Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:09 pm

Downgraded LHR - EWR

Myself and my son were on a plus point upgrade and my wife and daughter were on award miles. Due to equipment change, we got downgraded from Polaris to economy. 46 seats down to 16. What should I expect by way of compensation? I am a 1K. My biggest issue is that I purchased award miles to pay for my wife and daughter’s ticket as i was short miles to the tune of $2000. I know additional mile purchases are not refundable, but they were purchased specifically for this flight.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lpro1111
Myself and my son were on a plus point upgrade and my wife and daughter were on award miles. Due to equipment change, we got downgraded from Polaris to economy. 46 seats down to 16. ...
Under "GG OVS" or "FRONT CBN OVERSALE" (see thread's wiki) for a EWR-LHR downgrade Polaris to economy, if a last second change does not get the full compensation does get return of upgrade instruments and extra miles

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 8, 2023 at 3:25 pm Reason: Last minute aircraft change
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:18 pm

thank you. Is that cash back to my card or travel certificate?
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
….I purchased award miles to pay for my wife and daughter’s ticket as i was short miles to the tune of $2000…
Unfortunately, one of the risks of buying miles directly. You’ll get miles back, but no $ outside of downgrade comp.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thank you. Is that cash back to my card or travel certificate?
The dollar amount may not apply if this was a last minute equipment switch but the return of the upgrade instrument and return of mileage for Polaris should be returned-- need to call MileagePlus Service Center for both

However an inconvenience comp (ETC) is likely on a message to 1K email
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Scenario: You have a confirmed plus points upgrade on second leg of connecting itinerary & you are unbooked from that second leg prior to departure due to late inbound, with your freed-up seat in first given to another traveler. However, ultimately you do end up making the connection, and are seated in economy. Is that a "downgrade" subject to compensation?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by physioprof
Scenario: You have a confirmed plus points upgrade on second leg of connecting itinerary & you are unbooked from that second leg prior to departure due to late inbound, with your freed-up seat in first given to another traveler. However, ultimately you do end up making the connection, and are seated in economy. Is that a "downgrade" subject to compensation?
In my experience, nope. United thinks they were doing you a favor by rebooking you and making sure you had a seat. Unfortunately, in my experience, sometimes even getting back on the original flight can be a challenge if they've cleared people on standby.
physioprof likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general, no. However, you might have an argument if (a) you never consented to the change and (b) you arrived at the connecting flight prior to T-15 (domestic) / T-30 (International), at which point your seat assignments were subject to forfeiture regardless.
SPN Lifer and physioprof like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
In general, no. However, you might have an argument if (a) you never consented to the change and (b) you arrived at the connecting flight prior to T-15 (domestic) / T-30 (International), at which point your seat assignments were subject to forfeiture regardless.
The only reason the connection was made was due to the second leg flight departing late (supposedly the flight was closed & then reopened to accommodate late connectors), so I'm nearly certain that the pax wasn't at the gate at T-15 relative to the scheduled departure time.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reason the connection was made was due to the second leg flight departing late (supposedly the flight was closed & then reopened to accommodate late connectors), so I'm nearly certain that the pax wasn't at the gate at T-15 relative to the scheduled departure time.
How about T-15 relative to the last published departure time prior to the door closing? If no, then definitely no downgrade compensation is due. If yes, you might have an argument, although I wouldn't care to estimate your chances.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:35 pm

How about T-15 relative to the last published departure time prior to the door closing? If no, then definitely no downgrade compensation is due. If yes, you might have an argument, although I wouldn't care to estimate your chances.
I don't know the answer to that question. I do know that the pax ended up back on the original connecting flight after offloading via the waitlist. I will assume that the gate agent followed proper protocol for offloading late-arriving pax, in which case it does sound clear that no downgrade compensation is due. Thanks for your input!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS Premier Gold, Skywards Gold and Flying Blue Petroleum Club
CRP-IAH-MSY Upgraded then downgraded

Hi FT,

I was booked last week CRP-IAH-MSY and had previously upgraded my booking to an economy plus seats (paid). When I went to check into my flight, the first leg showed no seat assignment which was weird because I had prepaid for a bulkhead economy plus seat the week prior. I did a little more digging and it appears that I was upgraded to first but not assigned a seat, I called the airline and was told to figure it out at the check-in counter. I arrived at the airport the next day and was given an exit row seat in economy. Should I request a refund on my prepaid seat and should I expect compensation for the lost upgrade?

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbelyeu
Hi FT,

I was booked last week CRP-IAH-MSY and had previously upgraded my booking to an economy plus seats (paid). When I went to check into my flight, the first leg showed no seat assignment which was weird because I had prepaid for a bulkhead economy plus seat the week prior. I did a little more digging and it appears that I was upgraded to first but not assigned a seat, I called the airline and was told to figure it out at the check-in counter. I arrived at the airport the next day and was given an exit row seat in economy. Should I request a refund on my prepaid seat and should I expect compensation for the lost upgrade?

Thanks.
What status level do you have? What digging did you do to show that you were in F?

In general, you paid for E+ and got E+, so I wouldn't expect a refund. Downgrade compensation would be appropriate if you actually were in F.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS Premier Gold, Skywards Gold and Flying Blue Petroleum Club
I'm silver. The united app certainly said I had been upgraded to F, as well as the person I spoke with on the phone. I don't know if they had a aircraft change or if someone else was given my seat.

What status level do you have? What digging did you do to show that you were in F?

In general, you paid for E+ and got E+, so I wouldn't expect a refund. Downgrade compensation would be appropriate if you actually were in F.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbelyeu
I'm silver. The united app certainly said I had been upgraded to F, as well as the person I spoke with on the phone. I don't know if they had an aircraft change or if someone else was given my seat.
In that case, you should ask for downgrade compensation. If you happen to have as screenshot or an F boarding pass, that will help, but it should be listed in their system regardless.

No E+ refund for a silver who moves to F via CPU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.