Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 1, 21, 1:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 25, 19, 5:10 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post

imactually on the phone with United right now and they show that we were upgraded and then downgraded in their system fortunately. She confirmed That the GA should have issued compensation but when I told she pushed back on the upgrade being a “mistake” she didn’t seem willing to provide it. May call into the 1K line shortly and see if they can do anything faster than the feedback page.
Quoting myself to provide an update and see what people think.

My 1K friend submitted feedback and they got back to her in 2 days (I haven't received my response yet). They offered her and I $300 ETC each for the downgrade. Should we push back for $1000? Flight was DEN-LHR and were downgraded last minute after using GPU and being upgraded an hour earlier.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Quoting myself to provide an update and see what people think.

My 1K friend submitted feedback and they got back to her in 2 days (I haven't received my response yet). They offered her and I $300 ETC each for the downgrade. Should we push back for $1000? Flight was DEN-LHR and were downgraded last minute after using GPU and being upgraded an hour earlier.
You qualify for the downgrade compensation. $300 isn't enough.

Do you have screenshots of the BP's in biz class? If not, do you have a screenshot of the screen showing your upgrades cleared? Without this, UA could play dirty and deny your compensation.

Just a note for everyone out there, I always take screen shots of my boarding passes when I'm upgraded just in case this ever happens (it never has involuntarily).
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:51 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
You qualify for the downgrade compensation. $300 isn't enough.

Do you have screenshots of the BP's in biz class? If not, do you have a screenshot of the screen showing your upgrades cleared? Without this, UA could play dirty and deny your compensation.

Just a note for everyone out there, I always take screen shots of my boarding passes when I'm upgraded just in case this ever happens (it never has involuntarily).
I have screenshots of the upgrade clearing, but forgot to get boarding pass. United confirmed they saw us upgraded and then downgraded and admitted to it via email response where they provided the $300 compensation. I have not received a response back from my submission (was told I need to wait 18-21 business days although my 1k friend was responded to within 1 day). I'm not sure if I can reply back to the customer care email that was sent to me (started by my 1K friend) apologizing for the situation or if I should wait for my feedback to be responded to.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I have screenshots of the upgrade clearing, but forgot to get boarding pass. United confirmed they saw us upgraded and then downgraded and admitted to it via email response where they provided the $300 compensation. I have not received a response back from my submission (was told I need to wait 18-21 business days although my 1k friend was responded to within 1 day). I'm not sure if I can reply back to the customer care email that was sent to me (started by my 1K friend) apologizing for the situation or if I should wait for my feedback to be responded to.

Thoughts?
I would respond to them to compensate you for front cabin oversale, and that the UA policy is a $1000 TCVA voucher for being downgraded on a flight greater than 4000 miles in length. Send them the screen shot again. It may be good to have your 1K friend put in for this, as those CS agents are more responsive.
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
I would respond to them to compensate you for front cabin oversale, and that the UA policy is a $1000 TCVA voucher for being downgraded on a flight greater than 4000 miles in length. Send them the screen shot again. It may be good to have your 1K friend put in for this, as those CS agents are more responsive.
I actually just realized that United replied to my request and not my friend's... apparently they don't pay attention to their responses though. The intiial response providing $300 compensation said sorry you were downgraded. The follow up response said sorry for confusion denied boarding, if you had qualified for it the DOT requires the gate agent to provide compensation... lol. They already admitted we were downgraded and are now dodging the request for appropriate comp, or they just have no idea what they are doing.
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...denied boarding, if you had qualified for it the DOT requires the gate agent to provide compensation... .
If you flew on the same flight, DB is not a consideration
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If you flew on the same flight, DB is not a consideration
That's my frustration... I have had 3 back and forths with customer care now and they aren't being very helpful. Should I submit another feedback form or is there another avenue? They do seem to reply to my email responses though it takes a day or two.
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That's my frustration... I have had 3 back and forths with customer care now and they aren't being very helpful. Should I submit another feedback form or is there another avenue? They do seem to reply to my email responses though it takes a day or two.
Have you specifically asked for GG OVS compensation (with the screenshots {BP would have been better} changes to support the request)?
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:21 pm

Have you specifically asked for GG OVS compensation (with the screenshots {BP would have been better} changes to support the request)?
I did put GG OVS into the last reply. Will see if that helps.
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:52 pm

well this was a first. Customer care called me this morning while I was burning time in Polaris lounge in SFo. They must be tracking me and seeing that I do actually spend money.

said he ran my request by escalation and they said they needed to investigate before giving more compensation. They wouldnt let him do it himself. Should have a response by Tuesday. Very friendly person however.
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:20 pm

I did put GG OVS into the last reply. Will see if that helps.
well thats that. Just received escalation response. Denied full gg ovs compensation and was told matter is closed. Not a good showing United..
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

well that’s that. Just received escalation response. Denied full gg ovs compensation and was told matter is closed. Not a good showing United..
If you can get any documentation from the GG OVS screens (maybe a FT member here can email you a screenshot or document if someone has a copy), just file a small claims case for the full $1,000 and force UA to spend $10,000 in legal fees going to court and try to explain to the judge why you are being denied the proper compensation which is set by policy. Maybe when they get service of process, they will cough up the remaining $700 that they owe you.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
.... just file a small claims case ....
Perhaps before doing that (and consuming a fair amount of time), a note to the CEO's office, Oscar, is worth a try -- there are dedicated staff to address such issues when regular custoner support muffs such a clear cut issue.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I have screenshots of the upgrade clearing, but forgot to get boarding pass.

Thoughts?
If you don't have an upgraded boarding pass - and UA has told you to basically pound sand - my opinion is as UA said, case closed.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
If you don't have an upgraded boarding pass - and UA has told you to basically pound sand - my opinion is as UA said, case closed.
Not sure why I need a boarding pass anymore... UA MileagePlus customer service and customer care have both admitted via phone and email that we were downgraded. They are just ignoring the GG OVS compensation.

Search this Thread