Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weezl
Was on board a transcon flight, FA moved me from E+ to F after door closed. Moved overhead bin stuff. Disinfected my space. Settled in. Drinks, meal pref, etc.

Sat at gate in F for 30 min due to mechanical delay, then pilot opened door "per FAA regulations" (no such regulation I've heard of @30 min), then a previously misconnected pax boarded, and I'm sent back to E+.
Walk of shame, moved bin stuff again.

Called UA- told "sorry"

Pretty disappointed to have been treated this way. In the past, I had boarded a connection at 10 min prior to door close and was removed from my C seat- they refused to downgrade the guy in my seat that time; this time it was the opposite-- a double standard.
Many years ago I had a confirmed upgrade on a 747 LHR-IAD. Thanks to a late connection into LHR and a flat tire on the interterminal bus, I arrived to find that my upgrade had been given away. It reminded me that the most consistent thing about United was its inconsistency.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
United should offer you a downgrade comp voucher.
Spiff, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sannmann
United should offer you a downgrade comp voucher.
Did OP preserve the evidence of upgrade? He/she should write to UA with boarding pass or a screen shot of the upgrade standby list with an assigned seat.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. You say it was the FA that moved you, and it was after the door closed. They might have recognized your status from their device and moved you as a way to be nice. Doesn't sound like it was an official, cleared upgrade from the details given.

But If the door was closed, that means the flight was closed. So the GA opened the flight back up to board a late pax that just happen to get lucky his flight didn't depart yet?
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Was on board a transcon flight, FA moved me from E+ to F after door closed. Moved overhead bin stuff. Disinfected my space. Settled in. Drinks, meal pref, etc.

Sat at gate in F for 30 min due to mechanical delay, then pilot opened door "per FAA regulations" (no such regulation I've heard of @30 min), then a previously misconnected pax boarded, and I'm sent back to E+.

Called UA- told "sorry"

Pretty disappointed to have been treated this way. In the past, I had boarded a connection at 10 min prior to door close and was removed from my C seat- they refused to downgrade the guy in my seat that time; this time it was the opposite-- a double standard.
In light of potentially lack of record that you have been upgraded, it is impossible to get the downgrade compensation.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MM

Called UA- told "sorry"

Were you given a new boarding pass in F? If not, you weren't really "upgraded" but simply reseated by an FA.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Correct, it may not have been a "formal" upgrade, as it was the FA that came back to E+ for the move. I did not bother to check the upgrade list/seating chart at that point. No new BP
After the walk of shame, the FA told me that it was the GA that effected the change, and asked me if I wanted to disembark and ask her, or I could just call UA after the flight. I should have done the former, at least to get the GA name for proof that this happened. But I didn't want to be "that guy" that delayed re-boarding for my own benefit.
I have nothing now, and based on the comments here, will expect nothing. But hopefully UA Insider is lurking and sees how poorly I was treated so that maybe the next pax won't be so shamed.
Thx for all of your input.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Correct, it may not have been a "formal" upgrade, as it was the FA that came back to E+ for the move. I did not bother to check the upgrade list/seating chart at that point. No new BP
After the walk of shame, the FA told me that it was the GA that effected the change, and asked me if I wanted to disembark and ask her, or I could just call UA after the flight. I should have done the former, at least to get the GA name for proof that this happened. But I didn't want to be "that guy" that delayed re-boarding for my own benefit.
I have nothing now, and based on the comments here, will expect nothing. But hopefully UA Insider is lurking and sees how poorly I was treated so that maybe the next pax won't be so shamed.
Thx for all of your input.
If the flight was in the recent-ish past (last 24 hours or so) you should still be able to view the electronic BP in the app and/or pull the ETIR to confirm.

Regardless of if it was an official upgrade or not, it's still worth writing in -- just state the facts and don't go compensation hunting: I was seated, I was upgraded, I don't understand why after I was upgraded and had gone through the hassle of relocating my bags I had to re-relocate my bags and had to do the walk of shame. They might offer something for the irritation or it will at least go to the appropriate management teams where it could be a learning opportunity.
timbre likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Question for the more experienced than me in these situations. On a discount Y ticket, waitlisted 80 PP for Polaris. Day of departure I get an email saying I’ve been upgraded to Polaris and 80 PP has been deducted, unassigned seat. I go into my account and it shows a premium plus seat, though 80 PP was deducted from my account anyway. I’m going to have to write in to get 60 points refunded, but my question is does this count as an involuntary downgrade? Thanks for the insights! In case it matters, I was #1 on the Polaris upgrade list with two seats open, then later was still #1 when it showed booked full.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MTan
Question for the more experienced than me in these situations. On a discount Y ticket, waitlisted 80 PP for Polaris. Day of departure I get an email saying I’ve been upgraded to Polaris and 80 PP has been deducted, unassigned seat. I go into my account and it shows a premium plus seat, though 80 PP was deducted from my account anyway. I’m going to have to write in to get 60 points refunded, but my question is does this count as an involuntary downgrade? Thanks for the insights! In case it matters, I was #1 on the Polaris upgrade list with two seats open, then later was still #1 when it showed booked full.
Likely someone made a mistake and quickly reversed it. Sounds like you were downgraded and are technically entitled to comp, though UA may not recognize that. Worth writing in though. Curious, what fare class did you book into - PZ or RN? And what ultimately was reported as flown? RN?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Likely someone made a mistake and quickly reversed it. Sounds like you were downgraded and are technically entitled to comp, though UA may not recognize that. Worth writing in though. Curious, what fare class did you book into - PZ or RN? And what ultimately was reported as flown? RN?
Thanks Kacee, always appreciate your knowledge! I’m not sure how to check what I was booked into, but it was reported flown as O.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Thanks Kacee, always appreciate your knowledge! I’m not sure how to check what I was booked into, but it was reported flown as O.
O is a full-fare PPlus bucket, not an upgrade. I imagine someone has manually "fixed" your downgrade and put you in O. Without a Polaris boarding pass, it might be an uphill battle to get a downgrade compensation, but as Kacee mentioned, it won't hurt to write.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I’m not sure how to check what I was booked into, but it was reported flown as O.
Originally Posted by legalalien
O is a full-fare PPlus bucket, not an upgrade. I imagine someone has manually "fixed" your downgrade and put you in O.
Yeah that definitely indicates somebody manually "fixed" the reservation after you were upgraded (presumably to PZ).

I would send in a print of the email saying you were upgraded to Polaris, along with a copy of your BP showing you flew in PP, and request downgrade compensation, plus a refund of PP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
OK here’s an example from today what do you think? A buddy of mine was flying PTY-IAH-LAX his flight from PTY was delayed over three hours and 20 minutes due to crew issues. He was upgraded on that flight two days prior. Yesterday Houston to LAX flight cleared as well. He lands in Houston 40 minutes before departure of his Los Angeles flight. Runs through global entry heads through pre-check waits for the train to go to the C gates and he gets to the gate five minutes before departure. I noticed that under the flight status they extended the departure by in approximately five minutes stating that they’re waiting for connecting passengers and their luggage. He gets to the gate they gave him a E+ middle and denies his business class seat. He is a 1K though not that much of a FT savvy person. He was extremely upset and asked the gate agent to call the 1K desk. I said in hindsight with a quick text to him that he should’ve mentioned that he’s entitled to downgrade compensation and ask them to restore his business class seating. What are your thoughts on this and what compensation should be granted.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
he gets to the gate five minutes before departure.
This is the important detail. He was a no-show. His seat was forfeit at T-15.

I said in hindsight with a quick text to him that he should’ve mentioned that he’s entitled to downgrade compensation
Incorrect.

and ask them to restore his business class seating.
He would have been welcome to fly business class in an available seat on the next available flight. They weren't going to move someone else for him, nor should they have.

What are your thoughts on this and what compensation should be granted.
He should write a kind letter to 1K Voice, thanking them for the fantastic service he received, wherein they held a plane full of passengers to prevent him from having a much longer delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.