Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 19, 12:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 11, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Can I also ask for a refund of the difference between K and W as it was on the day of purchase?
You could try. But I would say no.

At the minimum, you can't upgrade a TPAC/TATL with a GPU when you are booked in K. In other words, the origin of your downgrade and ETC came from the W.
Old Mar 12, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
You could try. But I would say no.

At the minimum, you can't upgrade a TPAC/TATL with a GPU when you are booked in K. In other words, the origin of your downgrade and ETC came from the W.
@sannmann ... please report back if you requested refund and what the status of that request is (for the difference between W and K).
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Smile 1st Time Downgraded...but turned out kinda better than First Class

First time I was downgraded on United after paying a cash upgrade to First weeks before flight...and actually didnít mind it.
Curious though what the priority order is for downgrades?

Hereís what happened:
  • Booked flight several weeks ago, a United 757-200 with 16 flat bed seats for a short 2 hour flight.
  • Paid to upgrade to first class on a "P fare shortly after booking
  • Checked in 24 hours before flight, still same plane, still my same seat, 1A
  • Plane swap 19 hours before flight to larger 757-200 with 28 flat beds, still in same seat 1A
  • Got email 15 hours before flight with a plane swap again back to 757-200 with 16 seats and that I will need to see an agent at airport for my seat
  • Called United 14 hours before flight and was told they canít assign the seat but will note in my record I originally had 1A and would like that seat again
  • Get to airport 2 hours before flight and told I was given bulkhead exit row window 7A
  • Asked about refund and what happened with the downgrade at check-in...agent wasn't helpful and said it happens from time to time. Say I should get a refund and to check on it soon
  • Went to gate and the Gate agent refunded the buy up amount, printed the receipt of the refund and gave me $200 voucher plus free drinks and snack boxes on the flight
  • He didnít go into details on how the list was prioritized but apologizes as they just found out before the flight
  • All in all ended up with a nice seat anyways for a short 2 hour flight, no one next to me, my upgrade refunded and $200 for future travel and free drink/snack box
  • And all that for someone who has NO status on United right now
  • And in case your wondering, still got the credit for ďPĒclass on the flight
Kacee, ajGoes and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ckidder331 View Post
First time I was downgraded on United after paying a cash upgrade to First weeks before flight...and actually didnít mind it.
Curious though what the priority order is for downgrades?
  • And all that for someone who has NO status on United right now
Status is the first tiebreaker; fare class is next.

What was your route? It's extremely rare for the 28F configuration to be used on anything besides the transcontinental routes.
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post

What was your route? It's extremely rare for the 28F configuration to be used on anything besides the transcontinental routes.
MCO-EWR
The flight attendants said they were swapping it back and forth yesterday for some reason

Interestingly, one of the MCO-EWR flights today was flown by a 767-400 with 39 business class seats!
Loads musta been HIGH
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ckidder331 View Post
MCO-EWR
The flight attendants said they were swapping it back and forth yesterday for some reason
Ah, OK, that makes sense. MCO is a 757 maintenance base. They must have changed their minds about which particular planes needed a check-up.
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I have my doubt on this.

Based on my last downgrade experience, I was the last person upgraded, CPUed from K to R (now PZ). I was a 1K at that time. And I am sure that I was not the one with the lowest status.
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
I have my doubt on this.

Based on my last downgrade experience, I was the last person upgraded, CPUed from K to R (now PZ). I was a 1K at that time. And I am sure that I was not the one with the lowest status.
You were the last person upgraded or the only person upgraded? I doubt that they'd displace paid F anyone for a CPUed 1k, but if there were multiple CPUs I'd expect them to downgrade CPU in inverse status then fareclass order (e.g. starting with silver on K) if a downgrade was necessary. If they still need to downgrade after bouncing any upgrades I would expect that they do status over fare class in that populaton.
Old Apr 13, 19, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
You were the last person upgraded or the only person upgraded?
I was the last person upgraded.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
I doubt that they'd displace paid F anyone for a CPUed 1k, but if there were multiple CPUs I'd expect them to downgrade CPU in inverse status then fareclass order (e.g. starting with silver on K) if a downgrade was necessary. If they still need to downgrade after bouncing any upgrades I would expect that they do status over fare class in that populaton.
That's why I said I have my doubt about status goes first. I believe fare class goes first with DG.
Old Apr 13, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
That's why I said I have my doubt about status goes first. I believe fare class goes first with DG.
I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule that always applies.

I do know that as an upgraded 1K I've kept my seat while paid pax were dg'ed.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule that always applies.

I do know that as an upgraded 1K I've kept my seat while paid pax were dg'ed.
+1

Mixed bag over the years though... as a 1K / GS, I have been relocated to a new seat when my row in F disappeared in a few instances. Others, I got the "see agent" and was downgraded / accepted downgrade / VDB from the flight (most cases involve an overall oversell).
Old Apr 14, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Paid UA F to Y on Delta

ORD's ground stops today cancelled my flights and UA CS put me on Delta in Y, row 27 emergency exit row, on a 757, which I hope is a good seat for a tall person?

Since I was paid F on UA, should I get an adjustment to Y refund?
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Since I was paid F on UA, should I get an adjustment to Y refund?
Yes. See if you can figure out what the Y fare would have cost if you'd purchased it at time you purchased your ticket. The default will be to a walk-up Y fare and that's typically inadequate. I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
...I think there's also an argument you're due downgrade comp.
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Standard practice is just a fare differential refund in the case of WX irrops. -- and getting it based on purchased time fares is going to be challenging.
Standard Downgrade comp is limited to oversell situations, not WX irrops.
Good point, but I'd still trot that argument out if they tried to squeeze me on the refund with a walk-up Y fare.

Search this Thread