed to do that anymore. The strategy now is they will offload everyone, then reboard.

Good way to score a lifetime UA ban.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
(CM crew cut in front of me at security at SFO last week and they were unbelievably obnoxious. Not surprised to hear they stole your wife's seat.)
FWIW - there is an unwritten rule that airlines/airport employees have priority on security.

Any thoughts on what to expect? Am I entitled to downgrade compensation?
As WineCountryUA mentioned, you are qualified for the downgrade compensation. However, I also believe you may arguably be eligible for the GPU redeposit, although I could be wrong.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - there is an unwritten rule that airlines/airport employees have priority on security.

As WineCountryUA mentioned, you are qualified for the downgrade compensation. However, I also believe you may arguably be eligible for the GPU redeposit, although I could be wrong.
There is also an unwritten rule that crews are polite, perhaps even apologetic, when cutting.

The GPU should be considered used even though downgraded on the flight in question, as the international segment did clear.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:07 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Interesting thread. I recently misconnected a GPU seat on the reconfigured 777 due to a late arrival cause by the fog in SFO. Tried to get rebooked on the following day’s flight, but that was already fully booked, so I decided to pull my GPU (since they couldn’t confirm me on any flights) and take a different flight on an aisle Y seat on a 787 with the 3-3-3 seating instead of a middle seat on the 777’s 3-4-3 configuration. Wondering if I could have gotten comped if I had kept the GPU attached to the ticket...?
Old May 22, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Wondering if I could have gotten comped if I had kept the GPU attached to the ticket...?
No. You would have just gotten a refund of the GPU anyway. At that point, it just becomes an uncleared instrument. The only way you would have gotten downgrade compensation is if they had rebooked you into the full J cabin on your new flight and then you got downgraded to Y. Since they were (correctly) refusing to do that, no compensation would apply.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fumje
There is also an unwritten rule that crews are polite, perhaps even apologetic, when cutting.
That I am with you.

The GPU should be considered used even though downgraded on the flight in question, as the international segment did clear.
See - this is the part I will never understand.

OP got the domestic segment cleared by GPU, not CPU. So undoubtedly OP paid for the upgrade.

If the GPU is considered used, shouldn't UA, at the minimum, issue a new RPU to OP make up the paid upgrade that OP did not get?
Old May 22, 2018, 11:43 pm

Exactly.

To make matters worse, every single one of them had problems with the screening. You'd think if you do this for a living, you'd know to take the coins out of your pocket.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
That I am with you.

See - this is the part I will never understand.

OP got the domestic segment cleared by GPU, not CPU. So undoubtedly OP paid for the upgrade.

If the GPU is considered used, shouldn't UA, at the minimum, issue a new RPU to OP make up the paid upgrade that OP did not get?
With few (UA->OAL and OAL->UA, to be specific) exceptions GPUs are applied in direction of travel, not on a per-segment basis. UA's rules are clear -- on an international itinerary, the GPU is considered "used" if the international segment clears (on wholly domestic itins, a GPU/RPU is considered "used" if any segment clears, IIRC with the exception of itins with a PS segment). The downgrade compensation is what is due here, since the OP's international segment cleared and the GPU is used; the DG makes up for the loss of the upgrade.

A couple years ago I flew MEL-LAX-CLE with a GPU. MEL-LAX cleared (and is the flight I proposed to my now-wife on), LAX-CLE we died at #1 and #2 on the UG list. (Never cleared). Essentially the same position as the OP except we never had a seat in the F cabin to begin with. GPU was still "used", and I'd much rather have the seat up front internationally than domestically if I had to choose. DG comp makes the OP whole for the inconvenience of the faux domestic upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.