Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Milwaukee
Involuntary downgrade from Polaris to economy without notice. $1K?
At airport or earlier?
What route distance?
Was there an aircraft change or broken seat?
Purchased or upgraded?
Any explanation given?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Milwaukee
Involuntary downgrade from Polaris to economy without notice. $1K?
to prem eco or to eco?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At airport or earlier?
What route distance?
Was there an aircraft change or broken seat?
Purchased or upgraded?
Any explanation given?
ORD-AMS
At airport with no notice (a travel credit just arrived)
Down gauged then up then down again at the last minute
Germany is busy, but also "we're about to start downgrading 1ks " explanation
purchased upgrade from m fare I think (this is all for a friend on a separate pnr)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:31 am

Programs: United 1K
Earlier this week, I was booked in PremiumPlus (R class) from FRA to SFO on UA59 and had PlusPoints applied for Polaris upgrade to PZ class with me being 1K. When boarding began, I received the last spot on the list and was upgraded to PZ class and given a new seat (12L) due to a misconnect (so I was told). I had boarding pass in my hand and on app. My receipt on my account even still shows PZ business class for the flight. However, when I was boarding I was told the seat was not available anymore and 'downgraded' back to my R seat. Luckily I was given the seat I booked back. I've never seen this situation happen and wondering if this is still considered a downgrade, etc?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dat5286
Earlier this week, I was booked in PremiumPlus (R class) from FRA to SFO on UA59 and had PlusPoints applied for Polaris upgrade to PZ class with me being 1K. When boarding began, I received the last spot on the list and was upgraded to PZ class and given a new seat (12L) due to a misconnect (so I was told). I had boarding pass in my hand and on app. My receipt on my account even still shows PZ business class for the flight. However, when I was boarding I was told the seat was not available anymore and 'downgraded' back to my R seat. Luckily I was given the seat I booked back. I've never seen this situation happen and wondering if this is still considered a downgrade, etc?
yes it is. Downgrade is downgrade. You are due your +Ps back and the standard downgrade compensation.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:07 pm

Upgraded before boarding and then downgraded 20 minutes later

Curious what others think happened here:

On a last minute trip with a delayed BOS-SFO leg this evening I was in an E+ middle seat and decided to apply 20 PlusPoints to move up from eighth on the upgrade list to 2nd.

20 minutes before boarding, checked the app and saw 2x seats in J had freed up! I figured these were due to preemptive misconnects who changed flights. Then, while walking to the gate before boarding, I got the “you’ve been upgraded” text.

Boarded and settled into my new seat, but as the PDB arrived, the GA showed up and told myself and the other last minute upgrade that “the system had made a mistake” and we needed to go back to our original seats (both middles). Kinda bummed as I could’ve switched to an aisle if the upgrade hadn’t gone through.

From the FAs chatter while we were waiting to go back to E+, the couple that eventually took the J seats we were downgraded from sound like they were originally booked on the flight, but the FAs also seem confused how this happened.

As a 1K this is far from the first time I’ve been upgraded and then downgraded, but usually this happens when I get a last minute upgrade when they think there’s a no show who turns up.

I’ll report back if the FAs offer any comp to myself or the other passenger, but if not, is it worth asking the 1K email?

Otherwise, mostly curious if this is a common occurrence and if a “system error” is actually to blame or rather it was human error on either the GA or passengers?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did you save a copy of the upgraded BP, if so you are eligible for downgrade comp. Even without it, you may be able to claim the comp.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you save a copy of the upgraded BP, if so you are eligible for downgrade comp. Even without it, you may be able to claim the comp.
Unfortunately not, by the time it occurred to me my BP had already been reverted, but I have a screenshot of the “Confirmed” check mark with an E+ seat assignment. I think I’ll have to email to get my PP back anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Wouldn't the "you've been upgraded" text or email be sufficient to claim downgrade compensation?
Flying Machine and lgarbo like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Wouldn't the "you've been upgraded" text or email be sufficient to claim downgrade compensation?
Yep, realized that right after posting. Finished rest of the flight without any comp offer, emailed 1K voice, will report back!
jsloan and lotemblizej like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.