Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why?

It is highly likely that he is substantially larger than his wife.
Where does this deduction come from?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why?

It is highly likely that he is substantially larger than his wife. The real advantage of the F/C seat on this length flight is space to avoid having to pull ones limbs in for hours and arrive in pain.

Not a zero sum game on this one. Not even close. [Unless the OP is similar size to wife]
I can't even with this
Old May 25, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Bonehead
You didn't give your wife the FC seat?

That was my immediate reaction! If PhysioWife and I were traveling in F and one of us got downgraded, regardless of which of us it was, I'd be moving back, not her.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I would shut up and keep the money and miles or else get dragged off the plane!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why?
I have to assume you're single.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not at all. For every employee who legitimately/contractually sits in first class, another 5 sit there because of their GA buddies. It happens and that's a fact.
Cite your sources. Anecdotes on FT don't count.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not at all. For every employee who legitimately/contractually sits in first class, another 5 sit there because of their GA buddies. It happens and that's a fact.
. LOL, you are not suggesting shenanigans are you!
Old May 25, 2017, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, the $500 customer service gesture is overly generous. It should have been $200 or $250 (I don't recall exactly) for the LAX-DEN segment. But, even if UA paid $0, all it is obligated to do is refund the fare difference, which it is doing.

Second, the whole frothing at the mouth thing about air carriers' decision as to how to fly employees, e.g. in F is absolutely standard practice worldwide. The b.s. about GA's taking care of their buddies is a tough one given the audit trail surrounding the $1,000 in vouchers and the likelihood that those UA employees were not upgrades but entitled to fly positive space in F.

Best result from all of this is for UA to handle all UG's at the gate. Nobody gets one until T-30 minutes when check-in closes for the flight.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
I personally know many g/a's throughtout the system. Everyone of them has told me unequivocally that upgrading or putting a stand-by friend on a plane (out of order)will get them fired immediately.

Every person higher that # 5 on the upgrade list thinks that there is some sort of grand conspiracy going on, and you can figure out who they are by their sinister look of despair when the announcement goes out, "First class has checked in full, please board when your group is called!"
Old May 25, 2017, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You made your wife sit in Y and you took an F seat?
Old May 26, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by adamzook
(they have not been after 48 hrs.)
The refund works similar to a e-ticket refund. So don't assume it has been processed.

Go to UA website and request the refund again.

Originally Posted by bmw303
IMHO your compensation was very generous ($500 + apology + miles refund) and so if I were you, I would not feel that any additional compensation was due.
+1

You are supposed to get $200 ETC only. And don't forget - your wife also got a free upgrade for OGG-LAX.

If this happened to other airlines, you may not get as much UA has given you.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by adamzook
My wife and I flew OGG-LAX-DEN and cleared both upgrades via Upgrade with Miles for the LAX-DEN segment about ~T-48. We got to OGG and had our boarding passes printed and were both still in 5A and 5B in First. Upon arrival at LAX I checked the app and noticed that she had been moved to 10F and had completely disappeared from the Upgrade list. Since her ticket still said 5B we (mistakenly) just let it roll rather than going to the counter to see if there were any issues.

Upon boarding, sure enough she had been moved and was told to go to the counter for her new ticket. At the counter she was told that the seat was sold as a revenue booking and that she'd be first to move up if anyone didn't make the fight, even though she wasn't on the upgrade list any longer. They apologized and gave her a $500 voucher and told her all of the points we have put down would be credited back (they have not been after 48 hrs.)

To add to the frustration there were two United employees in First Class and the flight was not completely full, my wife had an open seat next to her in E+.

While the $500 and supposed miles credit is appreciated we still have a pretty sour taste in our mouth as a result of this. Any suggestions or experiences to draw on for how we address this with United would be most appreciated.

(FWIW I'm Silver and she is Member and we were originally booked on the same itinerary (L Class.))
As many here can attest, I am not a fan of what United has become. Downgrades happen too often (which is a result of United not holding back F seats like they used to) and I feel your pain.

This said, in your case the outcome apology, refund of miles (so you got the long HNL-LAX for free) and $500 is a fair outcome IMHO, and was addressed appropriately.

Be glad you did not get the line some agents would have done, which is "we will give you a $200 credit, seating in F is not guaranteed, now go away"
Old May 26, 2017, 10:22 am

We did not get the OGG-LAX segment for Free in First, it did not clear for that segment. So we should getting most if not all of the points back, in my estimation (27,500 x 2.) The only segment that remained cleared for us was the LAX-DEN for my seat.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:22 am

FWIW -

Sometimes I have seen UA do this on upgrades...
  1. If you have a chance for an upgrade, GA asks you to not board to wait to see.
  2. Many people don't because all the overhead space tends to fill up.
  3. If everyone has boarded, GA clears the list and give the upgrade to the non-rev.

Others GA's will go onboard and have the person at the top of the list move up to first.

I have seen it both ways. That may explain how some have seen non-rev's get the seat in FC.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Global321
FWIW -

Sometimes I have seen UA do this on upgrades...
  1. If you have a chance for an upgrade, GA asks you to not board to wait to see.
  2. Many people don't because all the overhead space tends to fill up.
  3. If everyone has boarded, GA clears the list and give the upgrade to the non-rev.

Others GA's will go onboard and have the person at the top of the list move up to first.

I have seen it both ways. That may explain how some have seen non-rev's get the seat in FC.
In my experience, it is usually the latter scenario. The GA comes on board and presents a pax with a new boarding pass. Very often they check with the FA in F to see if there is overhead space available, so the pax knows whether or not to leave their bag where it is. With the increase in transparency, and mobile viewing of upgrade lists, it is probably harder for the pax who should be upgraded to pass over. Also, lately, I haven't heard too many GAs ask pax not to board because they may be upgraded. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.