Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Jan 3, 16, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Old Feb 13, 20, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iplaybass View Post
*sigh* Itinerary is STL-FCO-VCE in paid J, and the first leg has been downgauged to an E145 without an F cabin. What can I do now? 2 hour legs in E- to hubs are the main reason I hadn't booked on UA in a dozen years. Now I've gone from E175 with a 737 backup, to E170 with no backup, to E145. What can I look forward to, a whole lot of nothing, or token miles? ("At least we got you to EWR. You pays yer money, you takes yer chances.")
Do you have something in mind that you want? Re-route through ORD or IAD?

E45s aren't so bad if you have a seat on the A side.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, Mariott Gold Elite, UA Silver, Lowly kettle across DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG.
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Do you have something in mind that you want? Re-route through ORD or IAD?

E45s aren't so bad if you have a seat on the A side.
Thanks for the immediate response.

No reroute possible to VCE without an additional stop and long (or impossibly short) layover somewhere in Europe on a partner. UA has a 6am N/S to EWR, but we'd end up spending from 9:30 to 18:55 in the PL. No offense, but I really don't want our 25th anniversary trip of a lifetime to start or end on an E145. It's still E- pitch, and that kills my knees. My back isn't a fan of anyone's E- seats as well. Does this warrant a free change, or a cancel and refund?
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:26 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
*sigh* Itinerary is STL-FCO-VCE in paid J, and the first leg has been downgauged to an E145 without an F cabin. What can I do now? 2 hour legs in E- to hubs are the main reason I hadn't booked on UA in a dozen years. Now I've gone from E175 with a 737 backup, to E170 with no backup, to E145. What can I look forward to, a whole lot of nothing, or token miles? ("At least we got you to EWR. You pays yer money, you takes yer chances.")
I didn't know that E145's had the range to do STL-FCO.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No reroute possible to VCE without an additional stop and long (or impossibly short) layover somewhere in Europe on a partner. UA has a 6am N/S to EWR, but we'd end up spending from 9:30 to 18:55 in the PL. No offense, but I really don't want our 25th anniversary trip of a lifetime to start or end on an E145. It's still E- pitch, and that kills my knees. My back isn't a fan of anyone's E- seats as well. Does this warrant a free change, or a cancel and refund?
Anything is going to be up to the discretion of an agent, but yes I think you could get the change fee waived - and probably positive space on UA metal which is why I asked if there was a different routing that you would consider. Are you just going to VCE, or also FCO? There are many other UA hubs to route through to get to Europe, any of STL-ORD/IAH-FRA/MUC/ZRH-VCE have options.

The key is to decide on a reasonable resolution first, and then call to ask politely. Blank complaining isn't going to go very far.

You might be able to argue for a refund, but what would do with it? Cancel your trip to Venice because of a single E45 segment?
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Diamond Amb;
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
They don't... the routing cannot be correct as posted by OP... the only routing from STL-FCO on E145 is through EWR...

Last edited by Buzzman; Feb 13, 20 at 9:52 am
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Mariott Gold Elite, UA Silver, Lowly kettle across DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG.
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Argh. STL-EWR-VCE, return FCO-EWR-STL. Mea culpa. I should know better. DW would also love to avoid doing FCO-VCE on arrival.

Anything is going to be up to the discretion of an agent, but yes I think you could get the change fee waived - and probably positive space on UA metal which is why I asked if there was a different routing that you would consider. Are you just going to VCE, or also FCO? There are many other UA hubs to route through to get to Europe, any of STL-ORD/IAH-FRA/MUC/ZRH-VCE have options.

The key is to decide on a reasonable resolution first, and then call to ask politely. Blank complaining isn't going to go very far.

You might be able to argue for a refund, but what would do with it? Cancel your trip to Venice because of a single E45 segment?
It's always better if you can say "I want this because my flight changed." Been doing that a lot with AA and DL lately. The refund would go to travel on another carrier (probably BA/IB through AA). When researching flights, UA had some ridiculous layovers in FRA/MUC/ZRH to VCE. Anywhere from 50 minutes to 5 hrs. Restriction was I wanted to land by noon or thereabouts, not 1pm or later. I'll look to see if there's better options EU transfer options now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 20 at 1:38 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Diamond Amb;
Argh. STL-EWR-VCE, return FCO-EWR-STL. Mea culpa. I should know better. DW would also love to avoid doing FCO-VCE on arrival.

Change your ticket, spend a night in Rome and take a train...
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always better if you can say "I want this because my flight changed." Been doing that a lot with AA and DL lately. The refund would go to travel on another carrier (probably BA/IB through AA). When researching flights, UA had some ridiculous layovers in FRA/MUC/ZRH to VCE. Anywhere from 50 minutes to 5 hrs. Restriction was I wanted to land by noon or thereabouts, not 1pm or later. I'll look to see if there's better options EU transfer options now.
You can do STL-ORD-FRA/MUC-VCE with a CR5 to ORD; I can't really say anything about their suitability to you since I have no idea what you consider a non "ridiculous" layover. I would much prefer 0h50 in FRA to many other things, including 1h30 from an Express flight to TATL at ORD.

I imagine if you push for a refund you might get one, but it would be harder.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:46 am

Thumbs up

Leaving a day earlier and spending the night in Rome is, unfortunately, not an option...

You can do STL-ORD-FRA/MUC-VCE with a CR5 to ORD; I can't really say anything about their suitability to you since I have no idea what you consider a non "ridiculous" layover. I would much prefer 0h50 in FRA to many other things, including 1h30 from an Express flight to TATL at ORD.

I imagine if you push for a refund you might get one, but it would be harder.
Thanks. When I was researching the FRA/MUC connection threads, it didn't seem like 50 minutes was a reasonable connect time with checked baggage. Is that not the case? Would love to have a plan B. The CR5 (as I understand) is fine. Much more spacious than their (CRap-7) original shells. DW starts getting antsy if there's a second 2+hr layover mid-trip, but she approved the original itinerary with about 2:45 in EWR and the PL. This itinerary has already changed twice, and I'm fairly sure our seats are going to change to/from EWR (showing non-Polaris), so it's not unlikely I could see another change.

NB: There's been a lot of schedule changes and downgauging to/from STL across DL, AA, and UA in the last 2 months. It's not a unique situation, but I know how to handle on the other 2 carriers. Literally haven't flown UA in a dozen years.

Again, thanks for your help.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 20 at 1:44 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. When I was researching the FRA/MUC connection threads, it didn't seem like 50 minutes was a reasonable connect time with checked baggage. Is that not the case? Would love to have a plan B. The CR5 (as I understand) is fine. Much more spacious than their (CRap-7) original shells. DW starts getting antsy if there's a second 2+hr layover mid-trip, but she approved the original itinerary with about 2:45 in EWR and the PL. This itinerary has already changed twice, and I'm fairly sure our seats are going to change to/from EWR (showing non-Polaris), so it's not unlikely I could see another change.
CR5 is highly regarded, and also STL-ORD is only 258 miles

Checked baggage is not a concern for making a connection in either FRA or MUC; it will be transferred for you and bags almost always make connections faster than passengers do. I'm very familiar with FRA; you would only need to clear passport control (no security) which usually isn't too bad of a line so 50 minutes is quite easy if your inbound is on time.

That being said, the main reason I have no qualms about the short connection in FRA is that worst-case you are in Europe and it's the morning. There are going to be tons of other options for getting you to VCE that day, including several later nonstops. And because of the way Eurobiz works, you're virtually guaranteed not to get downgraded (although you're still in Eurobiz ). Even if you misconnect, it's just not that big a deal. Whereas, misconnecting in ORD involves trying to find two Business seats across the Atlantic, later in the day with less frequency, and fighting a UA agent who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to cram you into a middle seat in Y. If connections over 2h00 make you antsy, you're definitely going to have to deal with the occasional tight connection; the ability to go from A to B with no stops on your perfect schedule is the main reason people fly private
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 5, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Question about this. First time it's ever happened.

Booked a ticket this week for weekend travel. Today (48 hours before the flight), my first segment was downgauged from an E175 to an E145 with no first class. I was already upgraded and confirmed in first class.

Does downgrade comp apply to this segment now?

Great job (aka, sarcasm) of United even notifying me that the plane changed. Now the reservation shows me still in confirmed first class but my seat assignment is in coach and unchangeable even though other seats are open in the app. Super frustrating. If I call and ask them to change my seat then they'll change my cabin and I won't be eligible for the downgrade comp I imagine.

Just wondering how this is handled normally.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Mar 5, 20, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
No, but you're eligible for a free re-route or a partial refund. (It will likely be very small). You might also get an ETC for the trouble. Downgrade compensation only applies when there's a first class cabin on the plane and you're not in it.
Old Mar 5, 20, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Question about this. First time it's ever happened.

Booked a ticket this week for weekend travel. Today (48 hours before the flight), my first segment was downgauged from an E175 to an E145 with no first class. I was already upgraded and confirmed in first class.

Great job (aka, sarcasm) of United even notifying me that the plane changed. Now the reservation shows me still in confirmed first class but my seat assignment is in coach and unchangeable even though other seats are open in the app. Super frustrating. If I call and ask them to change my seat then they'll change my cabin and I won't be eligible for the downgrade comp I imagine.

Just wondering how this is handled normally.

Thanks,
-RM
I had this happen to me once ... they did end up giving me downgrade compensation. I was on a P class ticket. I think it makes a difference if you "paid" for it or not. The flight was less than an hour so the compensation was minimal.
Old Mar 5, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, but you're eligible for a free re-route or a partial refund. (It will likely be very small). You might also get an ETC for the trouble. Downgrade compensation only applies when there's a first class cabin on the plane and you're not in it.
I think you missed in my original post that I was upgraded. I did not pay for FC. So I don't believe any partial refund is due. Was just asking about downgrade comp and whether it's expected in this situation or not. Thanks.

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 20, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you missed in my original post that I was upgraded. I did not pay for FC. So I don't believe any partial refund is due. Was just asking about downgrade comp and whether it's expected in this situation or not. Thanks.

-RM
Sorry, yes, I missed that. No partial refund, but you should still be able to turn it into a re-route, and you might even get an agent to put you back into first class (no guarantees though).
RobOnLI likes this.

Search this Thread